I failed my one hour gd test-xposted UPDATED

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Girls I am trying not to stress over this, but my doctors office called today to tell me that my number was too high on the one hour test, so I am going in thursday morning to do the three hour test, I have no clue what my chances of this test turning out better are, they said my number was 139 and that they don't like to see numbers above 129, anyone else dealt with this??

Last edited by Vicki...; July 9th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
July 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep I've had GD twice, its not as bad as it seems though, but it is hard to deal with emotionally.

I only took the 3hr with Seamus, I failed both the 1hrs with both kids, but refused to take the 3hr with Kieran because I failed the 1hr so baddly(my office says nothing over 130 I was round 150 and knew I had it).

That being said lots of people fail the 1hr but pass the 3hr because it comes down to eating. With the 1hr usually people dont need to/have to fast before taking it so there is some food left in the system(my office makes you wait 2hrs after eating before taking the 1hr to try to avoid that as much as possible) The 3hr you usually have to fast for 12hrs so your system is "fresh" and "clear" and it will just be the glucose drink in there. I wont lie with me it was horrible taking the 3hr I felt like I was going to puke and pass out, not able to drink or eat for 12hrs prior plus the 3hrs for the testing.

If you do have GD they will usually start you watching your diet, i.e. your carb intake, each endo/dietician has slightly different requirements for how much you can take in but mine were 15-30carbs for breakfast
15snack
60 lunch
15 snack
60 dinner
15 snack.

If that doesn't work then thats usually when they talk about insulin injections or the new pill glybruide(which is contravirsal) but I've had both and they both worked for me to keep my numbers under controll. Speaking of numbers if you have GD you would be checking at least 4x's a day, fasting in the morning, 1-2hrs after breakfast(depends on our Doc when you test 1-2hrs after), 1-2hrs after lunch and 1-2hrs after dinner.

Good luck!

July 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your response Justine and all the information, knowledge is always helpful , I am worried about getting it, they already took away all my salt because of high bp, I fasted for the one hour, mostly because they were also checking my thyroid that day also, but know this will of course be quite a bit more miserable, I am going to take it thursday and hope they get the results pretty quickly, I think the not knowing is just so stressful.

July 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran
It (GD) is not that bad and you can always get support from the gestational diabetes board here! Do start on the food plan right away regardless as it will help in many other areas (weight gain, blood pressure, prevention of diabetes if you are borderline).
July 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have GD and I posted to your thread on Dec DDC but not sure if you read it or not....

Cheer up... it's not that bad...
July 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I failed my 1 hour test but then passed my 3 hour test.

July 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Justjeni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Vicki try not to stress b/c that won't help your blood pressure! Hope things workout and you pass the three hour test. If not they will give you guidelines on what to do from there. Stay strong mama!
July 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know very little about GD but I wanted to wish you luck on your 3 hour! Normal/lower insulin level dust!

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
July 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks ladies, I went today and took the test, it was so miserable, and I kept feeling like i would not keep it down...ick, and because my blood veins are so stubborn I ended up being stuck 6 times instead of four, and the last time they took blood they took it directly from my wrist and blew the vein bad, so now I have a huge/blue painful knot.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the outcome is good, and that they will know tomorrow.

July 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I failed both! my one hour was 176, i puked my 3 hr.. I hated the diet but it wasnt all that bad.. Now i need to loose weight cuz i dont want type 2
July 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
6 sticks....ugh. Glad that you got through it though.

July 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsketch View Post
I failed my 1 hour test but then passed my 3 hour test.

July 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I had GD with my first pregnancy and I'm dealing with it with my second.. I have many risk factors for it.. I'm Asian, family history of type 2 diabetes, over the age of 25, and I'm on the "fluffy" side.. lol I'm kinda doomed for it..

But GD is vary manageable.. With my first pregnancy, I failed my 1 hour test.. I honestly can't remember my numbers, but when I did the 3 hour test.. I did pass, but I was borderline so my OB Dr. treated me as if I had GD.. And he was right, I did have it in the end and was a on a high dose of insulin to control my fasting blood sugars.. But my daughter was born small and perfectly healthy and she's still a petite little girl to this day.. So, just because you have GD, doesn't mean your doomed to have a huge kid..

With my second pregnancy, I didn't do any sugar tests, just a A1c blood test.. I started monitoring my sugars on my own when I found out I was pregnant.. I wanted to catch the diabetes before it started.. I don't like to "wait" for a test.. lol Since the first trimester is the MOST important time to control blood sugars.. I didn't want to wait until I was in the 2nd trimester.

Do you take fish oil supplements? I take Nordic Ulitimate Fish oil and this brand has done wonders for my blood sugars. Since I switched to this brand, I haven't had to up my insulin dose for a month now.. I was on another name brand fish oil, but I didn't get the same results.. I highly suggest you look into this since you have high blood pressure too..

Here's a few sites you should check out..

