Went Maternity Clothes Shopping Yesterday.

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
Went to Sears and Target looking for some clothes. Before pregnancy I was a 20 in both tops and pants and weighed about 235. Now I weigh about 255 (according to the doctor scale, I think my home scale weighs light. So, I honestly don't know how much weight I have gained).

Anyway, target has maternity clothes up to 2X, but they didn't fit in my arms or belly. Sears has some 3X stuff, but it just didn't feel right.

WalMart has nothing.

My plus-size friend that is also pregnant says she orders off of lanebryant.com and jcpenny.com. They don't have much selection in their stores,but great stuff online.

I just want some cute maternity stuff. I'm still wearing my pre-pregnancy shirts a lot because they are big enough, and I haven't really gotten much of a belly yet. I ended up going to Kohl's and just buying some Women's size tops that looked like maternity clothes.

Anyone else having this problem? *sigh*

March 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to svantassell
I'm 36 weeks and still wearing most of my prepregnancy clothes too. Definately look at pennys online they just got their summer stuff in. You may want to order stuff in a couple of sizes because clothing is clothing and doesn't fit all the same. And definately look at Motherhood I've found some stuff there that I LOVE! Some of the stores carry plus sizes and they have it all online too. Hope that helps.
March 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had the same problem when i was preggo. i couldn't where target stuff, even though the size said 20, it was just way too small. i had the best luck at motherhood maternity in the plus size department. they have super cute stuff and go up to really big sizes (can be a little pricey, i always shopped off the clearance rack)
here is a link to their website. it will have a store locator on there so you can see if you have one near you. definately checkout the markdown section, and also the size chart so you can get the exact size you need!
http://www.motherhood.com/plushome.asp?web...erCategory_Id=7
March 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I completely understand. Iwent to Motherhood last week, and I'm a 20/22 depending on the clothes and their 2x was too small in the arms. So I had to buy 3x size, which just made me feel lousy about myself.

Note to clothing designers. Fat women have sex and get pregnant ttoo!

March 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
mrobinson
Hey girls.. I'm a 1x on top and a size 18 on the bottom and not yet pregnant... I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreicate reading these types of threads because I know that's me too.
March 21st, 2006, 01:18 AM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Lindsey608
I just went shopping for some maternity clothes yesterday too. So far I've only ordered a few things from Old Navy online. Now I'm waiting for them to get in more summer clothes before placing another order!

Being in Germany it's been hard for me to shop for mat. clothes. They cut everything small here and I just don't know the stores very well, you know? So it's hit or miss to find out even which department stores carry maternity items! I finally found one store that had tops up to XL and tried on a bunch. Most were too snug in the arms and around my butt but I found a couple that fit (for now). I have no idea what I'm going to wear when I get really big!!

March 21st, 2006, 07:18 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I just saw there is a Motherhood Maternity Outlet not too far from me. I'll definately check that out this weekend. Hopefully I can catch some deals.

Thanks for responding to my post. I was pretty down on Sunday and just needed to know that I'm not the only one having this problem!

March 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Veteran
Hi there - I around 244 right now and creeping up on 17 weeks pregg-o. I have found a few good items on ebay.com. Very clean and in wonderful condition. When I was pregnant with my first child 10 years ago Target and Sears had a wonderful selection - but they have el-zippo now. Can't find anything good to wear.

Good Luck to you!

March 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM
juliemango's Avatar Member
Have you heard of Fashion Bug? Apparently they have some lovely stuff.
April 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM
carlyhan's Avatar Member
Ebay, ebay, ebay! It's been a godsend. I was a size 18 pre-preg. I'm wearing size 20 maternity pants from Gap, XXL shirts from Target and Old Navy, and I've found a couple of really cute things from JcPenney. I have the added problem of being 6'0" tall, but ebay has really helped. Just search "maternity plus size" and you'll find some cute things.

Mommy to Robert Thomas and Russell John, born May 4, 2006 at 28 weeks 2 days.
April 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
If I were you, I would see if you have a Fashion Bug Plus in your area. That is where I get all of my maternity stuff (and some of their non-maternity stuff looks maternity).

I also had bad luck at Target, Motherhood, Lane Bryant (store), and Dillards. I did see plus sized maternity for Motherhood and Lane Bryant online, but I wanted to try on my clothes before buying them. Fashion Bug is great! I think their smallest size regularly is 14/16 and they go up to something like 32/34 US measurements.

At 24 weeks, I am in a 2X at Fashion Bug Plus maternity section! And they are still slightly big - room to grow in the next 16 weeks!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search