new here

Forum: Post Partum Depression

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Post Partum Depression LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
ella'smommy
I hate that I am even admitting I may need help. I have been wanting so badly since my daughter was born to be "fine" and "normal"..... but I feel like I cannot keep suffering in silence like this.

I have had diagnosed depression/anxiety and an eating disorder (recovered) for over 10 years. I really planned well prior to getting pregnant about what I would do regarding meds and all. Well, I went off my meds because they were not compatible with pregnancy and have been going "cold turkey" despite doctors recommendations. My daughter is now 7 months and I am struggling. The anxiety is sooo bad that I am often too afraid to leave the house. I think I do a good job of caring for my baby (thankfully that's not the problem), but it's everything else in my life that seems to be slipping. Today I just had such a knot in my stomach.... not sure why.....

I would like to take meds but also continue BF. Ella loves to nurse and I am not ready to ween but what meds can I take? It just seems so scary to take something I know she'll get alittle of.

Sorry to ramble..... thanks for listening.
January 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Shyflutterby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Shyflutterby Send a message via Yahoo to Shyflutterby
hello and welcome to the PPD board. I'm not 100% sure on the Meds and breastfeeding.....but I'm pretty sure there is something out there you can take and keep breastfeeding. But the only way to know for sure is to talk to your Dr. It's very common for past suffers of Depression and anxiety to have the joy of suffering from PPD I know not the best joy in the world LOL

BTW I'm Cindy one of the Co hosts here! Feel free to post anytime even if it's just to gripe and complain. I will gladly listen, and offer any help I possiable can.

January 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM
ella'smommy
thanks Cindy....

yeah I have a psychiatrist who prescribed me Paxil. He said that it is "pretty safe" and that there is no drug that doesn't pass to the baby through the breastmilk but that it should be ok.... that just makes me nervous. I know people take meds and nurse, but being an anxious person already, it is hard for me to do it. I had the prescription filled after Ella was born but I can't get myself to actually take it. So I have just been "dealing".

*sigh*
January 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Dealing........I once lived with this thought.......I dealt with everything in my life. I dealt with the fact that I couldn't afford food, I dealt with the fact that I was going to live the rest of my life in debt. I dealt with the fact that I have no luck what so ever.......then I met my daughter. I thought I would deal with everything pertaining to her. But I couldn't deal with it, and it lead me to suffer even more from my depression. And that dealing eventually ended up with me not enjoying my DD. And to me that wasn't ok. have you talked to your peditrician about it? have you researched what side effects the meds could possiable have on your DD? i think you should start a list of the good vs the bad when it comes to taking the meds or not whle breast feeding. As a matter of fact I think I may do that just for others who visit it the board.

But seriously make sure that you aren't makeing yourself worse. I would be lost without my meds!! heck I do get lost without them!

January 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
adjsgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
my doctor put me on zoloft because I was breastfeeding.

Oh and welcome!!
January 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well from what I have read so far.....there's no real reseach on long term effects BUT in the regular research they say Zolft and Paxil and a couple of others arent' traceable in breast milk. So as for immediate effects there are none. But I'm still looking for some more resources! I made a post about it if you haven't seen it yet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search