hubby is getting the big "V"

Forum: Done Having Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Done Having Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM
tinymomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tinymomma
I went in to see my family doc yesterday for my yearly exam and when she found out that I had the mirena in she gave me a little talk. She said she would never recommend this type of bc to her patients (she did say it is a great form of bc though) but it messes with a womans body and hormones. I've been more moody, I have bad headaches everyday, I've GAINED 4 pounds (grrrr!), and my face is breaking out more. I'm having it removed on the 28th when I have my endobiopsy (at my OBGYN'S office). she couldn't take it out b/c she refused to be trained on the IUD's b/c she doesn't like them. And since hubby was laid off last Friday and our insurance is only good until the end of the month she got him in for today at 4:30 for his vasectomy. She also rescheduled so that my kids could have thier well childs before our insurance runs out. Hubby is out looking for jobs but most insurances don't start for 90 days. Anyway has anyone's hubby had the big "V" here?? He's a little nervous since they have to mess with his special "area" I was like whatever!! lol my doc said it's the least he can do after all it hurts less then 1 hour of our labor!!!!

wife to Chad
SAHM to Megan 10, Elijah 8, Andrew 6, and Joshua 3.
March 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
skyler's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to skyler
Oh, your children are soooooooooooo adorable. I had a tubal done after Wynston was born and dh would not get a "V". Hope everything goes well and I like your doctor .
March 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Barnes-baby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Barnes-baby Send a message via Yahoo to Barnes-baby
Dh is supposed to go for the V but our schedules have been so crazy that we havent had it done yet. There is a new scalpel (sp) free procedure now. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
March 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine did. The anistisha was the worse part. Now he's an avicator for it. He teels everyone when they ask if we're having move kids. I had to MAKE him lay down for the two days (I couldn't hold him down the third day) He was So fine when he got home he wanted to DTD.

March 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
bexmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bexmommy Send a message via MSN to bexmommy Send a message via Skype™ to bexmommy
My hubby wouldn't get the big V, i had to get my tubes done, i hope it all went well
March 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He should be nervous. I would never ask my husband to do that to himself, too many risks involved.
http://www.dontfixit.org

The sad part is women will talk about their "issues" with eachother - but most men don't. There is quite a cloud of silence about what can happen.
March 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you get a tubel? Natral family planning isn't for everyone and we chose between the two purmenet options. The site you gave IS biased toards NFP.

March 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Would you get a tubel? Natral family planning isn't for everyone and we chose between the two purmenet options. The site you gave IS biased toards NFP.[/b]

Certainly, not everyone will prefer NFP. But from a perspective of health and wellness, the risks need to be discussed so we can all make informed decisions. I would not get a tubal no. Just as many risks involved, though I would consider them slightly more serious because often the solution is to get a hysterectomy.

The reality is that many couples don't even realize NFP is a reliable option - until after they've learned the hard way. Ask me how I know. My Dad's vasectomy was something that impacted my parents more than they ever expected, in ways they didn't know it could. My FIL too. Any time someone makes a joke about getting "fixed," he walks out of the room in tears. I have no idea what must have happened, but it sure strikes a raw chord with him. All he has ever said about it is that it's his biggest regret in life. I teach the Billings Ovulation Method and have counselled several couples who have come to learn NFP after their reversals, in the hopes of alleviating the devastating side effects they have experienced. I've had both, vasectomy reversal clients and tubal reversal clients. They all express the same thing, "If only someone had told us..." So, I wont' shy away from sharing the risks, even if it makes people uncomfortable. If it prevents one couple from disaster, it's worth it. Nobody likes to hear that the easy solution might come with a heavier price tag than they anticipated.

If surgical sterilization gets to be on the table of possibilities, I think it's only fair that a safer option is on the table too. After that, it's up to each individual couple to make their own very personal choices about their family. I'm just putting NFP on the table.
March 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
PM me if you want to descuse this more this isn't the debate board so I wont debate.

March 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Would you get a tubel? Natral family planning isn't for everyone and we chose between the two purmenet options. The site you gave IS biased toards NFP.[/b]

Certainly, not everyone will prefer NFP. But from a perspective of health and wellness, the risks need to be discussed so we can all make informed decisions. I would not get a tubal no. Just as many risks involved, though I would consider them slightly more serious because often the solution is to get a hysterectomy.

