Topic of the Week...Tithing

Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church

A positive place to learn about or share uplifting and interesting news and testimonies about the LDS Church. Please no bashing.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Please, share your thoughts, testimonies, any talks, scriptures, hymns, quotes, FHE ideas and anything else that you would like to add about tithing. Thank you.

How has paying your tithing blessed you temporally?
Has it blessed you spiritually?

Malachi 3:10
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

May 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've got an experience with tithing, Last year I had a job and I paid my tithing pretty regularly. One time I paid tithing with a check, but I didn't see the money come out of my account, it was right after I got paid though so I figured "oh, I just did the math wrong." and didn't think too much of it. Come December when I get my tithing statement from my bishop I realize that the money really hadn't gone through, I hadn't paid my tithing for the months of May-July. (I usually pay my tithing every 2-3 months depending on how much I'm earning.)

I had just quit my job and was preparing to move out to Utah when I found this out, but after thinking about it, I wrote another check to pay for the tithing that hadn't gone through, it was over $400, it would pay for a months rent, groceries and laundry, so I was really taking a chance on being able to find a job quickly. The money went through and I was able to catch up on tithing.

Come March when I'm beginning to run out of money, I do my taxes and e-file them with a request to put the money directly into my bank account, it would have taken a lot longer to mail a check so I clicked the little box that requested the direct deposit. A couple of weeks later I check online for my account statement and I notice the balance is higher then I thought it would be, so I go see the account activity, and I find a 3 hundred dollar stimulus check in my account. while I think every body got a stimulus check, the tax refund and the stimulus check added up to twice what I had paid in tithing the December before.

And even since I've been here in Utah, every time I've paid tithing on what I've sold on Ebay I get a little blessing afterward, like I pay tithing and the next time I'm running out of groceries my brother will ask me over to his apartment and give me some of his extra food, so all I have to spend money on at the store is Milk and maybe bread, it's helped me keep my grocery bill down quite a bit.

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."

Last edited by future_adoption_mommy; May 11th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
May 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a wonderful blessing.

The Bible indicates that God’s people followed the law of tithing anciently; through modern prophets, God restored this law once again to bless His children. To fulfill this commandment, Church members give one-tenth of their income to the Lord through His Church. These funds are used to build up the Church and further the work of the Lord throughout the world.
May 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM
aubbydobby
In all honesty, I think tithing is completely unfair. Not to me, mind you, but to the Lord. He gives us so very much and only requires one tenth of our increase in return. So not fair! He's amazing. I don't know how He does it. I do know, however, that every single time I've paid my tithes and offerings, I've made it through the month with enough to cover my needs. I have never been hungry, I've never been naked, I've never frozen to death (which is a real possibility here in Rexburg) and I've never been without. It's amazing to me.

I don't have any specific stories, but I really am grateful that our loving Heavenly Father gives us the opportunity to give back. 10% really doesn't feel grateful enough to me, but I'm glad for the chance to do it.
May 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't great that the Lord will do that for us. He shows us by example how we should be in service.

Alma 13:15
And it was this same Melchizedek to whom Abraham paid tithes; yea, even our father Abraham paid tithes of one-tenth part of all he possessed.
May 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tithing: A Test of Faith with Eternal Blessings
Elder Robert D. Hales
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
May 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
In Sunday School on Sunday we were comparing the laws of consecration and tithing. It was mentioned that many people consider tithing the "lesser" law, when that really isn't true. Why? Because consecration requires your surplus after your needs are met. Tithing require 10%. Period. Regardless of whether or not paying that 10% means there are bills that won't get paid, or food that can't be bought.

Tithing requires sacrifice.

But every time I have ever needed to choose between buying groceries or paying tithing, I have witnessed miracles (even if that miracle happens to be the Relief Society president stopping by and then taking me to the grocery store to buy milk and eggs and flour so I can bake bread).

May 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I can't even tell you how much Tithing has blessed my family spiritually. I was looking through my old scrapbook from childhood and my first tithing settlement was for $2.56. It is something that I have been taught to do for my entire life. There are so many things that I could choose from. When I was sick and bills were piling up DH and I found out that there was a trust fund set aside for my family for school and medical bills. At that point we were probably $100 away from maxing out both of our credit cards. We didn't have to pay 1 penny of my medical bills. It payed for the out of state tuition costs when we moved to SLC. Once we decided to not rely on the trust I got so much money from scholarships I can't even believe it. We have always gone by faith that since the law of consecration doesn't rely on money if we did pay that now, our monetary needs would somehow be met. This is how we are walking by faith with me starting graduate school in a year. We know that is what we are supposed to do and the financial parts will somehow be met.

Because of the Law of Tithing my testimony has remained quite strong. It is the most apparent example of if you do this by faith, while doing the right things in your life under the direction of the Lord, you will be blessed. I love tithing. It keeps my faith high. I love knowing the causes that the money goes to even if it is the upkeep of the building that I have the privilege of worshiping in every Sunday.

Thank you PrincessMom08 for my beautiful siggy!

May 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you. It is a blessing to have that reassurance that everything will be ok if we just do what is right by following the Lord.

I don't have any specific stories, but I can say that if I put the Lord first and pay my tithing (before I pay anything else) I have been blessed beyond measure. I am so grateful for that blessing. I have a strong testimony of tithing.
May 15th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I don't break up my blessings into "this because of this" and "that because of that." I obey everything to the best of my ability and am blessed because of it in general. I have always paid my tithing since I started earning money, Jamie has paid his since he joined the church 12 years ago, and the kids pay tithing on their pay (they work by doing chores to earn their weekly allowance - which can vary if they haven't done their chores properly and on time).

But, my best friend insists that things always work out financially for us because we pay tithing. She sees it because her husband is not active and doesn't pay tithing and she says they always end up on the raw end of financial matters and she feels that if he did pay tithing it wouldn't be that way (she does not have an income, but does pay tithing on anything she does get like for baby-sitting someone's kid or whatever).

We have never had a problem with needing money. We have always been very blessed in that. Whether it is because we pay our tithing or because the Lord just feels like blessing us in that way, I don't know. But I do know that I'm not going to stop paying tithing to find out! Seriously, tithing is the LEAST we can do to repay Heavenly Father! I view that money as simply not belonging to us. It's the first check entered when I do our finances every two weeks, before anything else.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is wonderful way to look at it, Heather.

Thank you everyone for sharing you testimonies on tithing .

Last edited by mommy melisa; May 17th, 2009 at 06:23 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search