Topic of the Week...Family

Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church

A positive place to learn about or share uplifting and interesting news and testimonies about the LDS Church. Please no bashing.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Please, share your thoughts, testimonies, any talks, scriptures, hymns, quotes, FHE ideas and anything else that you would like to add about Family. Thank you.

In "The Family: A Proclamation to the World," an official declaration released in 1995, Church leaders proclaimed that "marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." God's plan enables families who live the gospel and receive the necessary ordinances to be together forever with Him.

Last edited by mommy melisa; May 19th, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
May 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The Importance of the Family
Elder L. Tom Perry
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
May 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
aubbydobby
Thank you, Mormon Messages and Elder Holland for this:
YouTube - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: How Do I Love Thee?

This was brought up in a talk in sacrament meeting this week... and this is an awesome thought about how to love our families. I love Elder Holland, and I really love how he says, "How do I love thee? Not when do I love thee, nor where do I love thee, nor why do I love thee, nor why don't you love me? But rather, how. How do I demonstrate it, how do I reveal true love for you?" I think that if we all think in terms of "how" we will be so much more selfless, so much more focused on our families.

I love that talk...
May 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing that message, Aubri.
May 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
We talk all the time about the eternal nature of families, but sometimes it's hard to really grasp. Other than my grandfather dying when I was 9, until Cora I'd had no real need for a testimony of that concept. I mean, my family was all here. And I didn't know my grandfather well at all, so really, my life didn't change.

So, then, my first baby dies. The thing with losing your grandparents or your parents, is that you expect to outlive them. Not that it isn't still a very hard thing, but at least it doesn't go against the expected order of nature.

So then on Mother's Day, 12 days after I delivered my sweet angel, and my actual due date, I decided to go to church. Nobody expected me to. Matt told me that I shouldn't feel like I had to go that day. He didn't want me subjecting myself to all the hoopla celebrating the very thing that I had lost. I told him I needed to go to Sacrament Meeting. I had no clue why, just needed to. And I'm actually glad I did.

The first talk was on the divine nature of motherhood, and I just sobbed through the whole thing. I can honestly say that I didn't really listen all that well. I didn't want to.

But then the 2nd talk was on "the Eternal Nature of Families." I have no idea if the bishop was already planning that particular topic before we lost Cora or not, but it was very definitely needed. I'm not going to go into specifically what the Spirit whispered to me that day, but I can say that it was the beginning seed of a very strong testimony.

Before Cora, my faith that our families are eternal was not tested. It was dormant. I didn't need it. So it was hard when I did need it because it wasn't really there for me to depend on.

It took over two years before I could really honestly say that I knew I'd get her back and mean it. Before that it more of a very fervent hope.

I know that our families are bound for eternity. I know that through the sealing power, nothing, not even death (except maybe our own transgression) can tear a family apart. Cora is mine, forever and always. I know this, with every fiber of my being. She was here, she lives on, and she's mine.

May 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
aubbydobby
(happy tears!)

Thank you SO much for sharing this, Brittanie.
May 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy

Families Can Be Together Forever
May 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The Eternal Family
Elder Robert D. Hales
May 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The Family
By Elder Henry B. Eyring

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and testimonies on families...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search