GD Testing....

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue à Canada
So my GD testing is coming up soon....in about 3 weeks and I'm feeling slightly on the apprehensive side...however I just know that if it comes back positive I can manage. How many of you have had the GD test in the past and passed or failed? How were you able to manage if you failed? What kind of plans did the doctor put in place for you?

Melissa

March 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
I'm also concerned about this. I weigh over 250, and don't know what the implications are with GD. I know you have to go on a more restrictive diet, and they monitor you more, but I don't think it is a big change - except food-wise.

March 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i passed it both times (both times weighing in between 200 - 240)
a lady i worked with failed it, but her family has a history of diabetes anyway. when you fail it, they call you back in to do another more detailed test. if you pass that, you're good and don't have to mess with anything, but if you fail it you will be put on a healthier diet and may have to check your blood sugar at various times during the day (that is what the lady i worked with had to do) she said she really didn't mind and it wasnt that hard to keep up with. she had GD with both of her children, so when she got PG with the 2nd, she just automatically started doing the things anyway so she wasnt shocked when she failed the test.
March 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I currently have GD (Pre preg weight 230, currently 244). I was diagnosed at 24wks. I also have a family history of diabetes and have had some odd blood sugar issues in the past, so it wasn't a big shock. I was sent to see a diabetic nurse and a dietician to get on a "gd diet" and learn how to test my blood sugar. I test 4 times a day, once right when I get up in the morning, and one hour after each meal. I actually lost weight the first couple weeks on the diet, so they had me increase my protein intake. I've gained maybe 7lbs in the last 14 weeks, and I'm supposed to be gaining ~1/2lb per week, so that's good. Last week the baby was measureing right on for 37 weeks. I've been completely diet managed, and have been doing very well that way. Because my GD has been managed well with diet alone, they're treating me like a "normal" pregnancy. No extra tests, no extra ultrasounds, no extra visits. They won't induce unless I go overdue, which they would do at 41-42wks anyway. They see no reason at this pt that I would need a c-section. It was hard at first, getting used to the diet and all, and sometimes I get sick of it, but it's going really well.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search