have you ever thought about it?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Veteran
Gastric Bypass.

Hi my name is shelley.. I am very over weight.. i have tried all the diets and they work for a day then I gain back the weight. ( kinda sounds like a opening at meeting ) I want to have more children but my weight is becominga issue. I have been told by a doctor that my weight would make a great person for the operation but I dont know if thats something I want to do.. I was hoping to get a bunch of advice.. Thanks in advance..
DS 2
3 fur babbies
January 25th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Veteran
i am 5'5" and least just say I am over 100 lbs for my weight.. I think I should be about 150 or 160
DS 2
3 fur babbies
January 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I am 5'1" and a few years ago a doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to concieve if I didn't lose weight. I weighted 200 then....I tried, but ended up gaining it back! It was terrible.

I got pregnant in November (I think) and I weighed 260 ish in early December. Since then I have lost 10 almost 15 lbs and I am now almost 15 weeks.

My ideal weight is somewhere around 120. I saw a baby special delivery on the discovery channel and this woman had surgery to lose weight and had ended up getting pregnant and they were worried that the baby didn't get enough nurishment in the womb.

I would do research on pregnancy after this surgery. Good Luck!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Veteran
i know that you need to take pills for nurshiment. My friend had it done and she feel pg about 10 weeks after having it done and her baby was fine.. I dont know.. Its just my legs are hurting well my knee and I know that my weight is a issue.. i dont know
DS 2
3 fur babbies
January 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Mommy2oo6's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2oo6
I have been researching WLS for 3 1/2 years now, and found that the Lap-Band is the best was to go for women who plan to be preggo after the surgery. I just submitted my request to the insurance company. So we will see... Hopefully I'll either be preggo or having WLS by March.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/i...rgery+types.php
Here's my profile http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/m...p?N=H1022711639
January 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Veteran
thanks for the website.. Its given me something to think about
DS 2
3 fur babbies
January 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
compassiongrl75's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to compassiongrl75
My sister had gastric bypass surgery and she did really well. She ended up pregnant not even a year after the surgery and her son has had a lot of health issues and was born prematurely. I don't know for sure if it was from the surgery or not but her other 3 kids were all fine and overdue.

She really encouraged me to get the surgery and sent me to the obesity help website which has an enormous amount of info and all the people are very nice and supportive. After my research, I decided it wasn't something I wanted to do to my body. I think it is very personal decision but one that should be made only after a lot of research and talking to people who have had it. Not everyone's experience is the same so you need to prepare yourself to handle the worst case scenario if you decide it is something you want to do.

There is another lady on here who suffers from PCOS and Insulin Resistance like I do and she went on the South Beach Diet. It really isn't a diet but more like a lifestyle change and she has been successful with it. I just haven't made the effort to try it yet.

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide and know that you will always have someone to talk to here!
January 27th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy gatita
i have been overweight all my life, and now i am the heaviest i have ever been, being 300+ lbs. i spoke to my doctor about the surgery awhile back and he strongly discouraged me from it. reason being was that for my weight, i am still healthy *knock wood* i do not have any weight related health issues. he also suggested the south beach diet, i went and got the books right before i found out i was pregnant. i know many have had great success with the surgery, i just happen to know 5 people that had a disaterous time with it and now have other health issues that cannot be corrected. my doctor said that its more of a last resort sort of thing, so after the baby comes, i am going to give south beach a shot. for me it just seems so scary to have it done. good luck with whatever you decide and hopefully the baby fairy will visit you soon! *hugs*

January 27th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Veteran
i have thinking about this for a couple of years now.. I am going to go a diet.> well I hate that word. I am going to limit my intake of food. I have just bought a treadmill So I will be using that everyday.. I think by changing my job It will help also.> my old job hours where 12-9pm and my new hours will be 8-5.. so I will able to cook dinner and eat healthy... So we will see.. Thanks for all the thoughts on the subject
DS 2
3 fur babbies
January 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
compassiongrl75's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to compassiongrl75
Its not just about limiting your intake on food or calories but about eating things that are healthy for you. Its also about eating smaller frequent meals and not eating anything after like 7 pm or 8 pm.

I know what you mean about the hours. I currently work 12- 8:30p and I am going to be switching to 8-4:30p so I am hoping I won't be eating late at night anymore and will be able to cook healthy meals, etc.

Good Luck to you and keep us posted.

We are you your leaders
January 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom had the surgery done twice. Her friend had wls done 2 times as well. My mom has another friend that is 300+ and had the surgery.

The bottom line is surgery is not the answer. Yes, it can work and you might keep it off for a couple years, but really it takes self control. A LOT OF SELF CONTROL. Even with the surgery you can still eat and eat. My mom used to down tons of chocolate. Infact, chocolate was the only thing that really would stay down.

My mom also had a lot of complications from the 2nd surgery. She had to have her spleen removed too. She ended up having pnemonia several times and she had trouble taking a medication that would digest properly. She developed severe reflux AND to top it off certain foods she was told to eat would just fermint in her stomach. The last major issue was having to have corrective surgery because her stomach was growing closed. We had moved from MO to TX cause of her illness and then we ended up having to fly her back to MO for the correct surgery. It was a reallyyy scary time. She became a bag of bones. Her hair all fell out and even though she hasn't been ill in the past couple years the hair never came back properly. She has shaved all her hair off now and wears a wig to work, but goes out w/o somtimes. She still has bald spots though.

She always has to go in and get Bshots too. It is a hastle. She still has weight issues cause the surgery didn;t cure her depression which keeps her eating.

So Crunchy
January 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Veteran
thanks for for the help.. I was thinking about the lap band. I am going to give it a last 6 month effort.. I really need to work on this.. So together with Dh I am sure we can make changes as a family and all become healther
DS 2
3 fur babbies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search