I'm home, still pregnant... x-posted

Forum: Done Having Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Done Having Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm so glad to be home!!!! And thanks for all the kind thoughts etc, on my facebook, and sent to me via my sister - it was so lovely to know that everyone was thinking of me!

Long story short - they DON'T KNOW what was going on. Uh huh. They tried telling me it was a 'stomach bug', then tried telling me I had a UTI, even though FOUR different tests done, came back negative, and i had absolutely no symptoms. Contractions stopped yesterday morning, and around 5pm they finally decided that I was able to come home...

Longer story - not so short: woke up 1am Saturday with weird pains, slept on and off until 5.45am, then woke again with worse pains, and couldn't get back to sleep.. around 6.30am I noticed that the pains were also tightening my uterus, and they were somewhat regular. Started timing them & they were 9 minutes apart, lasting for 40-60 seconds. Got out of bed to see if that stopped them, but it didn't. Rang my midwife at 7.30 & she told me to take some paracetamol (tylenol), walk around, have a shower & see what happened - but to ring her back in an hour. Rang my parents after the m/w & put them on alert... Did all that, contractions kept coming, kept timing & they got to 6 minutes apart.. then 5... Rang m/w back & she told me to meet her at the birthing unit at the hospital, to be checked out & monitored.

*quickly ran around & packed my labour bag lol*
*forgot clean underwear & socks*

Got up to the hospital, Dad took Gaby away for a day of fun & games (including lollicake for lunch lol).. me & Mum went up, met the m/w.. She put me on the monitor, cx were then around 7 minutes apart & I thought "great, they're going to stop now that I'm here", but then they started getting closer together again, and more painful. M/w checked cervix - low & soft - but still closed. Left me to it, walked around a bit, had another shower.. she came back & put me on the monitor again, cx were definitely stronger & closer together.... Some point Dad came back up with Gaby & Gaby said "is Emersyn here yet?" LOL.. then she just wanted to play with the soap dispensers & rubber gloves.. Dad took her away.

**** after this my midwife went home & the midwife/s I refer to are the staff midwifes at the hospital***

1.00pm doctor came in, checked cervix again - still no change... looked at the CTG trace, says baby looks good, and I'm 'obviously having some painful tightenings', but because my cervix hasn't dilated at all, it's not labour, and probably a UTI or a tummy bug. They'd reassess in an hour. Did I want pain relief? No thanks.

THEN things really kicked in and I was writhing in pain, and the CTG machine was picking up the contractions nice and strong - they were coming every 4 minutes at that point, and I thought that finally something was happening. Continued that way for about 90 minutes.. around 2.30 the dr came back in with her boss... still no change to cervix, boss man did an u/s everything looked fine with Emersyn... again I'm told "it's just a UTI, or a tummy bug" - and I wanted to punch the guy in the ball sack, because I knew it wasn't.

Asked what my options were & was told if i went into active labour - ie i started dilating, they had no probs doing the c/s, but wouldn't do it otherwise. Told me they could give me some pain relief to see if that helped stop the pains - Id didn't WANT any pain relief - i knew that if I had to have the c/s, I'd be having more than enough drugs THEN to make Emersyn sleepy, so didn't want anything un necessary, the two doctors & midwife kept at me and pretty much bullied me into having a shot of pethedine. They told me that after i had the shot I'd "go to sleep for a bit & wake up either in proper labour, or with it stopped"

HA. no sleep. Contractions got CLOSER and a lot more painful - to the point that I was almost crying, and wouldn't let go of my Mums hand. The cx were lasting for 1min30sec, and coming every 3mins, so I had like 1min30sec where I didn't have a cx. Midwife came in at some point & was shocked the peth hadn't worked, and that the cx were getting closer together... and more painful. The only thing the peth did was make me feel stoned, and crack funnies.. quite the entertainer I was, when I wasn't in utter pain! lol.

Doctor came back at some point.. checked cervix. no change. "results from the 2nd uti test came back & it is negative" (no joke sherlock), "did the pethedine help" - NO YOU STUPID HAG. "would you like more pain killers" "NO I REFUSE TO HAVE MORE". Put my foot down at that I did.

Can't really remember what happened next, but the cx eventually died down, didn't see doctor again, but the midwife came in around 7pm to tell me i'd be going up to the maternity ward for the night... got up there around 8.30pm, cx still dying down, thought maybe it was over... but they kept coming with some regularity, and were still painful... Went to sleep, woke up on and off with the same pains..

Woke up for good at 6.30am on Sunday, pains still regular.. and started getting more regular.. had breakfast at 7.30am.. Midwife came in at 9am & I was put on the monitor... while I was on the monitor, the cx started slowing down & became less painful.. and not long after the monitoring, they were basically just down to 'non painful braxton hicks'... every now and then I had a painful one, but def weren't as painful as the day before.. and I think after about 1pm, I didn't have any....

Didn't see doctor at all, midwife checked on me every now and then, and I was told
- you can go home
- no, you aren't going home, you're staying in again
- you can go home
- oh, no you are staying
- IT'S CONFIRMED, YOU CAN GO HOME....
talk about no communication, it was like each staff m/w i saw, had their own opinion, or that half were reading one set of notes, and half were reading another!

7pm my parents arrived to pick me up & I went home....

Been home about 13 hours now & haven't had anymore pains, so am thinking it's over.... I asked a midwife before I came home "so what was this" & she told me it was 'pre labour' or 'false labour', that there is no way what I was having, was because of 'uterine irritation'. She was the ONLY person who made me feel like they didn't think it was all in my head. You just had to look at the **** CTG traces though, too see that the contractions WERE very much real.

So I guess now I just wait & see what happens - whether Emersyn decides to wait the 9 days until my scheduled c/s, or decides to come a little early!

Oh yea - I did possibly break my toe though!!!!!!!! I kicked it on the **** meal table thing, when walking my parents out, then went to the toilet & checked & had kicked the whole nail off, and it was really swollen.. lol. Hurts like a mo fo.

June 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Well that doesnt sound fun at all. I dislike it when drs cant agree on anything and just seem to be guessing as to a situation.

ICK on the toe, Ive broken mine before...no fun.

Rest, rest, rest!!!

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
June 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I know, you look to doctors for answers... and it's not like I was presenting with some rare medical condition!!!!

oh well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search