When did you know

Forum: Post Partum Depression

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Post Partum Depression LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2011, 04:21 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering when people knew that something was wrong and needed to be done. How old was your baby and what made you get help?

Or if you think you might have an issue what has made you think you might need help.

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

February 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran
I realized something wasn't right around the time my daughter turned 6 weeks .. I started feeling tired all the time, no matter how much sleep I had gotten... I was snappy, irritable, my appetite started going down, and I started going into fits of rages .... What made me finally realize that I needed help was one day both the baby and my oldest ( he was 18 months at the time) were crying and I just snapped .. I just crawled into the bathroom and literally locked myself in there out of fear of what I would do .. I cried for 45 minutes until my husband could come home ... When he got me out my little boy was sitting in the corner holding his ears .... It was heartbreaking ... I realized then I needed help and I felt so horrible that it had gotten as bad as it did.

Thank you MommaDuck for the beautiful signature
March 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
my point wasnt as bad as yours but its similar. I have a 27m old and my 4 month old. I was trying to wrap the baby in a swaddle for a nap and she was fighting it and screaming and broke out of it twice. There is something about her crying/screaming that hits a nerve in my brain. It sets me off.

got so mad at her i screamed, I put my son out of the room and closed the door and screamed again at her so loud, louder than I ever had. my throat hurt after. I was so embarassed and ashamed.

March 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Veteran
I have seriously been there. I was the same way with my little girl crying ... just the sound of it would seriously just cause me to snap .. It was horrible. The best thing I found for me was anytime I got to that point I put myself in "Mommy Time Out" .. I took the baby put her in her crib, put my oldest one somewhere I knew he couldn't get into anything and I just put myself in my bed room and breathed.. It helps to get away from it so you can refocus .. You can't put yourself back to where you need to be when you're frustrated. I use to feel guilty if my kids were crying and I couldn't do anything for them .. since then I've realized that crying will not hurt them and that it's actually good to let them learn to self soothe themselves!

March 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
i might have to try that. i also wondered about using my mp3 player for me while trying to soothe her so it is not the only thing that i hear rattling my brain

March 4th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesGood View Post
i might have to try that. i also wondered about using my mp3 player for me while trying to soothe her so it is not the only thing that i hear rattling my brain
Good idea! Heck I may try that now ... Things can get insane around here with two toddlers and a 4 month old .. it'll be nice to drown them out sometimes ..

March 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Happy Mommy
I didn't. My midwife suspected it (she is a NP as well so I saw her for everything for me and the girls) and she brought it up at my 6 weeks PP check. and I went on meds then.

It wasn't until I was through all that I was able to tell that I had it with L as well, but never knew it then either.
March 22nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
Sometimes it it hard to know that you have a problem

March 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Around 6 months. I had been back at work ( a hellish nightmare) for about a month and a half. I began snapping at everyone. I snapped at dh, my students and even my baby.

One day, I had a breakdown at work. I just felt something snap in me. I went from being angry to just feeling hopeless and depressed.

Thanks MamaLacey for the awesome PR siggie

March 23rd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hugs Julie. Most of us have hit some sort of bottom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search