EB's PCOS Journey while TTC #1

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To PCOS Journals LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 11:19 AM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
Background and how I came to know PCOS

I am 26 and new to knowing I have PCOS. When I look back on my teenage years though it is clear that PCOS has known me. I didn't have my first AF until 14.5 and then it was always very heavy and sporadic. I had been having some serious weight issues and it wasn't until working with a dietician and losing 50 lbs that I met AF. We never connected the two together. At 17 during my first month of college I had a month long flow which led to an OB putting me on BC. My family care doctor said something didn't feel right to him and sent me to an OB who said my family care doctor wasn't experienced enough with female exams to know what he was talking about. He told me I was fine and all I needed was BC. Now I realize how right my family care doctor had been. He kept saying how my weight, acne, and cycle just weren't right, but since BC took care of most of the issues we never really addressed it again. In 2008 I was off BC for a couple months because of insurance issues and ended up in the ER because of a burst ovarian cyst. The pain was horrendous and when morphine didn't help they had to give me something stronger. The doctor insisted it was probably a one time freak event. It never sat well with me but every OB appointment since then I brought it up and they said the same thing because everything was checking out fine.

On a side note from the medical, in 2011 we met our DS (although we didn't know he would become that at the time) and In March 2012 he officially became our son. He's 15 now and we are finishing up the court process to be his permanent parents. He has been a ridiculous blessing and a wonderful kid, but it has also made me realize how much I love being a mom.

This year my husband and I will have been married 5 years and it had been our plan to start having babies of our own then. I was in a car accident in January and at the end of the month I decided to purge myself of all medication I had been on from the accident and decided to include BC in the list. I wanted my body to be mine. Hah.

The days kept ticking by and I knew something was wrong. AF stayed away. In late March we decided it was time for me to see a doctor. I was mad at first because when I called to schedule the appointment the scheduler didn't get why I had a problem waiting until the end of May to get in. I knew something was wrong with my body. Finally they got me in for early April.

Pee'd in a cup, nurse comes in "Congratulations!". I was in shock, happy shock. "Oh wait, but let me double check it was still developing." Yeah, that was the start of my first kick in the butt.

The OB was wonderful and was the first to really listen to me and my concerns. She took the time to ask me about my acne and commented on the weight gain in medical chart. She told me not to be worried, but PCOS was a possibility and was going to run bloodwork and an ultra sound. She then put me on progesterone.

Bloodwork levels showed FSH (6.8) and TSH in normal levels, but when I did the ultrasound I felt like something was wrong by how many pictures she was taking and noticed a couple areas highlighted red. I had a week wait before the new OB that the OB I saw switched me to (I know, too many OB) called and said that it was confirmed that I had PCOS based upon the ultrasound. There was my next kick in the butt.

First order of business is to lose weight. Problem is I am still recovering from my car accident in January so I can only do so much physically. Starting with calorie counting and light/moderate exercise.

Follow up exam is July 3. I am requesting a full blood panel going in so that we discuss other health concerns. Diabetes runs in my grandfather's generation and while I have never tested diabetic, I do have issues where I feel sick when I haven't eaten on schedule or crave carbs.

It's time for me to educate myself if I want to get in control of my body.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
April 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
No AF today and only spotting yesterday. Seriously relieved right now. My last "natural" cycle when I was 17 last from 2 months of light flow. While this cycle was induced by progesterone I am optimistic that it only lasted 4 days. Hubby and I have officially decided that we will take advantage of any possibility of me ovulating according to my FF chart.

I have also lost 3 lbs since my doctors appointment so that's a definite positive.

I am compiling my list of questions for my next gyn appointment and I am going to list them here to reference.

1) Can I get a full blood panel? (Will call beforehand so we have the results)
2) Am I insulin resistant?
3) What weight should I aim for?
4) I am RH - and DH is RH +, what should we be aware of?
5) Is metaformin a medication we could consider?

The list will grow, but this is my starting point.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Everything from my great plan was falling into place this year. 5 year wedding anniversary before TTC? Check. Completed Masters? Check. Come off BCP to give body 6 months to prepare? Check. Immediately start ovulating? -------------

It was my plan that we would have a May/June baby so I wouldn't have take time off work since I'm a teacher or minimal time off.

