newbie: question about breastfeeding and baby sleeping through the night

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
I'm a new mom to be . I plan on breastfeeding my baby and I have a few questions about it.

My husband will be interning at 2 law firms this summer (he's a law student) so he really has to put his best foot forward. Our baby is due 1 week before his internships start. He's not worried about the baby waking him up when she arrives (in May), but I'm a little worried, because he doesn't operate well on little sleep.

I was just wondering if we should plan on him sleeping in another room for the first month or so? I heard that the first month is usually the toughest, especially since breastfed babies wake up more often to eat, but I was wondering how often they usually wake up in the beginning and when they start waking up just 1 or 2 times a night?

Thanks

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

April 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Every baby is so different and how much they eat is different. Every 2 hours is normal during the first month if memory serves correctly. I did not BF so not sure when you will go to less feedings. You might want to pop into the breastfeeding mommies board and see if they might have a better answer for you. Good luck and congratulations!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was waking up every 2-2.5 hours the first 6 weeks. It is just this week that he is sleeping more. I know every baby is different tho....

April 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since this is a related question, I'll go ahead and hijack the thread and ask.

For those of you who co-slept, did you feel that you got more sleep that way? In some of the books I've read, it talks about just rolling over and give the baby a breast, and the mom can even sometimes fall asleep while breastfeeding. The mom can usually wake up when the baby is just a little bit fussy and not all-out crying, which might save the dad from waking up. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do this because I'd worry about smothering the kid (not that my boobs are THAT big ). It sounds great in theory, though, and hopefully is better than having to go down the hall to get the baby out of her crib.

April 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
dunerchick's Avatar Super Mommy
In the first few weeks he woke up sometimes every hour every half hour maybe go for a 2 hour stretch but then by the time he was about 8 weeks old he slept through the night ( I consider that 3-4 hours ) ds slept right next to my bed so I was able to hear him wake up and feed and change him before he made a peep my husband didn't even know there was a baby in the room.

Just cause I don't post much doesn't make me less active just means I may not give a **** about a certain topic. :-)
April 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I agree they're all so different.

My daughter woke up every 45 minutes for the first 3 months Then every 2 hours from 3 - 9 months. Then suddenly slept all night.

My son slept in 6 hour stretches from day one.

Both breastfed and both co-sleeping.

I do suggest co-sleeping or at least having baby in your room because I couldn't imagine getting up and going to another room every time baby woke up. We put the crib up with the movable side taken off and pushed it right up against our bed, that way baby had his own bed but i could roll over and grab hiim easily.

Good luck!
April 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I suggest co sleeping too, or at least having baby in a bassinet next to the bed. My first was an awful sleeper and he woke up every couple hrs at first, he just slept in bed with us most the time where I could quickly and easily give him a boob My second slept for long 6-8 hr stretches with in weeks of being born. He did not (still doesnt) like to sleep in our bed. If he woke up to eat, he would eat and then fuss until I put him back in the bassinet.
I think its great you want to help DH do his best but I would strongly advise against having baby in another room so early. As long as you respond quickly to the baby and I can almost bet you will, DH probably wont even stir!

May 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we co-slept and I never lost any sleep If you're breastfeeding co-sleeping is totally safe, if you're bottle feeding (even pumped milk) it is not as safe.

I just left my boob out of my tank top and she would latch herself on and I would sleep right through it. people always asked me if I was worried about rolling over on her, and I would respond "Do you roll off the edge of the bed at night? No? Because you KNOW its there"..your mother's intuition is very strong.

If you think about it, how scary for a brand new baby to get put in a crib in another room (or even in the same room) far away from his momma that kept him safe and warm for the past 40 weeks?

Babies who sleep in a different room have a much higher SIDS rate as well. Keep your baby close

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
I did the cosleep to for my last 2 kids and it is save. You can even get one of those cosleep cribs that attach to your bed if you are concerned. If the hospital tells your to wake up your baby for feedings every three hours don't. The baby will let you know when they need to be fed. The quicker the get adjusted the quicker you will have btter sleeping periods through the night.

May 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I highly recommend co-sleeping. You wake a little at first for the first while, but after a little while you don't even really wake when feeding.
July 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Super Mommy
2-3 hours for the first 2 months is pretty normal with breastfeeding. I slept with the baby in a seperate room from DH for a few months because he had to go to work. DH would take the early shift most nights and do one bottle feeding of pumped milk and give me 4 to 6 hours of sleep. This worked for us but you have to find what works best for you. I found it was better if both DH and I got some sleep alone while the other took care of the baby then for both of us to be in the same room and be waking up every 2-3 hours.
August 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this is an old topic but, for those that are afraid to co-sleep or aren't comfortable with sleeping while a baby is in their bed, you can try doing some of these things but, not full time co-sleeping.

I had my daughter in our room for the first 5 mos(basically she was sleeping through the night and nursing after 8 hours of sleep) I would put her down in the pack n play so she started off in her own bed. I also wanted her sleep trained and to get used to being by herself. When she would wake to eat, she came in my bed and nursed side by side. I often would fall asleep and she would sleep next to me for awhile. I would sometimes switch her if she was still hungry, or if she was really out and I woke up, she would go back in her bed. She usually went right to sleep if it was early after getting her diaper changed and her tummy full.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search