Pregnancy Nutrition: Omega 3 Rich Foods

Here's the fish oil I take.. It's a little expensive.. You can get it at Super Supplements for $40 for a 2 months supply.. I take once capsule twice a day..

Product Details

As for a special diet.. As of now, I don't really follow the "carb" diet.. Since I've been watching my sugars since day one.. I know what I can eat and what not to eat.. Small portions is the key and I always have a side of salad.. I avoid foods like white bread/regular pasta, potatoes, or any kind of breaded foods like chicken sandwiches.. Whole grains and wheat are my friends.. lol

I'm about to try New Chapter prenatal vitamin which has probotics in it.. I've read online that probotics can help maintain good blood glucose levels.. I guess I'll find if it works for me once I take it..

Here's the site if your interested.. I think this will be expensive too.. That's the price we pay to get the best..

New Chapter Structure Functions

Sorry if this is long and this is more then what you asked for.. I just hope this helps you out if by chance you do not pass the 3 hour test.. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 9th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
July 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
I had GD with my first pregnancy and I'm dealing with it with my second.. I have many risk factors for it.. I'm Asian, family history of type 2 diabetes, over the age of 25, and I'm on the "fluffy" side.. lol I'm kinda doomed for it..

But GD is vary manageable.. With my first pregnancy, I failed my 1 hour test.. I honestly can't remember my numbers, but when I did the 3 hour test.. I did pass, but I was borderline so my OB Dr. treated me as if I had GD.. And he was right, I did have it in the end and was a on a high dose of insulin to control my fasting blood sugars.. But my daughter was born small and perfectly healthy and she's still a petite little girl to this day.. So, just because you have GD, doesn't mean your doomed to have a huge kid..

With my second pregnancy, I didn't do any sugar tests, just a A1c blood test.. I started monitoring my sugars on my own when I found out I was pregnant.. I wanted to catch the diabetes before it started.. I don't like to "wait" for a test.. lol Since the first trimester is the MOST important time to control blood sugars.. I didn't want to wait until I was in the 2nd trimester.

Do you take fish oil supplements? I take Nordic Ulitimate Fish oil and this brand has done wonders for my blood sugars. Since I switched to this brand, I haven't had to up my insulin dose for a month now.. I was on another name brand fish oil, but I didn't get the same results.. I highly suggest you look into this since you have high blood pressure too..

Here's a few sites you should check out..

Pregnancy Nutrition: Omega 3 Rich Foods

Here's the fish oil I take.. It's a little expensive.. You can get it at Super Supplements for $40 for a 2 months supply.. I take once capsule twice a day..

Product Details

As for a special diet.. As of now, I don't really follow the "carb" diet.. Since I've been watching my sugars since day one.. I know what I can eat and what not to eat.. Small portions is the key and I always have a side of salad.. I avoid foods like white bread/regular pasta, potatoes, or any kind of breaded foods like chicken sandwiches.. Whole grains and wheat are my friends.. lol

I'm about to try New Chapter prenatal vitamin which has probotics in it.. I've read online that probotics can help maintain good blood glucose levels.. I guess I'll find if it works for me once I take it..

Here's the site if your interested.. I think this will be expensive too.. That's the price we pay to get the best..

New Chapter Structure Functions

Sorry if this is long and this is more then what you asked for.. I just hope this helps you out if by chance you do not pass the 3 hour test.. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me..
wow thanks for all this information, I will have to check out these sites also, anything that will help would be great right now, I also have a huge risk for diabetes, my mom and grandma have type two diabetes, I am overweight, have pcos, and of course the high bp increases my odds, but hopefully I will find out today!
I have already cut way back on carb portion sizes and trying to mostly drink just plain water.

Thanks girls for the support, I don't mean to be so whiny right now, just stressed

July 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
amholb0's Avatar Mrs.Fitz
I hope it all works out, I'm stressed about the GD also. I took the test at my screening appt and I find out the results tomorrow.
July 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Well I went back today and got the results, one the one hour mark and the two hour mark It was high, at the three hour mark it was right above where it should be, so my Doctor said that I am basically borderline for gestational diabetes, and gave me the rx for the wonderful blood gloucose testing machine, and plenty of directions on testing and how often to test and a log book to keep track of all the numbers.
I also had to see the dietician again, luckily it's the same one I was already seeing for the high blood pressure and she gave me a bunch of pamplets on what I should be eating and what I should stay away from.
My blood pressure is still high, it was 136/90 so even with the high dose of bp meds it is still pretty high, and I had gained three pounds which the doctor seems to think is mostly fluid, since I have allot swelling, so I am to sit with my legs and arms a above heart level several times a day for at lest 30 minutes each time, and I also had a bit more protein in my urine this time so he said we will have to watch that pretty close. I also have to have the gd test again in another month or so to make sure things don't get worse...yay

July 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Aww. Sorry things are going so rough. hopefully it won't be too terrible though. And just think, when it's all said and done you'll have your beautiful baby boy.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search