Men and Women Grieve Differently

Pregnancy Loss & TTCAL Info Spot

Information on pregnancy loss, grief, coping, ttcal & more.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss & TTCAL Info Spot LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Celena's Avatar Proud JM hostess
Send a message via ICQ to Celena Send a message via MSN to Celena Send a message via Yahoo to Celena Send a message via Skype™ to Celena
Men and Women Grieve Differently

There are a number of reasons for this. Variations in your personalities and the way you've been raised, as well as how bonded you were with the baby, are primary factors.

Generally, women are more expressive about their loss, more emotional about it, and more likely to look for support from others. Since society expects men to be strong and unemotional, they most often grieve in more solitary and cognitive ways. Men also tend to be more oriented to fact-gathering and problem-solving and may, therefore, not choose to participate in support networks which are oriented toward talking and feeling. While women may cry and dwell on their memories of the baby, men may express their grief by burying themselves in their work. Keep in mind, though, that because grieving is such an individual experience, the opposite may also be true.

These differences in style may be misinterpreted. If you're a woman and your partner doesn't appear to be as upset as you are, you may believe that he doesn't care about the loss of the baby, and you may feel abandoned by him. If you're a man, on the other hand, you may feel that your wife will never get over her mourning. It's important to remember that how a person acts is not always a true indicator of his or her inner feelings.

There are differences, also, because parents experience different levels of bonding with a baby. The bond between a pregnant woman and the baby growing insider her is unique. Generally, it grows more intense as the pregnancy progresses. For the father, the baby may seem less "real." Although he may begin bonding during pregnancy as he experiences physical signs of the baby, like seeing an ultrasound picture or feeling the baby kicking, a father's real bonding may not develop until after the baby is born. For this reason, men may seem less affected when the loss of the baby occurs early in pregnancy.

These differences may cause conflict in a relationship as you struggle together and separately to come to terms with the loss of your baby. But there are things you can do to help your relationship survive:
  • Be caring about each other and your feelings and needs.
  • Keep an open line of communication and share your thoughts and emotions.
  • Accept your differences and acknowledge each other's pain.
  • Assure one another of your commitment to your relationship.
  • Talk about your baby and find ways to remember him or her.

November 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM
My husband and I have definitely been handling our grief in different ways. He rarely expressed his emotions and threw himself into his work. I cried, looked at pictures, talked to other women on forums...the whole nine yards. In the beginning, I would get angry because I thought it was easier for my husband to put it all behind him. I felt so alone. I even started to feel ashamed when he would catch me grieving. I eventually came to realize that he was trying to be strong for me, and he was worried about me. He was so afraid that I was falling apart, and he felt helpless. We have talked about it several times now, and it is easier for me to accept our different ways of dealing with it. I have also come to realize that no matter how anyone displays their grief (or lack of) for my baby, I won't be happy. I found myself getting upset when family members would avoid the subject and/or pretend like it never happened. I've learned that people just don't know how to act or what to say. I try to be forgiving, but it's still hard sometimes. I try to remind myself that my anger is really over what happened, not how other people are dealing with it.

Last edited by Mandy_777; November 8th, 2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search