Thin PCOSer TTC#2 - PREGNANT!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To PCOS Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello! My name is MJ and I am mom to a two year old boy conceived with fertility drugs + IUI.

I believe I have had pcos since puberty, and I have what is termed lean pcos. I weighed hardly anything in high school and had erratic periods. I have some hirsutism. My other symptoms include high LH, high androgens, thyroid problems, classic cystic ovaries on ultrasound, fibroids, high cholesterol and I had pre-eclampsia with my son's birth.

This is my journal to chronicle the copious amounts of supplements I am taking, my fitness and nutrition regime, and my progress combating pcos naturally. I would also like to conceive without med assistance this time, but considering we also have MFI going on that is not likely whatsoever. But a girl can hope The plan is to TTC naturally for a few months, and then go back to use the same drugs and IUI we succeeded with before in a few months after getting myself as ready as possible. We will do 1-2 IUIs followed by IVF this fall/winter if the IUIs are unsuccessful. My PCOS has become worse since having a child, and my DHs issues are very unpredictable. So that's the plan! I also plan to use this journal to complain, moan, and vent about how much I HATE PCOS, and what a pita it is making my life! lol

I hope my journal helps other women with pcos, especially lean cysters, and that you can see how the various herbs and supplements react in me. I am pretty diligent about taking everything and keeping with my fitness routine, so this should be a fun experiment! And hopefully I can see some non-PCOSy ovaries on the cooter cam sometime soon

If you have any questions please ask! The supplement values are starting values for now, as many of them I just started taking this past weekend. They may go up, or I may eliminate some. My hope is to slowly eliminate many of them within 3-6 months if possible. We shall see.

**problems to address: estrogen dominance & insulin resistance** disclaimer: I am not a doctor, so don't take what I do as medical advice

Lost 14% of body weight since January 2011
How I did it: No carbs AT ALL, 30-40 minutes of cardio a day, everyday, No sugar (or hardly any ), about 100 crunches a day.

****UPDATED REGIMEN IN POST 15****

{ Fitness }
~ 40 minutes intense cardio/day (20 min high resistance elliptical, 20 min running or swimming).
~ 200 crunches/day.

~ 20 minutes weight training/day (especially the arms).

**30 minutes yoga daily
***Acupuncture -- 1st appt this week!!

{ Food }
~ Organic meat, no preservative diet, mostly organic fruits and veggies.

~ High Fiber. High Protein.

~ 5 cups fruits and veggies a day.
~ Limited dairy and gluten. May go gluten free.

~ Low Glycemic Foods. No refined anything.
~ No caffeine (can increase estrogen).
~ 1-2TB Flax/day (reduce testosterone and some estrogens. fiber).
~ a 1/2 cup almonds/day (help reverse insulin resistance).

{ Teas }

~ Warm Lemon Water (PM tea. Detox the liver)
~ Lemon Balm (AM tea. Calming, reduce heart palpitations and anxiety)
~ Red Raspberry Leaf (Noon tea. Balances hormones, alkanizes cervical fluid, & tones the uterus) **CD1 until O ONLY

{ Supplements }

To address insulin resistance (IR) -

~ Zinc (also thyroid health)

~ Cinnamon Bark
~ Chromium GTF (*deficiency can cause IR)
~ Magnesium citrate (*deficiency can cause IR. also manages estrogen)
~ Calcium citrate + Vitamin D3 (also follicular development, egg maturation)
~ Fish Oil (also anti-inflammatory)
~ Green Tea Extract
~ D-Chiro-Inositol (get from food sources): 1.5 cups oatmeal (or) .5 c chickpeas (or) 1 cup lentils per day

To address estrogen dominance -
~ DIM (found in cruciferous veggies. also good for endo) **taken cd 5-9 ONLY (at the moment, anyways)
~ B Vitamin complex (thyroid health, manages estrogen)
~ Grape Seed Extract (an aromatase inhibitor, like femara which I used to conceive Jack. A drug that lowers levels of estrogen in the body, similar to clomid) 
**taken cd 5-9 ONLY.

To help the liver clear excess hormones and repair damage -
~ Milk Thistle
~ Calcium D-glucarate (cleans body of bad estrogens and other toxins in the liver, breast care)

Other - 

~ RAW for women (raw foods multivitamin)
~ Curcumin with piperine (from turmeric. helps digest fat, liver health, anti-inflammatory)
~ Vitamin K2 as MK-7 (puts the calcium in your bones, instead of in your arteries. super important!)

