Be your own advocate

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was offered an NT Scan. I decided to go for it, since it was just a simple test...

I was told that it was more likely than not that my daughter had some kind of chromosomal abnormality, like downs or trisomy 21 or 18 or something. They immediately started scheduling me for other tests, including the CVS to be done the next day. NOTHING was explained to me. I was left in a room by myself with my sleeping 1 year old, having just been told there was probably something wrong with my baby.

The Dr. returned and started talking to me about my "options" which included termination of my pregnancy. When I told him I wouldn't terminate for any reason, especially Down's syndrome (which is far from a death sentence...I know some of the other chromosomal abnormalities are much more severe...) he looked at me like I was crazy. When I tried to ask about the CVS and the risks, he brushed me off and left the room.

I canceled the test. In my opinion, there is NO reason to have an invasive, risky test when termination is not on the table. The risk of miscarriage with CVS is about 1 in 360. There are other tests that can be done later in pregnancy for Down's like the quad marker screen and if they are worried about heart defects, there is also the fetal echocardiogram, both of which I did have. After lots of research, I found out that the amount of false positives on NT scans were VERY common. I had no risk factors, no family history, and was only 26 years old.

As you can see in my siggy-my daughter is pretty darn perfect. She is healthy and intelligent and amazing.

The reason I am writing this here is because I really believe in being your own advocate. If you don't know what the Dr. is talking about, it is impossible to make educated decisions. Googling can be scary because of the information you find, but sometimes, it is very necessary. If I had just listened to the Dr (who rubbed me the wrong way to begin with) and gotten the CVS, the chances are far too high that I might have lost my baby girl.

I talked to a girl last night who is going through exactly what I went through and she, like a lot of people, was ready to just follow what the Dr said without looking into or educating herself on the test or the risks. I'm not 100% against getting these tests. My point is about being fully aware of what you are getting into, knowing what the possible risks are and making educated decisions.

Sorry this is so long....I'm just VERY passionate about this. lol Rant over!!!

August 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you wrote this a while ago, but I agree. I had and increases AFP on the tri screen back in 02' with my son, and they wanted to bring me in for U/S we went in for the u/s and they couldn't see all of his spine. So the scheduled me for another U/S and an amnio. So I went in and this time the tech go the picture of his spine and I was good with that. But the peri came in and advised amnio and I said no!
My son was born prefect and healthy on May 9, 2003 and hasn't heard the word stop. The tri and quad screen test have really high false positives too. With my last baby I just decided to skip the testing.

September 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
well im against it. I never got this test done,i don't want to know. I felt like if something was wrong with my baby i would deal with it when the time comes. There's no need in stressing yourself out over something that can't be un-done or possibly not even a issue.

Last edited by .:Kati:.; September 7th, 2012 at 01:00 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search