What now??

Forum: Post Partum Depression

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Post Partum Depression LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so fustrated! I finally decided to address my issues with my doctor at my yearly appointment last week and she diagnosed me with depression. I've been struggling with this since a little after my first daughter was born and it took me well over a year to even consider that it could be depression. The past few months, things have gotten worse, to the point that I knew I HAD to get help. So I sucked it up and asked for help. The doctor sent in someone from the hospital to do an initial evaluation and she recommeded I try a partial hospitalization program there. It sounds like it would be a big help, but my insurance won't cover anything until we hit our deductible, which is still a few thousand dollars. We're struggling financially as it is, we just can't afford it.

So where do I go from here? She didn't prescribe me anything, but said she felt I will need something to help me get out of this. I think she was just assuming that I would do the partial hospitalization, which includes seeing a psychiatrist and getting medication if you need it. After a few phone calls, I finally found a psychiatrist in my area that I can see. It feels strange to even consider seing a psychiatrist, it makes me feel like I'm crazy Who else would be a good for dealing with depression? Do I need to go to a psychiatrist to get medication if I need it? I always assumed your regular doctor prescribed medication for depression and you would see a counselor on the side if you felt it was necessary. Help! I feel so lost and confused with what I should do!

Expecting baby #4!

November 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Some regular doctors will prescribe antidepressants. But it is kind of out of their expertise. Most doctors I've been to will give a referral to psychiatrist rather than prescribing something. From my experience, psychiatrists don't really do therapy, they just focus on finding the right anti-depressant for you and the right dosage. They tend to know better than a family doctor (or OB) about side effects.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.
November 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I had a counselor for my PPD. But I am also active duty military so my regular doctor prescribed medicine for me. I hope you are able to get the help you need and pull yourself through this. It is so hard especially when you have to add other stressors to the mix. I hope the psychiatrist helps.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

November 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous, but relieved to finally be getting some help. Thank you for the responses!

Expecting baby #4!

December 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am so glad you are going to the Dr. Oh that was today. How did it go? Do you feel better or that they can help at least? I hope so. Let us know.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search