Finally Did it! Lots of questions.....

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Justjeni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have to share with all you ladies that I finally took the plunge and called and made an appointment for me to go see a doctor. In September it will be 2 years of me off BC and no baby. I'm nervous but excited! We have a consult with an OBGYN that specializes in fertility. I'm nervous but excited!
What should I have prepared when I go to the doctor?
What questions should I ask?
Will they do anything the first appointment?

Anything else I should do/know?
June 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Wow Jeni that's so great.
First off if you can print your fertility friend charts for at least the last six months that would be really helpful, it would of course be better if you can go with a year or so of charts even if they are handwritten.
They will ask allot of questions, some that pertain to you and some to your dh, and allot of them will have to do with menstrual and family history, they may want to go ahead and do a round of tests mostly blood tests at first to check hormone levels and such. they may also want to send your dh for a SA which is not bad at all, they let us collect the sample at home which is great if your dh is kinda shy about it( mine is).
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you girl and so hoping they will start you on a regimen that will help you get your bfp

June 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks Vicki! I do have my cycles back from when I went off BC! I will try and print those off fertility friend.
They didn't say anything about fasting they just said to come in and talk. I asked if they would do a pap that day and she said no they will prolly schedule all that after the meeting with the doctor. I'm very nervous and not sure what to expect so thanks for your info.
I'm hoping she is nice to "big girls" considering you just never know how the doctors are going to be.
June 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Awesome! Here's hoping that they're able to get some answers for you!!

I don't know what to tell you to expect or ask for really though. Vicki seemed to cover pretty much everything.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
June 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
amholb0's Avatar Mrs.Fitz
Congrats on taking that step!
June 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Jeni I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you girl, most doctors are nice to big girls, I think it will go wonderfully for you, and I am so happy that you made the appointment.
Allot of my blood work I had done I did not have to be fasting for, but usually they don't do allot of testing the first day, with me I had blood work done on cycle day 21 to see if I ovulated and on cycle day 13 I had an ultrasound to check for follicles and make sure they were maturing at the right stage, which mine never were, they may do some testing such as this on you also.

June 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
When they do the ultra sound is the internal?
June 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I had the internal one to make sure that my lining wasn't too thick since I hadn't had a period in a LONG time at the time I started doing my stuff. I haven't had one to really check to make sure I had follicles growing. Though of course they did look at the follicles and saw there were a bunch of immature ones. The "string of pearls" that are common among PCOS women.

June 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Annaka what is string of pearls?
June 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
It's when the follicles don't fully mature they just leave behind the shell or whatever and there's usually a bunch of them all strung together so it looks like a string of pearls.

Here's a link I found describing it and showing pictures.
PCOS Hidup dengan PCOS

Last edited by gumonyershoe; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
June 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Jeni, yes when they do the ultrasound it is internal, but it's not bad

June 24th, 2009, 09:46 AM
The tech told me it was "like a tampon" but it would have been the biggest freaking tampon I have ever seen! But yeah, it wasn't bad at all.

June 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck Jeni... but sorry I don't know what kind of questions you should ask... I wish you the best!
June 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats Jeni! Sept will be here before you know it!!

when I went in for my yearly woman check last august i told my OB sam and I were going to start trying and she asked me about my cycles and noticed I had never been on BC (well in high school for 2 cycles, but it made me deathly ill and I was suicidal..so I refuse to ever go on it again) ... so she did some bloodwork on me (found out I had pretty severe hypothyroid) and she referred Sam for an SA right away. It wasn't bad at all, and he was thrilled to find out he was the king of sperm

so then we started testing me...and that lead to my dx of PCOS..thats when all the bloodwork started. I was getting my blood drawn almost every other day for a month! they tested every hormone at certain times to see if I was doing what I was supossed to be. No ovulation, nothing. I had the internal u/s to confirm PCOS - and I too had the perfect string of pearls. The worst u/s I had was on the third day of my cycle...it was just awkward because I was bleeding! But it wasn't uncomfortable physically. Then I started Clomid on CD5-9 then I had to get u/s often to watch follie growth and then, trigger and IUI!

our whole process happened pretty quickly. I felt lucky to have a really proactive OB. It all started in August and we got our bfp in December!! And I know you will too!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search