TTC+overweight

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2006, 09:15 AM
AGEESMOMMY's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to AGEESMOMMY
hi... im sure this question has been asked before... but i am on on JM since Novemeber and ususally post on the TTC forum... SOOOO first i will introduce myself... My name is Maria and i have been TTC for three months. I have a 2 1/2 year old and want to have another one. i lost thirty pounds last year and as of yesterday gained 9 back. My question is .. Does being overweight hinder the ability of becoming pregnant easier??? thanks for your responses in advance... Maria
January 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Ashes78
Hi, it's nice to meet you. My name is Ashley.

I am overweight and had no trouble at all getting pregnant with Xander. We weren't even trying at the time, he was a bit of a suprise. I don't think it effects it in any way.
January 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
AGEESMOMMY's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to AGEESMOMMY
Quote:
Hi, it's nice to meet you. My name is Ashley.

I am overweight and had no trouble at all getting pregnant with Xander. We weren't even trying at the time, he was a bit of a suprise. I don't think it effects it in any way. [/b]
thanks for the reply.... i really thought i heard it did.. at least for some people. Congratulations on Xander.... and nice to meet you too
January 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard that it does, but that's not my personal experience.

I was significantly over weight (by like 80lbs) when I got pregnant back in July. My OBGYN gave me a clean bill of health end of June, and we were pregnant by the middle of July! I also have 2 friends who are significantly overweight, and they also had no problems getting pregnant.

</div>
January 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I am overweight (by a lot) and we got pregnant the first month off the pill. I didn't go off the pill to begin TTC, so this little one is a surprise for us as well.

My SIL was a little overweight and had a miscarriage, but her miscarriage wasn't directly linked to her weight. They discovered that she had PCOS, and she was able to conceive again and now has a beautiful 3 year old daughter!

Good Luck!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
It's kinda like the chicken and the egg for some of us. I have pcos (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) and am overweight because of insulin resistence. Some people think the you have pcos and insulin resistence because of being overweight. So who knows. I think that is probably where you have heard about weight affecting fertility. Just because you are overweight doesn't mean tht you have pcos either. There are lots of other symptoms too. Good luck!!!

January 4th, 2006, 06:30 PM
mom to soon to be 4 GIRLS
When I got pregnant with my daughter, we only had sex one time that whole month.
This time, I got pregnant on our 3rd month of ttc.

January 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It didn't have any effect on me. I got pregnant the month after I stopped taking the pill.

Good luck with TTC
January 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
i really thought i heard it did.. at least for some people.[/b]

LOL it's only non-overweight people that you will hear that from. I used to hear it too.. My infertility was un-explained, and I constantly heard from family members that maybe if I lost some weight I could get pregnant. When in reality, I just ovulate at a totally different time than most people.. apparently anyways.. LOL Good luck to you!!

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
January 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It took us 6 months.. but also factor in that I am much older than the average person TTC.. I am 37. I dont believe that being overweight had any hinderence on my fertility, although I did cut out the sugar when I was TTC.

and I totally agree with DeenaL up there ^^^^^

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Just wanted to add that I don't have PCOS and I am overweight! I got pregnant the first month of not trying not preventing!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 5th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Miles
Hello
I am also new here, I am way overweight also and ttc. I usually post on the ttc after m.c board being I had one back in Oct. I was also told that it can affect getting pg but with the one I m.c it was the first month of ttc and didnt have a prob getting pg. Good luck!
January 8th, 2006, 06:58 AM
syncere
Quote:
hi... im sure this question has been asked before... but i am on on JM since Novemeber and ususally post on the TTC forum... SOOOO first i will introduce myself... My name is Maria and i have been TTC for three months. I have a 2 1/2 year old and want to have another one. i lost thirty pounds last year and as of yesterday gained 9 back. My question is .. Does being overweight hinder the ability of becoming pregnant easier??? thanks for your responses in advance... Maria[/b]

Doctors say that being overweight can drastically hinder your ability to get pregnant in all honesty.. But then again if you are "fertile myrtle" your weight will have absolutely no effect on anything.. I guess it just varies person to person.. If you have saught help while trying and there is nothing wrong with either of you physically then you "could" assume that your weight may be the problem.. Simply losing a few extra pounds could help out or just make you relax enough to help.. Stress can effect you the same way worrying and wanting something so much could not help the process along either.. I had my son almost 5 years ago.. and I only have one ovary and am overweight.. I wasnt trying but, wasnt trying to prevent it and it took me almost 5 years to get pregnant again.. So was it because of my weight? Possibly.. Was it because I only have one ovary? Possibly.. Nothing is ever certain..

And actually its not just "non"overweight people who say that.. you ask any doctor and they say weight CAN factor into your ability to get pregnant.. here I am for example telling you that my weight could have been a factor.. and I am infact overweight as well..