Last edited by *MJ*; October 8th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
July 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can I tell you what drives me so BANANAS!!? Lean pcos. Last cycle I got too low in weight and I think my body just stopped working. But with exercise and avoiding lots of carbs that spike my blood sugar and make me feel like crap, I just drop weight. I have this teeny tiny window of weight and lifestyle choices that are good for me, and it is really hard to hit that mark.

I am going to be doing more weight training and adding more good carbs like bran and brown rice pasta into my diet.

And PS - I am only 5 feet tall and have a very small bone structure, so it isn't so bad. But the chart say 97lbs should be the low end for my body type. Ugh I am so annoyed.

Last edited by *MJ*; October 8th, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
July 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been running at a steady 5mph on the treadmill with sprints of 6mph worked in. My goal is to be able to maintain 6mph for 20 minutes straight. I think I will get there in about 2-3 weeks

I started taking calcium-d-glucarate and green tea supplements. Hoping the green tea helps produce some fertile cm and the calcium-d-glucarate is supposed to help the liver break down the bad forms of estrogen and flush them from the body. Sounds good to me!!

My energy has been lower, but I think it was because I haven't been getting enough sleep. Or if you believe the theory that a total body yeast infection causes pcos, perhaps it is a sign of the candida dying off. They say fatigue and flu-like symptoms are symptoms of that. Really that theory does make sense. Perhaps I will add some coconut oil - which is supposed to help detox your body of candida - to my diet.

Overall I am feeling pretty good, and I am at a decent weight. I will start showing mid-section pics just because I have a goal to get my waist as fit as possible. For me, this seems to be a strong indicator of my pcos. If I can keep it really trim, my pcos seems to also be in control.

Almost forgot - I also brown rice pasta in limited moderation to my diet. I need more fuel for all this running and weight lifting I am doing, and so the whole family made the brown rice pasta switch.

July 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I may have ovulated on CD11. I can't even describe how AMAZING that would be for me, who has never ovulated any earlier then CD18 on my own. But I had painful nipples yesterday followed by more breast tenderness today. I can only hope!!! I really don't want another messed up cycle like last cycle. And when I looked back at old charts going as far back as 2007, I found many with patches of ewcm around cd 8-12. Holy poop, what if this is when I should have been be ovulating all along?

I hope hope hope all these supplements and dietary changes are working. Only time and more temps will tell.
July 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I got crosshairs! Hope they stay
July 22nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my first acupuncture appt! It was soooo cool! There were a few cool little extra things I hadn't heard about from others. Like the infrared enzyme light she used over my womb to nourish it and increase blood flow, and the little pieces of gold specks she adhered on my ears afterwards. When she put the 2 on my right ear (a side which she said was more sensitive or blocked or something), I had this freaky internal shiver all the way across my entire right side. It was so freaky! Then my entire side felt like, unblocked or something. It was very cool and freaky. I am thinking this stuff works! We are setting up my treatment protocol and I even bought this herb from her that I had heard about being excellent for PCOS, but has to be special ordered. She told me one of my areas to be addressed are my kidneys. They need boosting and my blood needs nourishing. So I got a list of foods and exercises to do just that which I am really happy about! I do need more energy.

And she was totally impressed with my fitness/diet/vitamin regimen I have been doing. She said I inspired her! She also thinks I am still young enough to turn around these health issues of mine, and that's what I am trying to do. Anyways, it was really relaxing and awesome and I think everyone should try it! I go back next Friday
July 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Having the worst gas ever, and I need to go put in 40 minutes at my gym. ugh.

On the bright side, I seared myself some wild salmon tonight and it was delicious.
July 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally skipped my workout on Friday at my last entry. But I had a KILLER 40 minute cardio workout on Saturday and Sunday. I am feeling really fatigued though. And now my boobs have hurt for an entire week. I shouldn't complain, and I am not really if it means I ovulated! Sleep has been very hard to come by though so my temps are a bit funky.

I have to confess I haven't been as diligent with the tea, but I am with the other supplements!
July 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Had the worst workout ever today. Just no energy at all. Feeling more energized tonight so I think I will pop in a pilates dvd when the kiddo is asleep. Very bloated too. Ugh. And can I say, I am SICK of the sore nips & boobs. Over a week of this! Glad I seemed to have ovulated, but done with the boob pain and giant bloat belly

Last edited by *MJ*; July 26th, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
July 30th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, turns out I most likely O'ed at CD19. Better then nothing I suppose! Hopefully next cycle I will O earlier because I was really pumped at that possibility. I always feel that Oing os early when I conceived my son is what did the trick.
August 1st, 2011, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My O date got moved AGAIN!
DAM* YOU POCS!!! (shakes fist in air)

