What was your experience with baby's sleep?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Just call me "Hope."
Did you read any helpful books about it?
How did you decide nap times and bed times?
How did you get your LO to fall asleep?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My baby is about 5 months old, and so far I've only gotten him to sleep on my boob, or sometimes in his rocker or car seat. He naps on my lap and I put him in his crib for the night when he is fully asleep. My goal is to get him to nap in his crib too, see if I can put him down for the night when he's sleepy but not asleep, and to make sure he's getting enough sleep. I'm reading a couple of books but not sure yet if they'll be helpful.
March 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
Books did no good with Phoenix. He was a belly sleeper, and the dr.'s had me scared I'd kill him if I allowed him to sleep on his belly. So he slept with me, in his car seat or in his swing, for the first 6 months. UGH!

Now, he's 5, and still doesn't sleep in his room by himself all night. Next baby, will sleep how they want regardless of what a dr. says!!!!!

When he was little nap times depended on when he fell asleep in the beginning. LOL As he got older he had like three naps during the day and then eventually only one.

Phoenix fell asleep easily, it was keeping him asleep that was the problem, and still is! HA.

March 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Just call me "Hope."
Well, this is Day 1 of get-Max-napping-in-the-crib... and, yeah, getting him to STAY asleep is definitely turning into an issue!
March 8th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Dalton was a very high-need baby. Another term is fussy baby. Most people are not familiar with this type of baby, or think the parents are just making it up. Everyone has advice, but unless you've raised a high need baby, you can't imagine. He was the exact example of this: 12 FEATURES OF A HIGH NEED BABY.

I read Happiest Baby on the Block, Night Time Parenting, and the No Cry Sleep Solution. Luckily, I was somewhat prepared for this because my sister was the same way. High need babies grow into really neat children (and now teenagers in my sister case - she's turning 15 this Fall!), but they can be seriously challenging.

He slept 2-4 hours at a time as a newborn, was awake frequently. I didn't sleep much, especially when I was working full time, which was until he was 6 months. From all 3 books, I was already using their "methods" and didn't know it.

At first he took 2 naps - 9am and 2 pm, and then he slowly merged it into 1 nap, and now there are days when he doesn't nap (holy terror with a 2 year old), but he's more comfortable napping at his babysitter's now, thankfully. We start our bedtime routine around 7:30, Daddy calls from work at 8, and we are in the bedroom at 8:30.

For a long time he fell asleep nursing or with me rocking/swinging him. Swaddling was VERY important when he was a newborn, and infant massage helped immensely. If you do have a high need baby, I'm always here to chat because it's a huge undertaking as a parent. Some people call these colicky or fussy babies too, so if anyone has said that about your child, I might be able to help offer you tips.

Seriously - most people who offer you advice on parenting do NOT have experience with high need babies, so if yours is one of those and none of the advice is working, don't worry - there are others out there. Luckily, I've heard from other moms that they typically only have ONE high need baby per family, so I have high hopes this next one will be much calmer

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
*Ava's Mommy*'s Avatar Naomi
No books for me.. With Ava she started sleeping thru the night at about 7 weeks old.. We put her to bed next to us in her PNP that had a attachment that looked like a couch so it was the same height as my bed, we put the vibrator thing on and had it play music for her and she woudl fall asleep. when we transitioned her to her crib we have a lamb that plays like 5 different sounds, we put her in her crib and turnon the rain noise or the beach noise and she is out in about 5 mins

as for naps she doesn't really have a set time for them right now. she sleeps in the am usually around 9 or 10 for an hour or so and then sleeps about 2 hours in the afternoon, and then again around 6 she takes a cap nap and is down for bed anywhere from 8-9pm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search