Uhm, yeah....

So technically at this point in my "plan" we should be waiting until August/September. That was our plan. I went off BCP in January to prepare my body and when no cycle came I freaked in March and we said screw it to condoms. Then April's diagnosis came. We have now said we are actively TTC, but I feel so darn guilty.

I am getting to teach an AP (Advanced placement) class next year for my first time ever which is a huge milestone in my career. I want this, and my current students want me there. I don't want to let them down in the semester before their May AP exam either.

I don't want to lose any opportunities to conceive because of PCOS, but at the same time, I don't want to hurt my work kids. So I'm charting and have OPKs on order and all that jazz, but now I'm having guilty second thoughts and wonder if I should go back to waiting. Then again, it sounds like my odds of conceiving in the first 6 months is low anyways, which would put me at September which would be perfect. ARGH.

My DH has been super excited about BD being BD. There are so many pregnant teachers going through the rotation at work that I want to be one. I just don't want to let down my principal for giving me this opportunity or my students that have cheered me on to get this position. Funny thing though, they've asked me when I am getting pregnant so they can throw me a baby shower at school. Still, I think they would resent me abandoning them right before their big test. At the same time, I don't want to let down my possible future DS/DD. Perhaps this month will be the only month I ovulate naturally. If that's the case I don't want to lose the opportunity.

I just have some crazy funky emotions going on about TTC right now.

So yeah, hope you had fun following all that ranting.

Adding to my questions:

6) If metaformin is an option would the slow release tablet be better?
7) Just how severe is my PCOS? I see some severe FSH & TSH results from other women, but mine are normal.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
8) I bled 14 days into my cycle, what's up with this?

Feeling broken part 2. I have been really optimistic at how stable charting my BBT has been. I thought maybe I'm not THAT bad... Then today I started spotting/bleeding/who knows and the depression hit and I felt broken again. I have a friend that knows what I am going with and she told me she was scared I was broken. I was not offended by this at all, but felt relief that someone understood how these symptoms would make me feel this way.

I want to be fixed.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 9th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hello wonderful moms, A̶̲̥̅♏ new here. I as diagnosed with pco since 2007, M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ gyn put me in ocp . It helped me see AF but when i got married , i was placed  clomid, ǻn̶̲̥̅̊ԃ progesterone for abt six months ǻn̶̲̥̅̊ԃ no result. So since dis year i ve being trying natural . I spotted from 1st jan to feb before i got AF. Then in march i spotted to april for 2months at times it becomes heavy. Then dr gave me primolut N. Also A̶̲̥̅♏ trying to do HSG. Pls any advice. A̶̲̥̅♏ 3 years ǻn̶̲̥̅̊ԃ few months in marriage
May 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Welcome. This is actually my individual journal so you won't get many responses but if you post your hello here on the main board you will probably get more responses. I am new to this journey so I don't have much advice but hopefully some of the other ladies do.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
So my mom now asks everytime she talks to me if I'm walking and what is my weight. I love her, and I appreciate that she's 100% on the get me preggo band wagon, but it makes me sad every time I don't have something good to say. I've had a horrible last week with our kitty passing away and my weight has gone back up a couple pounds. Hoping with summer coming I can get a regular gym cycle going again.

I've started trying out OPKs. I thought I was having a surge but then the high stress hit and my temps dropped and OPKs went blank. Now this week I seem to be surging again. I feel like my body hates me and is messing with me. It's making me very sad.

Right now I just feel like I'm battling depression. I've been sad in the past, but never like this.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
June 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Who would have thought that AF would be something to CELEBRATE! Heck yeah! I FINALLY had my first natural period since coming of the pill in January. It was 35 days and I O'd around day 22. It was a gorgeous chart to see. I am so excited to show my doctor next month that I can do it! It took almost half a year to O, but now that I'm there I am ready to kick this TTC action into gear. I feel so much less broken now that I've been able to have a real cycle on my own.

Adopted mom to DS (16)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search