The reality is that many couples don't even realize NFP is a reliable option - until after they've learned the hard way. Ask me how I know. My Dad's vasectomy was something that impacted my parents more than they ever expected, in ways they didn't know it could. My FIL too. Any time someone makes a joke about getting "fixed," he walks out of the room in tears. I have no idea what must have happened, but it sure strikes a raw chord with him. All he has ever said about it is that it's his biggest regret in life. I teach the Billings Ovulation Method and have counselled several couples who have come to learn NFP after their reversals, in the hopes of alleviating the devastating side effects they have experienced. I've had both, vasectomy reversal clients and tubal reversal clients. They all express the same thing, "If only someone had told us..." So, I wont' shy away from sharing the risks, even if it makes people uncomfortable. If it prevents one couple from disaster, it's worth it. Nobody likes to hear that the easy solution might come with a heavier price tag than they anticipated.

If surgical sterilization gets to be on the table of possibilities, I think it's only fair that a safer option is on the table too. After that, it's up to each individual couple to make their own very personal choices about their family. I'm just putting NFP on the table.
[/b]
I agree with Miguel--this is not a debate board. HOwever, that link you put in is a non scientifci biased opinion by a laymen . The legitamite studies done on vasectomies show a completely different outcome.Take it to the debate board and do not make a poster feel guilty for asking her spouse to consider a vasectomy
March 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Regarding the original question....

My husband had a vasectomy 2 years ago and had absolutely no problems. I watched the entire thing, it was done in less than 30 minutes, he listened to the doc's 24 hour advice (ice, sitting, no strenuous activity, etc), and also wore the supportive underwear for a week, and no running for a week. He was putting new rims on his car (including tires) the following day and back at work Monday morning (had the procedure done Friday afternoon). He was in the military in aviation and walked 5+ miles a day back and forth on the flight line and did just fine. His pain was taken care of with regular motrin for the first 24 hours, after that he didn't need it anymore. He hasn't had any after effects over the past 2 years and has been no different, sex life is no different, etc. Hang in there, I think you guys will be just fine and best of luck!!
March 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I would like to see a better website as well, it was only meant to be a jumping off point for further research, which everyone needs to do on their own. It's just that the risks are understated. Most guys won't experience any problems, but for those who do it's a very traumatic experience. Like I mentioned, I've met too many of those guys in my area of work IRL not to say anything about the reality of what *can* happen - but if that perspective is not welcome here, I can respect that and will say nothing further about it in this forum.
March 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would like to see a better website as well, it was only meant to be a jumping off point for further research, which everyone needs to do on their own. It's just that the risks are understated. Most guys won't experience any problems, but for those who do it's a very traumatic experience. Like I mentioned, I've met too many of those guys in my area of work IRL not to say anything about the reality of what *can* happen - but if that perspective is not welcome here, I can respect that and will say nothing further about it in this forum.[/b]
Honestly though, things *can* happen with ANY medical procedure..or normal daily life activities for that matter. You *can* have complications with a c-section or labor, so should we never have kids? You *can* have complications with any surgery, so should people stop doing that? You *can* get into an accident if you drive, so should we walk everywhere? I mean when the benefits outweigh the risk in MOST cases most people are wiling to take the risk. For us, the benefits of not fearing having more children whom we do not want, outweighed the EXTREMELY SMALL risk of complications with a vasectomy. Yes doctors tell you about them, shoot, we were BOTH counseled on them and we BOTH had to sign the consent form, but as I said the benefit of not worrying about producing children that we do not want far outweighed the extremely small risk of possible complications.
March 25th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Except that the risk is not EXTREMELY small - it's significantly higher than that, but understated. Choosing not to sterilize isn't synonymous with producing children against your intentions. But like I said, I will say nothing further here. Success stories only.
March 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
tinymomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tinymomma
My husband did get the Vasectomy and is feeling better (and he was the one who wanted the Vas.) ...he's had some tenderness in one of his testicles but nothing that can't be controlled w/ ibuprofin. We've dtd 3 times since he had it done.... I can't wait to have *normal* sex again lol......I get my IUD out on Wednesday and I can't WAIT!! That was the worst decision I ever made, thank goodness my doctor told me the "real" story on IUD's. Anyway thanks for all the info everyone.....to Shawna I did ask hubby about NFP but he wanted a Vas so that we wouldn't have to ever worry about getting pregnant again

