Delayed PPD?

Forum: Post Partum Depression

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Post Partum Depression LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM
MelKD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it possible to have PPD 4 months AFTER having a baby? I've gone 4 months being happy as a little bird, but the past week or so, I've just been down and out, and I can't really figure out why...

Keeping the November 2008 PR in my Prayers

October 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Yes. you can get ppd up to a year after the birth of your child. Make sure you get your thyroid checked/ postpartum thyroiditis is very common after women give birth, I got ppd 3 months after she was born. It started with the anxiety to full blown depression. It was not till jan of this year that they said it was ppd. But again insists on the thyroid test, this can actually mimick ppd. That is why i did not get the proper treatment right away. I hope that you feel better soon. I have been dealing with this for over a year now. I understand completly. I actually think I have found my calling in life. I have been through so much this past year that nothing else seems to even bother me. I just want to help people feel better. This is so important to me because so many people do not understand ppd. I have been bounced back and forth to doc to doc. I have been there/ the doctors had me so convinced that there was something wrong with my head that I put myself in the hospital. See OBGYNs are not very well trained in this matter. If I was given the proper info to Identify ppd I would not have ended up half as bad. I hope that you get all the answers you need. I hope that i helped.
October 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM
MelKD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It does help, thank you. I have battled depression in the past, almost 3 years ago I was suffering from severe depression. I never went to the Dr. about it, but I know that's what it was, I cried every day, slept more than usual, ate less than usual, got into drugs, even had a nervous breakdown. That's why I'm concerned about the possibility of PPD. After DS was born, I was thinking, "What are they talking about, PPD? I'm happier than ever!" And I am, but like I said, lately, I've got this nagging feeling, like something's pulling me down, and I've lost motivation to get things done. And I'm glad you mentioned thryroid, because come to think of it, my mother has thyroid issues... as soon as my insurance kicks in at the end of this month, I'm going to try and see somebody about all of this...

Keeping the November 2008 PR in my Prayers

October 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM
adjsgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Absolutely....my doctor told me it can be delayed. That's why when they put you on happy pills, they want you to take them for so long.....
October 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Try to get the thyroid test done asap. If there is something wrong thi can cause major issues. Trust me I did not go to the doc until It looked like I swallowed a basketball. By then it was to late I will be on meds forever now. Sometimes womens thyroids go out of wack because of the sudden shift in hormones. Most of the time it is just temp. In my cause my immune system was attacking my thyroid. I just thought I was tired because the baby was not sleeping. You also start to gain weight and you litteraly feel like you were hit by a bus. I hope that everything works out for you. You will get through this and know that there are people out there to help you. keep me posted
October 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
Hmmm that thyroid info is news to me.......maybe I should get mine tested, I have a history of thyroid problems, and ended up gaining over 30lbs in less then 3 months......not to mention I'm still gaining after being on a diet.

As for delayed....Yup I was 5 months PP when I started getting depressed. and it wasn't until just a month ago that I was diagnosed with it. It doesn't hurt to see your Dr and talk about it, and see what they say. I hope you start to feel better soon!

October 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
You can always google postpartum thyroiditis. There it will give you the symptons and better explain it. This is why they would not diagnose me with ppd because they said thryoid disease can mimick ppd. Which i am sure that having that problem could have contributed to my ppd. I take a 100 mcgs of synthroid and I get checked every 3 to 6 months. Sooner if I dont feel well. With this you can switch from hper to hypo in no time at all. If you are gaining weight for no other reason then you might be hypo. I was also diagnosed with hashimotos. It is a auto immune disease. Good luck with everything
October 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
We are always here. I hope your appt with the Dr goes good and that you get some help. and if you ever need to talk just stop on in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search