embaressed :(

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok well tomorrow is my first appointment... im probably already 3 months or so because when i went to my regular doctor dec 28 i was around 7 weeks..it took a couple of months to finally get an appointment so its tomorrow...im soo embaressed to go there because i am over weight.. im a size 16 i just have all these worries that people there are going to look at me weird and how the doctor will look at me when she sees me for the first time..what happened at all your first appointments? do you think theyll let me hear the heartbeat tomorrow or at another appointment? also if they cant detect the heartbeat because of my size do u think theyll actually say its because of my weight..im so nervous!!..my mom offered to come in with me (im a teen) but i said no thanks...also when did u all start to show? when im laying down on my side then turn to my stomach my stomach is actually hard but sometimes its not hard at all..do you think its because the baby is moving? ..thanks everyone...oh yeah by the way my name is sandy! and i hope i get to no u all

February 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I'm overweight as well - an 18/20 when I got pregnant. They tried to hear the heartbeat at 13 weeks, but couldn't really hear it, so I got another ultrasound to see the babys heart beating.

At your first appointment, they will take a lot of blood for just about every test in the book, and ask you a LOT of questions. It's all so they can know everything about you and know what type of special care you might need - if you have any diseases or anything. Don't be afraid.

I wondered if they couldn't hear my baby's heartbeat because I am overweight an there was too much "fat" to go through to hear the hearbeat. But sometimes it's just not able to hear it.

My doctor is keeping an eye on me for gestational dibetes - since I am overweight.

I haven't started to show, but I am definately bigger. I've heard with bigger women it take a lot longer to get the "bump."

I hope everything goes well with your appointment!!! And don't worry.

February 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Quote:
I'm overweight as well - an 18/20 when I got pregnant. They tried to hear the heartbeat at 13 weeks, but couldn't really hear it, so I got another ultrasound to see the babys heart beating.

At your first appointment, they will take a lot of blood for just about every test in the book, and ask you a LOT of questions. It's all so they can know everything about you and know what type of special care you might need - if you have any diseases or anything. Don't be afraid.

I wondered if they couldn't hear my baby's heartbeat because I am overweight an there was too much "fat" to go through to hear the hearbeat. But sometimes it's just not able to hear it.

My doctor is keeping an eye on me for gestational dibetes - since I am overweight.

I haven't started to show, but I am definately bigger. I've heard with bigger women it take a lot longer to get the "bump."

I hope everything goes well with your appointment!!! And don't worry. [/b]
Thanks a bunch for replying to my post.. ill try not to worry but i dont no hehe..ill post an update after my appointment..its at 820am

February 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
First of all, congratulations!!

I haven't heard my baby's h/b on doppler yet but we did get to hear it on the u/s machine! If you have a nice and understanding doctor they should make you feel comfortable and at ease no matter what happens. If they make you feel bad then I suggest switching doctors!

At my first appointment they took blood and a urine sample and asked tons of questions. I also had a breast exam, pap smear, and pelvic exam. The doctor was nice and never made me feel bad because of my size! Just remember-- your doctor is a professional. I'm sure they've seen it all and more! There's no need to be embarassed. Be excited and happy! You're growing a baby!!

February 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
starryeyes22's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to starryeyes22
Hi sandy!! I understand your concerns. I am also 16/17 and alot bigger than when I had my first two (size5/7) I am worried that my doctor will think I let myself go when I go for my first appt on March 2nd. I am very nervous. and on top of all that my jeans are already getting tight. lus the hungry all the time feeling are there, and Df says I eat too much and I am scared he might lose interest soemtimes. But I agree that it is a happy time and everyones concern should be on the baby, not you or your weight!

February 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
i wanna say thank you all for replying to my post..it makes me feel a little better..my heart is already pounding and its not even close to the time of me going!..what makes me really nervous is the exams (pap smear etc) i never had one before and actually i dont like people looking at me..i even hate it when my bf sees all of me..i always been the quiet type and covered up..heck i dont even like when they lift up my shirt to hear my heartbeat ha..when u go for a pap smear and things do u have to take everything off? even shirt/bra? im a worry wart! which u probably all can tell...im excited to get to no all of you...incase u dont no my name is sandy...