The only thing anyone can say is good luck and dont give up..
January 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I am overweight as well and here to tell you it is very possible that your weight can affect your fertility. I have gotten pregnant EVERY time that I have ovulated since I've been married. That has only been twice, so getting pregnant is no problen for me if I ovulate. I just never seem to ovulate. The reason I don't ovulate is because of my weight. That is a medical fact for me. It is not true for everyone, but may be true for many. Good luck I hope you are successful!

P.S. I did have one miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks probably due to my pcos which is either caused by my weight or my weight problen is caused by the pcos.

January 9th, 2006, 04:00 PM
groovie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Just wanted to add that I don't have PCOS and I am overweight! I got pregnant the first month of not trying not preventing![/b]
Lucky You!

I also have PCOS and insulin resistance and believe that's why Im overweight and have not yet gotten pregnant. I do not think being overweight in itself makes it harder for you to get pregnant, but being overweight and having other health problems does.
January 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Deena's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Doctors say that being overweight can drastically hinder your ability to get pregnant in all honesty.. But then again if you are "fertile myrtle" your weight will have absolutely no effect on anything.. I guess it just varies person to person.. If you have saught help while trying and there is nothing wrong with either of you physically then you "could" assume that your weight may be the problem.. Simply losing a few extra pounds could help out or just make you relax enough to help.. Stress can effect you the same way worrying and wanting something so much could not help the process along either.. I had my son almost 5 years ago.. and I only have one ovary and am overweight.. I wasnt trying but, wasnt trying to prevent it and it took me almost 5 years to get pregnant again.. So was it because of my weight? Possibly.. Was it because I only have one ovary? Possibly.. Nothing is ever certain..

And actually its not just "non"overweight people who say that.. you ask any doctor and they say weight CAN factor into your ability to get pregnant.. here I am for example telling you that my weight could have been a factor.. and I am infact overweight as well..[/b]
While I can say that I said the "Its only non over weight people that will tell you that.. " thing, I can honestly say too that it was a tongue in cheek comment, kinda a joke.. you know??? Thank you for correcting that, because I woudln't want anyone to actually take that literally... Obviously it's going to have some sort of effect on the body, just as if a skinny person was a heavy smoker or drinker, ... or just lived an unhealthy lifestyle, that could affect their fertility as well.. Being born in the wrong area, working in the wrong kind of conditions, using the wrong laundry soap, eating the wrong kind of produce, genetic issues, etc etc..

But don't forget, there are alot of non overweight people out there that have the very same fertility issues that overweight people have.. un-explained infertility, un-explained lack of ovulation.. it's something that'll get you, no matter what size you are.. I think that overweight people are singled out on this one, because being overweight is still something that is generally tabooo..

I realize it's hard on the body, bad for the health, and can definitely have an effect on it.. but there are other things that it can stem from too...

I dunno.. just rambling ..

Our boy, James!! Born February 18, 2006!! xoxoxoxox
January 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM
syncere
My brothers wife is not and has never been overweight and she has pcos and it took them fertility drugs and a few years down the road for her to get pregnant.. It is true all different sizes of people have fertility issues and I feel for them.. Have you all noticed it seems that the people who dont really want children seem to get pregnant at the drop of a hat but the people who want them and deserve them cant?? Or the people who drink like fish, smoke like chimneys and do all kinds of bad drugs are the first ones to get pregnant..
January 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 260lbs down 18 lbs from my highest weight when I got pregnant.
My mother says being over weight does effect your fetelity. Everytime she got pregnant it was after having lost some weight maybe 20-30 lbs or more.

So Crunchy
January 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to macsmom Send a message via Yahoo to macsmom
Quote:
hi... im sure this question has been asked before... but i am on on JM since Novemeber and ususally post on the TTC forum... SOOOO first i will introduce myself... My name is Maria and i have been TTC for three months. I have a 2 1/2 year old and want to have another one. i lost thirty pounds last year and as of yesterday gained 9 back. My question is .. Does being overweight hinder the ability of becoming pregnant easier??? thanks for your responses in advance... Maria[/b]
It made a HUGE difference with me and trying to concieve. DH and I tried for 5 years. Once I lost 40 pounds I got PG right away. Same thing for this pregnancy. In fact the Dr. put me on Metformin and I lost a ton of weight and low and behold I am pregnant with #2.

They say that testosterone feeds off of body fat and that too much testosterone will cause you to not ovulate and hinder conceiving.

You can have your hormone levels tested to see if you have the proper levels.

This does not appy to every over weight person as I am still very over weight when I got pregnant with both babies. I was 230 with #1 and about 224 with #2.

Good luck and I hope this helps

January 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
in my experience... I would say yes.. But every one is different.. My weight and hormones made my periods out of wack. Making it harder to concieve.. I got pregnant 3 years after I had Walker and lost the baby.. Then it took me three more years to become pg with Braxton.. And this wasn't because of me being on the pill.. I was put on the pill a few days before I concieved Braxton.. The doc wanted to regulate my periods because we wanted another baby.. And what they say is true use protection the first week you are on the pill.. I got pg on the second day I took the pill with Braxton..... And this baby was a total shock to us.. I thought I would have to wait another 3 years to get pg again...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search