So I got a bunch of ovulation and a few pregnancy tests coming on rush from Amazon tomorrow morning. Gotta love amazon prime!
August 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This feels like the longest cycle ever (not really, far from it). I'm over it!
August 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got a faint line on a FRER today after holding pee for 3-4 hours. Very faint but showed up right away and no mistaking it for an evap since I see some pink and it showed up immediately. Now only time will tell if it is another chemical. I'm thinking it isn't, but then what are the chances I actually get pregnant and stay pregnant on my own?
Surprisingly, I am feeling very calm and collected about the whole thing. Hmm. I feel like shopping
August 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Annd another cycle and another early pregnancy bites the dust.
BFN today.
I think FF is wrong and I O'ed 2 days ago. I hope so. That means AF will show up tomorrow.
August 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a new regimen!

While I wait for this cycle to end already, I have tweaked things a bit. I also may be doing clomid or femara + IUI this cycle, so some supplements may stop taking this cycle if I get the go ahead to do fertility meds.

One of the reasons I am tweaking is that all of my previous regimen worked a little too well. I believe my BMI got too low, and I flat out stopped egg maturation. Around 12 dpo I realized this, curbed workouts and started eating more carbs and then I did O a little over a week later, which was late for me relatively speaking. This has happened once before too.

**edited 8/16

Meds: Levothyroxine, may be starting a low dose of Metformin soon

How detecting O: OPKs twice a day starting at CD 10, and temping vaginally.

Exercise: (~ 1hr/day)
Running for 30 minutes, 4 days a week.
Swimming for 20 minutes, 1-2 days a week.
One aerobic class a week, 1 hour.
Upper body weight training, daily
General weight training for 20 minutes, 4 days a week.
Make sure get 10,000 steps in a day outside of other exercise.
100-200 crunches a day (love core strength).

Stress Relief: (1 hour/day)
Yoga, 30 minutes a day.
Stretching, 15 minutes a day.
Meditation, 15 minutes a day.
Acupuncture, 1 hour a week.
Lemon Balm Tea, daily.

Supplements:
Warm Lemon Water (PM tea. Detox the liver)
RAW prenatal vitamin
Cinnamon Bark
Chromium GTF
Magnesium citrate
Calcium citrate
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
Fish Oil
***really considering Black Cohosh, Sea Minerals and Iodide for thyroid function, and Tang Kuei & Peony Blend as well.

Diet:
Organic, no preservative diet.
High Fiber.
Limited dairy.
No caffeine.
Some dried seaweed everyday.
1.5 cups oatmeal (or) .5 c chickpeas (or) 1 cup lentils per day --- to get D-Chiro-Inositol
AM Protein Shake
Daily Green Smoothie
Protein Shake after Exercise/Weight lifting

August 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Called my RE, bloodwork tomorrow, if it comes back showing good things I start Femara on Thursday and then an IUI this cycle! I just can't stay away from the RE, I want to get this show on the road!

I'll update Thursday. Also, had a great run today.
August 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Got my blood work. My update and feelings on that is laced with too much profanity to put on JM. I am not sure where we are going from here. I am not happy.
August 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Updated my regimen. Labs came back hypothyroid again, when my TSH was normal in April. Then I found an article that said that not consuming enough calories while frequently exercising at a moderate level or higher can lead to adrenal and thyroid stress and cause hypothyroidism. I am thinking this has something to do with my chemicals I had! So since I am a gym rat now, I need to up my calories WAY up!

So I started a morning protein shake, a bit more GOOD carbs, and more meals. When you are low carbing it you have to eat a lot more of the good foods. Like, a lot more. And another protein shake after intense exercise or weight training as well. I will be making my own energy bars as well! Fuuun stuff!
August 29th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Haven't updated in a while.

I got sick AGAIN this year. A sinus infection. So now I am behind on my supplements and exercise, and I have a yeast infection from the antibiotics to boot. Joy.

I possibly ovulated a few days ago. temps seem kind of low to me.

I also ate a ton of rice and beans while sick, so if I did O maybe it was all the extra fiber? Or thyroid meds I started. Or acupuncture.

Gah, this is all so confusing. Just give me the fertility meds and lets get this show on the road!!
September 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is tedious to try and maintain a journal!

So I went to the gym again for the first time after getting sick. I also ate some cookies, ok a lot of cookies, after getting too low in body weight. Then I had what I think was a very strong ovulation 2 days ago. EWCM like you wouldn't believe!! Cramps on both sides. It was ... exciting. I haven't seen ewcm in a looong time. And then I was able to get a quickie in so I guess we have a chance. Who really knows though, I shouldn't hope.

I am worried our first medicated cycle won't work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search