A calling from God? Need a mentor

Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church

A positive place to learn about or share uplifting and interesting news and testimonies about the LDS Church. Please no bashing.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Butter
  • 1 Post By Butter
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By Butter
  • 1 Post By Butter
  • 1 Post By geogeek

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Testimonies and Information about the LDS Church LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran
I have had a lot weighing on my heart lately and I feel called to the LDS church. I am very active in my home faith but feel like something vital is missing. I really want someone to talk to and to see if this is really my call although I feel it is. Can someone spare some time to speak to me?

thank you
AJ

May 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sure. What questions do you have?
ajstout likes this.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Veteran
Oh thank you!!!! I know that family is so important and that Marriage is an eternal bond but what happens when you arent an LDS yet or if you become one and no one else in your family does. I also feel called because of the fellowship is that something all temples feel strongly about?

May 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
We do proxy work for the dead to seal families together if it doesn't happen in this life. My husband is a convert. His mother has no interest at all in the Church (his father died several years ago). Jamie is sealed to me and the kids, but he's as high as that chain up goes. We hope that maybe one day his mother would become interested, but if that never happens, it'll be okay. He can (and will) be sealed to his parents later.

Fellowship is very important. It's good to be around others who share your values and beliefs, especially for those of us who don't live near many other members. We do a lot of activities together. But, members are people with many different opinions, so sometimes there are problems between people. The main reason I go to church is to worship God. Fellowshipping is secondary to me (but not unimportant).
ajstout likes this.

Smaller on the Outside

May 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran
I go to church to worship God too but our church doesnt encourage fellowship so I feel disconnected from the congregation. So if you seal someone after death does it over ride their personal beliefs? I so appreciate you talking with me.

May 20th, 2012, 07:51 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
The proxy baptism and other ordinances are done so that the person can choose for themselves in the afterlife. One core belief is our agency. That continues after death. It wouldn't automatically override beliefs, it would give them an opportunity. My DH's parents are also not practicing members of the LDS church and he will eventually do the work for them after they have passed if they don't choose to come to the faith in their lifetime.

Congregations are often times called "ward families". Fellowship should be a large portion of what happens outside and inside the chapel. The women are called as visiting teachers where they are there to teach spiritual lessons to the women in their homes one time a month as well as make sure needs are met and to watch for the welfare of the people they visit. Men are called as home teachers where they teach families spiritual lessons one time a month in the home as well as be available to look out for the welfare of the families they teach.

Of course, with all things, the LDS church is made up of people and people are not perfect. The teachings are perfect, but not the people. Some people are better at fellowshipping than others. My current ward isn't the best at it, but you just have to be the person you want others to be.
ajstout likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
Yup, Rachel is exactly right on about people still getting to choose after they have die. Of course we hope they will choose to accept it, but it is still, ultimately, their choice.

That is sad that your church doesn't encourage any fellowship. Being around people who have the same basic beliefs as you help to strengthen you.
ajstout likes this.

Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Veteran
Wow you guys have really cleared up some major questions for me. It has opened my eyes to the idea that the only people who can answer your questions to a faith are the people who practice it I find it amazing that the information I was getting was so wrong and you are so right. Do you believe in callings per say? I have a rather important role in my church and I still feel like I am being called in the LDS direction. I think my dh thinks its a phase but I've felt this way for about 2 years and have just now found people to talk to (thank you ladies). I agree with all the teachings you have shared with me so far.

Yes, I find the lack of fellowship to be the second biggest factor in my unhappiness in my faith. The first being I am reallly questioning some of its fundamental teachings. I love the feeling of family I get when I pray about this. It's like I get a sudden feeling of overwhelming peace and love.

In my faith we have a "chain of command" that is pretty cut and dry. Do you have that as well? I know that we do have a few LDS young men doing their missions in our area would you recommend I try to catch them? I am ultra conservative so I would have to plan a time that my dh was here since they are male.

I have been doing an enourmous amount of studying but it helps me so very much to hear it from someone other than a book. Would you ladies be willing to stay in touch with me?

