any help for severe anxiety

Forum: Post Partum Depression

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Post Partum Depression LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM
Regular
I have been told by my doctor that im suffering from a form of ppd called ppanxiety. I cant find any thing that describes me on the internet. I keep finding things saying women have fears of hurting their babies. Thats not me. I worry constantly that i cant protect my child enough. Im always afraid of him swallowing or eating something that will hurt him. I totally worry about chemicals in the house. I even stress when my husband puts flea stuff on the dog. Im afraid some will get on my child via husbands clothes or hands. Im driving husband insane. Weve had a few arguments over my fears not being rational. He has asked me not to read or watch tv anymore because i get new fears. I read a story about rabies and started worrying about a bat getting in the house or a dog licking one of us. Same thing after i read about breaking mercury themometers. I know im irrational but cant help it. I love my child so much and i feel like i cant let my guard down about anything. My doctor put me on lexapro and sometimes i think it may be helping but im still a big worrier. Ive tried finding things on the internet about this but cant find anything. Nothing describes me. I stay so stressed out that Im losing weght. I just want to be a good mom. Can anyone relate to this.
June 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
actually what YOU described is PPAnxiety

PPAnxiety is not about fears about hurting your child ... there's an over obsession about overprotecting him/her and possibly going off the deep end in order to ensure your kiddo's safety which could of course have a toll on your own mental health

The regular anxiety medications work such as xanax, lorazipam, ativan etc ...... if you have definate strong racing thoughts then some pdocs may also prescribe an antipsychotic med such as risperdal to ease these cause these thoughts seem so real.

I would say try and see a psychiatrist and not just a regular GP since its a bit difficult for GPs to understand mental disorders especially PPD related ones

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
June 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
im having problems with anxiety right now being PP.
my doctor offered to give me meds but i said no, id see if i could cope without.
mainly b/c of side effects from them (the sexual ones) and im
already just starting a bp med b/c my bp has been elevated PP too....

im a big worrier too about every little thing, so i understand what you mean.
when i start to get stressed i feel like im almost having a panic attack.
i get heart palpatations and feel short of breath and get just yucky feeling!
i thought feeling that way was part of my BP, but its been under control.
so my doc says its anxiety ?

June 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Quote:
I have been told by my doctor that im suffering from a form of ppd called ppanxiety. I cant find any thing that describes me on the internet. I keep finding things saying women have fears of hurting their babies. Thats not me. I worry constantly that i cant protect my child enough. Im always afraid of him swallowing or eating something that will hurt him. I totally worry about chemicals in the house. I even stress when my husband puts flea stuff on the dog. Im afraid some will get on my child via husbands clothes or hands. Im driving husband insane. Weve had a few arguments over my fears not being rational. He has asked me not to read or watch tv anymore because i get new fears. I read a story about rabies and started worrying about a bat getting in the house or a dog licking one of us. Same thing after i read about breaking mercury themometers. I know im irrational but cant help it. I love my child so much and i feel like i cant let my guard down about anything. My doctor put me on lexapro and sometimes i think it may be helping but im still a big worrier. Ive tried finding things on the internet about this but cant find anything. Nothing describes me. I stay so stressed out that Im losing weght. I just want to be a good mom. Can anyone relate to this.[/b]
how are you doing? thinking about you k?

Quote:
im having problems with anxiety right now being PP.
my doctor offered to give me meds but i said no, id see if i could cope without.
mainly b/c of side effects from them (the sexual ones) and im
already just starting a bp med b/c my bp has been elevated PP too....

im a big worrier too about every little thing, so i understand what you mean.
when i start to get stressed i feel like im almost having a panic attack.
i get heart palpatations and feel short of breath and get just yucky feeling!
i thought feeling that way was part of my BP, but its been under control.
so my doc says its anxiety ?[/b]
what meds you on? feel free to join us on the mood disorder board as well .. I'm host there, you can just click on my siggy to enter.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
June 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I'm so glad I stopped back in this board. I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought it was PPD, because I had never heard of anything else. Problem was, I wasn't really depressed. As soon as I came home with my son I started feeling mildly agoraphobic. Even to this day, I'd rather stay home than go out, mainly because I feel more in control here than when I leave the house. When I lay down at night my head races with irrational fears that I know are irrational but I can't force them out of my head. It's like I'm afraid to live because I'm afraid something will happen. It's no way to live... Unfortunately my health insurance is running out because DH is switching jobs, so I'm going to have to deal with it. I'm currently on Zoloft and it's not right for me, but I have to wean myself off because I get so sick from not taking it. Thank you for posting this because I hadn't even thought there was an actual PP Anxiety disorder...I just thought it was a side affect of PPD or the Zoloft. I hope things get better for you!

June 29th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Quote:
I'm so glad I stopped back in this board. I know exactly what you are talking about. I thought it was PPD, because I had never heard of anything else. Problem was, I wasn't really depressed. As soon as I came home with my son I started feeling mildly agoraphobic. Even to this day, I'd rather stay home than go out, mainly because I feel more in control here than when I leave the house. When I lay down at night my head races with irrational fears that I know are irrational but I can't force them out of my head. It's like I'm afraid to live because I'm afraid something will happen. It's no way to live... Unfortunately my health insurance is running out because DH is switching jobs, so I'm going to have to deal with it. I'm currently on Zoloft and it's not right for me, but I have to wean myself off because I get so sick from not taking it. Thank you for posting this because I hadn't even thought there was an actual PP Anxiety disorder...I just thought it was a side affect of PPD or the Zoloft. I hope things get better for you![/b]
hiya hun ... feel free to visit the Coping with a Mood Disorder board for support too k?

The link to the board is on my siggy

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
July 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Mine started that way as well. I went from being completely normal to worrying my child would die of SIDS, that he would get Rabies from the dog who was vaccinated, that he would die and I would find him blue, and so on. Now the fears have turned to myself - a brain tumor, ovarian cancer, etc. The fears are VERY irrational, but as real as night and day in my mind. The good news for me is that they come and go. I cycle on and off with severe anxiety/depression and usually the anxiety is at its worst when the depression is at its worst. Sometimes it is also just after a bout with depression...leading me to self diagnose bipolar 2.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search