wife to Chad
SAHM to Megan 10, Elijah 8, Andrew 6, and Joshua 3.
March 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Glad it went well!
March 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my 20 month old is an after aVasectomy baby....be sure he gets the all clear on his counts and has them rechecked yearly.....My son was 7 yrs later!!!!!The urologist said it is MORE common than thought.The real odds are the same as bc pills 98%
March 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Quote:
my 20 month old is an after aVasectomy baby....be sure he gets the all clear on his counts and has them rechecked yearly.....My son was 7 yrs later!!!!!The urologist said it is MORE common than thought.The real odds are the same as bc pills 98%[/b]
That must have been quite a surprise (and a cute one too I bet!)
March 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
my 20 month old is an after aVasectomy baby....be sure he gets the all clear on his counts and has them rechecked yearly.....My son was 7 yrs later!!!!!The urologist said it is MORE common than thought.The real odds are the same as bc pills 98%[/b]
I actually stayed on pill form of bc because of this. I would probably end up getting an abortion if we ever got pregnant again, but I don't want to be faced with that decision, so he gets yearly checks and I stay on bc pills since they don't have any adverse affects on me and they're only $4 a month.

And to Shawna....if you look at the real MEDICAL facts, yes the risks are VERY VERY low in vasectomies, and I do not believe in NFP (not that it changed the opinion I already had but some friends of ours did this and their 3 kids will tell you that it didn't work for them), so I tend to go on the side of real medical facts and real medical research (no offense intended). Nothing is 100%, but vasectomies are 99.9% effective, same as birth control which is also 99.% effective, however there isn't any room for human error in vasectomies (ie forgetting to take a pill or not taking it at the same time everyday). Not saying it is for everyone by any means, but IMO you are blowing it WAY out of porportion....and as someone else said, this isn't a debate board so that is the last I am saying on the topic.
March 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Quote:
And to Shawna....if you look at the real MEDICAL facts, yes the risks are VERY VERY low in vasectomies, and I do not believe in NFP (not that it changed the opinion I already had but some friends of ours did this and their 3 kids will tell you that it didn't work for them), so I tend to go on the side of real medical facts and real medical research (no offense intended). Nothing is 100%, but vasectomies are 99.9% effective, same as birth control which is also 99.% effective, however there isn't any room for human error in vasectomies (ie forgetting to take a pill or not taking it at the same time everyday). Not saying it is for everyone by any means, but IMO you are blowing it WAY out of porportion....and as someone else said, this isn't a debate board so that is the last I am saying on the topic.[/b]
Yes, medical facts and documented effectiveness trials are very important. I have no comment about your friends, because I know nothing about which form of NFP they were using, what the quality of their training was like, or if they followed all the guidelines for avoiding pregnancy. Perhaps they were using NFP to TTC, and all 3 were planned. Perhaps they were using a primitive form of NFP that is known to be unreliable (like the Rhythm or Calender Method). Perhaps they never had proper training from an accredited instructor. Perhaps they willingly deviated from the guidelines for avoiding pregnancy, which is the same as neglecting to take the Pill - a user-related failure, and not a method-related failure. Their experience, when we know nothing about the situation, hardly undermines the research behind modern methods of NFP.

As for real medical facts, here they are:

Clinical trials of the Billings Ovulation Method and associated research:
99.6% effective
http://www.woomb.org/omrrca/bulletin/vol27...Evaluation.html
http://www.woomb.org/bom/science/index.html

Medical trials of the Creighton Model: 96.8% effective
http://www.creightonmodel.com/effectiveness.htm

Trials of the Sympto Thermal Method in Germany: 4 unitended pregnancies in 3007 cycles
http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps823.html

BBC Finds NFP as Effective as the Pill (Press release regarding the Dusseldorf study above)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6375261.stm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search