Vas or Tube Tied?

Forum: Done Having Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Done Having Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
BritSidMom
Okay, I am trying to decide which to do. I would really like to just get my tubes tied, and I know my dh isn't all for a vas. Infact, when we were trying we were two weeks away from him needing to get tested, and he didn't even wanna do that!!! lol. He's a baby about that stuff!! hehehe. So, I am guessing the Tubal Ligation, will be our option, but what do you ladies think?
November 2nd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Julie's Avatar Veteran
I'd like to know myself

I understand (I guess) that it's a pretty simple procedure when you're having a c-section, but how much is involved to have them tied after a vaginal birth...or just outta the blue?

November 2nd, 2004, 08:20 AM
ConnectingRainbows's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH wouldn't even think about getting his "snipped". He was horrified of the idea.... the big baby! So, since I knew I didn't want to be pregnant again, I would go ahead and have my tubes tied. We also took into consideration that (God forbid) anything ever happened to either one of us and the other remarried, he might like opportunity to have another child, but I wouldn't want to.

I kept hearing over and over that he should have a vaz because it's an easier procedure and that I've already done my part. Well... know what.... it wasn't any big deal at all! I have a small scar at my belly button that itched for a little while. Other than that, I had no problems at all.

Hope that helps!

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
You don’t have to! JourneyToJoy.com
November 3rd, 2004, 07:20 PM
MinnesotaMommy
Dh won't even consider it, so I had to step up to the plate and do it. It was not bad, but wish dh would have done it, so I didn't have to take time off work. Just glad its done now.
November 5th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A vasectomy is physically easier on a man. When a woman gets her tubes tied it can lead to early menopause, changes in periods and hormonal changes.

A woman can have her tubes tied, cut or clamped. Clamped it the best one if you think you may change your mind later. Cut is the most effective. All 3 can reverse themselves. Clamping and Tying are the easist to reverse.

If you are having a c-section and you get it done then there is a higher risk of it reversing itself. If you are not having a c-section they prefer if you wait until you are at least 4months postpartum so the uterus can get back to normal size and heal better. They also have to blow your stomach up so the recovery is a bit more.

Vasectomies can reverse themselves too. When a man has it done it is 2 small incisions and it takes 10-15minutes. If he's having a no scalpal vas it is even easier(risk of reversal is higher).
November 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Deana_Momto4's Avatar Member
I would highly recommend that if at all possible your dh has a vasectomy.I wish that I would have had my dh have one instead of me having a tubal.The OB said oh we already have you opened up with the c-section so it will be easier,well maybe it was then but it certainly isnt easier now. I had a tubal done during the c-section with my last baby,Chasity~8-01 That was over 3 years ago and it has in my opinion caused me a LOT of problems,the main one being very heavy bleeding and major bad cramps.I havent had menstrual cramps since I was around 13-14 and I first started my period and after that and after having my first,second and third babies I still didnt have cramps. I certainly do now though and the bleeding is very,very heavy also. I also have a LOT of symptoms of early menopause and hormonal changes.I was put on Prozac 8 mos. after Chasity and I have stayed on it since then except for a few months of trying to see how it would be off of it and I quickly went back on it,because I felt like I was honest to goodness losing it.

I am now off of Prozac and am on Lexapro,my medical dr. prescribed it a month ago and she weaned me off of Prozac. I was prescribed the Prozac by my gyn.

I feel that I have to have something or I will lose it completely,the depressed feeling,the agitation and just feeling like I am going to go nutso has to be controlled,so I am on meds. I get nervous thinking that one day in the near future my dr. will take me off of the meds. and I worry about how I will be.

Well I know this was way more than what you wanted to know, LOL. Of course this was just my experience with a Tubal so I know everyone is totally different,although I have spoken with at least 6 other women and they too have the same experiences as I have.One lady that I know was so messed up by heavier periods,hormonal changes and irregular and messed up periods that her gyn. did a hysterctomy on her. She too was having majorly bad nerve problems and too was on Prozac which helped for awhile and then wasnt helping her at all.

Deana~Mom to 4 Great Kids
Camilla~13
Caressa~10
Noah~8
Chasity~3
January 8th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Veteran
wow, these posts sure helped me. even though some women do fine, my luck i would be one that would have the screwed up periods and depression, which i already have so no need to take the chance it could get worse.

DH will just love it! Vastectomy here he comes! He will do it though, we have already discussed it before and if it comes down to it he will do it.....he will be scared like a man should be, but he'll go through with it...lol.

As soon as they hand us our healthy baby the appointment will be made! 4 is definately enough!

I will be hangin around here more often after June 2005, so i look foward to getting to know you all! I guess right now i am not DONE until this little moves out. just looking around the place!

jennifer

Kolby William 5/15/05 8 lbs and 8 ozs. 21 1/2 inches

From left to right....Julia, Kendrick and Kassie!
January 8th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Veteran
I had my tubal a few hours after my son was born. It was a quick procedure done laproscopically through the belly button. The doctor clamped my tubes.
January 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my husband is going in next month. I gave birth to 4 four children, so he can do this. He's not excited about it, (which I can see of course) but he'll go, it's just something that needs to be done.
January 10th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are planning on this being our last baby, and dh and I have agreed that he will get a vasectomy. He's not thrilled about the idea either, but I've heard about all the problems that can occur after a tubal (heavy periods, etc.) and I feel like I've done enough. KWIM?

My dh agrees. His mom had a tubal after my dh's younger brother was born and has had really bad periods ever since (like cramps so bad she would have to stay home from work, and very heavy bleeding).

I just hope when the time comes, my dh doesn't chicken out!
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

January 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Vas all the way! Birth Control is a 2-way street! When I told my husband that we were pregnant with our 3rd (surprise!) he was happy, etc., but then said, "this is it, no more kids!" I told him that he needed to do something about it then. I have had 3 pregnancies and will have had 3 deliveries. Not to mention all the darn hormones I have been taking for the last decade to avoid (unsuccesfully) pregnancy.

He asked me the other day why he had to do this...I reminded him just how fertile I am, and if he wanted to avoid having another little treasure just as our youngest is graduating high school, then this needed to be done. He sees the light!
January 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Regular
I am not really sure which is better but i got a tubal too. My husband wasnt willing to get a vasectomy.My doctor did all three:clamped,cut,and burned.There is no way mine can come undone...LOL.Besides i already have my two children...a boy and a girl just what i wanted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search