February 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ladyjill
Quote:
ok well tomorrow is my first appointment... im probably already 3 months or so because when i went to my regular doctor dec 28 i was around 7 weeks..it took a couple of months to finally get an appointment so its tomorrow...im soo embaressed to go there because i am over weight.. im a size 16 i just have all these worries that people there are going to look at me weird and how the doctor will look at me when she sees me for the first time..what happened at all your first appointments? do you think theyll let me hear the heartbeat tomorrow or at another appointment? also if they cant detect the heartbeat because of my size do u think theyll actually say its because of my weight..im so nervous!!..my mom offered to come in with me (im a teen) but i said no thanks...also when did u all start to show? when im laying down on my side then turn to my stomach my stomach is actually hard but sometimes its not hard at all..do you think its because the baby is moving? ..thanks everyone...oh yeah by the way my name is sandy! and i hope i get to no u all [/b]
Hi, I'm overweight too.. I wear a size 13. And I'm a teen, so I can relate. Anyway, people won't look at you weird, chances are you'll see other bigger women at the office sometime during your millions of appointments lol. The doctor isn't going to look at you any differently, you're his/her patient and she's there to make sure you and your baby remain healthy. They were able to hear my sons heartbeat on a doppler at 13 weeks, but I know smaller girls who weren't able to detect a hb until a little while later. Don't be so hard on yourself! I started to look pregnant and not just chunky around week 23.. People start showing at different stages though, small or large. ooh and about the pap.. they have you undress from waste down, do you can keep your bra and shirt on UNLESS they do a breast exam too. Good luck with everything hun, update us!
February 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
First of all, try to relax!! The entire exam will be much more comfortable if you can relax I always loved the doctors who talked to me through the whole thing.. when they ask you questions and you have to answer there's no time to sit and dwell on what it is they're doing down there

And even if they do a breast exam you'll have a gown or vest on the whole time. They'll just uncover one side at a time, do the exam, and re-cover you. No big deal! They've seen it all before.

February 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
heya

Im not plus sized, but i would like to say something to you girls

Dont let anyone put you down for how much u weigh or look! when you are preggo, you will look preggo. If a doctor ever says anything negative (unless health risks) about yur weight, than stand up for yourself and tell em where to go!

I was looking at all the cute preggo bellies, you all look preggo... good job and congrats to all expecting!!!

sorry for budding in i just had to say that!
February 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy gatita
i can so totally understand how you feel. i am alot heavier now than with my last one, i wish i was a 16/18, right now i am a 30/32, i am over 300 lbs. my doctor is not a jerk about it, hes very tactful. my last appointment at just about 12 weeks, he could not hear the heartbeat, i knew why, but he did not say anything, told me it was because i was at the cusp of being able to hear it, hes really sweet. i got to hear it at my perinatologist appointment on friday and i was thrilled. right now i am 16 weeks. the only thing my doctor watches carefully is my BP and my urine to see if there is sugar in it, otherwise, hes not all over me. my last prenancy was hell, i dreaded going to the doctors cause i knew i would get yelled at for gaining weight. i have lost about 26 lbs thus far, and i got yelled at for that, lol, ironic isn't it? there are so many plus size women that are giving birth to healthy babies, i would not worry about what going to happen, keep yourself relaxed and you will be fine, the more you relax during the pap, the better off you will be. take slow deep breaths, works for me. keep us posted on how everything is, and best of luck!

February 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am overweight. I am a size 14. Don't let any doctor say anything to you about your weight. If he has a problem with it then go find someone else. I find personally that female doctors are more sensitive to their patients and then a male. Don't get me wrong there are males that are great. I am just saying from my experince. So try not to worry about it. I'm sure everthing will be fine.

Snowball Fight 2006- I've been hit 9 times!
Thank you Meighan for the siggy!

I've lost 4lbs!!
February 21st, 2006, 01:35 AM
SpugsLady's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to SpugsLady Send a message via Yahoo to SpugsLady
i'm a little confused here, are we on about a dr's appointment? or a midwife or something?

Coz when i went for my 1st dr's appointment alls he did was refer me to a midwife, he diddnt check my height weight blood pressure, nada!

<div align="center"></div>
February 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I was around a 18/20 when getting pregnant and I don't feel like my nurses or doctor treated me any differently than they would a thinner expectant mom. My SIL went to the same doctor when she was overweight with her last pregnancy and he never bugged her about her weight or how much she gained. He is fine with exercising and knows that both DH and I are overweight and all he said is walking would help. I am actually curious to see what he will say if his scales say the same thing my scales have said - according to mine at home I have lost weight instead of gaining right now!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

February 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
chelenember's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to chelenember
Well I started off this pregnancy well over a size 16! At 14 weeks I got to hear the heartbeat on the doppler. About 20 weeks I started to look/feel pregnant. I am 35 weeks now and there is no guessing if I am pregnant or not! Also I was worried that I wouldn't get to experience watching my belly move like the thinner girls but that is soooo not the case. I watch my belly all of the time. Looks like there is an Alien in there trying to get out!

Just know that being overweight should only make your dr look more closely at things that are related to being overweight ... like diabetes and high blood pressure. If you feel at all like you are being judged by your weight, get another dr/midwife. You should feel extremely comfortable.

I wish you the best in your pregnancy. Don't dwell on your weight, just focus on the little bean that you will have at the end of it all!

thanks Springbokkie for my beautiful siggy

February 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM
rhysmom's Avatar Veteran
Hi Girls

I am a plus size mom 16/18 when pregnant with my son. I was never made to feel shame or treated badly by my OBGYN at all. I was monitored for gestational diabetes etc. The only trouble they had was when I asked them to guess what size the baby was going to be once I got near the end. Due to my size they were unable to guess.

Ciao
Becky

Heart Rate
Dec 11/07 - 173 - 10 wks
Feb 13/08 - 146 - 20 wks
Mar 11/08 - 152 - 24 wks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search