Intro and question

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Hi ladies! I've been lurking this forum on and off for a while but decided to go ahead and join you all. I'm Bam and am expecting our first this fall. I usually hang out on the PCOS board or Pagan/Wiccan board.

Here's my question... Where in the world can I find decent, rock/punk-style clothes in PLUS PLUS sizes? And I don't mean Ross or Old Navy's idea of plus... They go up to like 24 or 28, at the absolute most... I'm currently a 34 and steadily getting bigger. I've looked at Lane Bryant and Catherine's but they don't have styles that I like. And the styles that I like, I can't find in my size.

Lane Bryant doesn't quite go to my size, anyway. Catherine's does but they don't carry anything in that size that I would wear. Is there any hope for me or am I stuck in sweats and over-sized t-shirts?

July 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
Hey and welcome! I am one of the co hosts here, I'm Christina mom to 6 month old Elizabeth!

As your for question the only store I can think of is Torrid but i dont know What sizes they go up too, jc pennys as plus size.
July 9th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Torrid only goes up to a 28 *sometimes*. And right now, they don't have anything in even that size... I think the biggest they have right now is 20/22. That was one of the first places I checked. JCPenney only goes up to 24.

Thanks for the welcome, though.

July 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome and congrats on your pregnancy! As far as punkish clothes, I would be no help there. I can't wait to get to know you though

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks. We've got a couple more stores we're going to look at (Fashion Bug and Cato Plus) but I've pretty much resolved to making my own clothes. No biggie. Gives me a reason to learn how to sew full outfits.

July 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Hey Bammers. I know you from the PCOS board. this is where I spend most of my time. haha

Uhm.... I have no clue. I like the same type of clothes but have pretty much fallen into just t-shirt and jeans and for work I wear business casual. I haven't the slightest idea of where I'll go once I get pregnant.

For my plus sized clothes I usually go to Fashion Bug or Wal-Mart. I have on occasion shopped at Cato but the Cato in town isn't in a convenient area for me. So I usually don't bother.

Good luck to you!!!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
July 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hey you!

Our Wal-Marts (all 3 of them) are made of suck and fail. I haven't been able to buy clothes from them in about 3 years. Luckily, Cato and Fashion Bug are easily accessible. I'll be heading over to my mom's tomorrow for a big sew-fest and we might hit the stores then. Thank goodness I don't work or else I'd be going mad looking for something to wear. >.<

At the moment I just spend most of my time in the house in pajama bottoms and t-shirts or jerseys. When we have to go out for appointments, I change into sweatpants or jogging shorts with a sarong wrapped around me... unfortunately, the sarong is almost not tie-able. I saw some fabric at Hancock's that I think would make good sarongs so I might go get that and make some more, bigger ones.

July 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome!

July 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Hi and welcome, as far as clothes, I shop on ebay allot, they have pretty much all sizes and styles, i get allot of clothes from avenue and stuff there.
I look forward to getting to know you, and congrats on the pregnancy and having a girl

July 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and Welcome!!!!
July 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks, ladies.

My problem with buying anything online is that I can't look at it and try it on. It may look great on models online but once I get it on, it looks like crap. This is a common problem with me. I have a distorted self-image but not like most people do. Most people with this problem think they are larger than they actually are... I think I'm thinner... like, a LOT thinner. As a result, I often buy clothes that are wrong for my body shape or are way too small. Then I'm stuck returning and exchanging. It's just too difficult to deal with that when buying online... ESPECIALLY from eBay.

In other words, online buying isn't an option for me. But thanks for the tip, anyhow! It is appreciated.

We found some great material at Hancock's that is stretchy at one end and just flows at the other.... Like this! But in different prints... Anyway, we're making a few sundresses out of it. We've got one finished and ohmygosh it's comfy!

July 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
That fabric/top looks cool!

And I have the same problem with sizes/clothes. I don't like to buy clothes online either.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
July 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure how far you are from Memphis but there use to be this shop there that sold not only plus size punk/goth/emo/rock style clothes but they even had preggo clothes. Let me look around and talk to my mom and see if she remembers the name of it. They may have a store closer to you, because I know they had a slight chain in TN. One in Chattanooga one in Nashville and one up in the NW of TN. Just remind me haha. I am sure someone will.

Thank you Claire1979!
July 13th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Memphis is WAY too far from me. Like 4 hours, I think. If you think of the name, I'm sure I can do a search and find something.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search