Thank you so very much
AJ

May 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM
Yes, we do believe in being called (or pulled or whatever word lol) to something. We call it personal revelation. We are all entitled to receive revelation from God for ourselves and those we have stewardship over (such as our children).

We do have a very clear chain of command. We have "presidencies" of a president, two counselors, and a secretary over each auxiliary group (Sunday School, the women's group Relief Society, the children's group Primary, etc.). Then we have a bishopric (bishop and two counselors) over the local congregations. Above them are stake presidencies, area presidencies, and so on all the way to the Prophet.

I would definitely suggest talking to the missionaries. They are actually required to have your husband home when they talk to you (or, for single women, at least one other adult, or meet in a public place). It's part of their rules. You can go here: Meet with the Missionaries | Mormon.org and fill out the form and the missionaries assigned to your exact area will get in touch with you. That site also goes over why missionaries serve missions and what you can expect when they come to visit.

I'm absolutely to stay in touch with you
ajstout likes this.

Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Veteran
You have been so helpful!!!!!!!!!! I was worried no one would share with me since I know there's always a chance someone is not being truthful as to why they want to chat (I have had that happen) its kinda scarey. The flow seems very similar to what I am used to in how your leadership is conducted. I agree that I may not find fellowship here either but at least I wouldn't be at odds with the teachings. I feel so spiritually empty where I am and I stumbled apon the Mormon site. I have studied many faiths and this is the one I keep feeling I belong.
Was is hard for your husband to convert since he wasn't raised in the faith or did he feel lead to it too? Do people of mixed faiths ever marry without conversion or is that not allowed?
My only struggle right now is I know we as women should be submissive to our dh but what if he ultimately doesnt feel lead as me and doesnt want to leave our faith? I feel women should follow their husbands because they are the home faith leader but, I can't follow what I dont believe anymore.

May 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Yes, we do believe in being called (or pulled or whatever word lol) to something. We call it personal revelation. We are all entitled to receive revelation from God for ourselves and those we have stewardship over (such as our children).

We do have a very clear chain of command. We have "presidencies" of a president, two counselors, and a secretary over each auxiliary group (Sunday School, the women's group Relief Society, the children's group Primary, etc.). Then we have a bishopric (bishop and two counselors) over the local congregations. Above them are stake presidencies, area presidencies, and so on all the way to the Prophet.

I would definitely suggest talking to the missionaries. They are actually required to have your husband home when they talk to you (or, for single women, at least one other adult, or meet in a public place). It's part of their rules.

I'm absolutely to stay in touch with you
I submitted my Info !!!!!!!

May 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
I know many people that have married with one spouse not being a member of the church. You would not be able to be married or sealed in a temple, but that doesn't mean that you are any less in the church because you are not married or sealed in the temple.

In all honesty, my husband was non religious when he was introduced to the LDS church at age 17. To him, it just made sense and he did feel compelled to join. He has been faithful since. I don't know of any active member of the church that hasn't had a pull from God toward the LDS church. I know that is what happened to me when I left home and made the choice for myself to remain active or not.

I believe that a woman should follow their husbands as the husband follows the personal revelations of the spirit. If your DH doesn't feel the same pull toward the faith, you need to trust in God that you are doing the best for you and make the decision for yourself. You can love him and lead him to make the decision to join, but ultimately it is his decision.

Congratulations on filling out the information to meet with the missionaries. They will be able to answer any question that you have. That is what they do full time. And of course, I will always be here to answer any question you may have as well!
ajstout likes this.

May 21st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran
Thank you I'm so glad I found you both!!!!

May 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
I know that we are both glad that you felt comfortable enough to ask us questions.

May 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
I agree with everything Rachel has said How exciting that you will be hearing from the missionaries soon

Jamie was not raised in any church either. He learned about the church through me. He attended church every Sunday for a year before he joined. He took his time, but, ultimately, he knew it was the right place to be.

We have friends in our ward where she was a member all her life. 7 years ago she married a non-member. After over 5 years of marriage he decided to join the church, too. They have since been sealed in the temple. Stuff like that happens. Of course it is best if both parts of the couple are the same religion (that goes in any religion really), but that's not always the way it is.

Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search