New mom and need advice on fussy babies!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little guy is 3 weeks old and ever since he turned 2 weeks he has become very fussy. He is on soy formula after trying gentlease which did nothing, and I'm not so sure the soy is really helping any either with his gas. He cries after eating a lot and balls up, arches his back, pumps his arms and legs, etc. I am pretty sure this all points to gas. Mylicon drops have done nothing for us and my pedi put him on reflux medicine (zantac) which I am also pretty sure isn't doing anything so I am thinking about not giving it to him...I don't like him being on a prescription this young.

I am trying EVERYTHING to help him and to lessen the crying as it is so extremely stressful. We burp him a lot, try to keep him still after he eats so he doesn't spit up (we are down to about 1 big spit up a day now which is good for us) and are using Dr. Browns bottles after trying drop ins which we hated b/c they leaked, the liners broke all the time, and we couldn't tell how much he was drinking in order to burp him often.

Do any of you have any tips/advice for me? I am thinking about trying some different bottles as he seems to suck down his formula a lot...the level 1 nipples for the Dr. Brown bottles don't seem to have a very slow flow, thinking about trying their preemie nipples to see if he would maybe eat a little slower which would help with air intake.

I have also heard ventaire bottles are good? I don't know, but the Dr. Browns are doing nothing to help him! I just feel so helpless and everyone keeps telling me this is normal and will pass in time, but I am just so stressed and feeling like a terrible parent all the time! Any help or advice on anything that has worked for you will be much appreciated!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

May 5th, 2010, 03:36 PM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my son was gassy too,and i promise it will pass.We used drop in bottles and similac sensitive.Have you tried gripe water?It worked great for us.we also did alot of warm baths with lavender,messaged his belly after feeding,did the "bicycle" with his legs to get some of the gas out,lay him across your legs and just rub his back.i'm sorry your having such a rough time,i hope it gets better!

May 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
does he need to be on the soy formula? Soy lacks a necessary element crucial for brain development and can make babes fussy if they're not Lactose Intolerant.

Zantac is also pretty useless in babes, try taking him to the chiropractor. That is the best and surest way to get rid of newborn reflux They don't adjust an infant the way they would adjust us, it's very gentle and babies sleep right through it. My daughter went at 3w old until she was 9w old. She has slept 12 hours straight since she was 9w4d old (which is a LOT for a breastfed babe)...also, if you must feed him formula try using a cup to feed him. Bottles can make babes really gassy, so using a small dixie cup and going very slowly can help a lot

here is some info on soy formula. If your baby MUST have it, then clearly you have no other choice (unless you want to re-lactate, which you still have time to do!)
but a lot of mom's feed it simply because they think soy is better

Soy Alert—Soy Infant Formula - Better than Breastmilk?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor guy My daughter switched from a happy baby to a fussy baby like a light switch at a few weeks old. She did all the things you described with your son. We bicycled her legs, kept her upright after her feeding, she slept in her bouncer for awhile because that's the only way she wouldn't freak out & scream. Drops did nothing, we tried warm baths. You just knew she was in pain. We tried different bottles, & eventually settled on Ventair & it seemed to help a bit, but when it didn't do enough we knew something else had to be up. Some bottles make miracles happen with certain babies. Even though we didn't want to do the medicine route either, the doctor put her on Zantac & it helped for a bit, but it's based on weight & so sensitive that it would stop not too long after we went up a dose. We switched to Prevacid & it was WONDERFUL. Our happy baby was back!

Hopefully someone else has some better answers for you. Ours was silent reflux, so that solved our problem. It's a very stressful time when you know your baby is upset/in pain & you can't help them. You are not a terrible parent, you are trying everything you can to make him happy. I hope you find something that gives him (& you) relief soon.

May 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
My daughter was also gassy - not all the time but she would have nights where she would cry up for an hour and just scream bloody murder. We also used Dr. Brown's so I'm no help with the bottles. Mylicon was hit or miss with us. What helped was the "football hold"... I don't really know how to explain it other than you kind of but not really interlock your hands and hold your baby across them with one arm in between their legs and the other in between their arms with their head laying on your arm. And while cradling your baby with one arm, you massage the belly with the other hand. The bicycle also helps. Good luck!

May 2013 July 2014
May 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My son was like that. I agree maybe see if similac sensitive or another brand would work better. We also put our son to sleep on his belly. I know bad mommy . But it helped to relieve the pain for him and he slept better. Before that he was a cranky monster. Also I did talk with his dr before hand and she agreed if it helps let him do it. I hope you find some relief for him soon.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 6th, 2010, 07:49 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Got nothing to add , but I hope he gets to being not so fussy!
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We also had that problem. I think we tried 5 formulas before we finally found Similac Sensitive RS to be the best. My LO was also on Zantac. Gripe water did seem to help some. Besides all of that and the frequent burping, etc, the only cure was time. But I would definitely try the formula....it is made for babies with sensitive tummies who spit up alot. Good luck!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
May 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our son got this way at about 3 or 4 weeks old.He was very gassy and colicky.
We tried everything!gripe water,gas drops,riding around in the car,bicycling motions with his legs,patting his back,Dr. Brown bottles and Vent air bottles......you name it we tried it.His pediatrician switched his formula 4 times and FINALLY by the time he was 4 or 5 months he was so much better.So I don't know if it was the formula or colic....

The only thing we found that helped before it got better was to turn on a vaccum cleaner(big or hand held) and it was like turning off a light switch.Something about the noise soothed him.There were many a night we fell asleep in the rocker with the vacuum going.

May 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Angelica81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Angelica81
My youngest DS was to quote my Dr 'on the extreme end of colicky'. He started at about 2-3 weeks and it finally got better around 6 or 7 months (didn't get completely better until closer to 9 months). He did take meds for it but we found the BEST thing to calm him down immeidately was very cold gripe water. Other things that worked were car rides and putting him in his infant carrier and putting it on the dryer while it ran (obviously we stood right there with him). Just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it will get easier. Good luck

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search