First sonogram, will being overweight change anything?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM
wwwdotdawn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
just wondering if having a lot of chub around the middle will make the results difficult. And honestly embarassing. I asked my husband not to go to the first doc visit because I am scared of this. Any thoughts?

April 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Kenzee_n_brents_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Kenzee_n_brents_mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Kenzee_n_brents_mommy
it doesn't make a difference. you can see just as good as when they are checking out a "skinny minny". they just may have to press a little harder when trying to see your peanut but that should be it.
April 13th, 2006, 07:23 AM
cinfy's Avatar Cool Chick
My doctor had to press a little harder to see everything she wanted to see. Also, when they use the doppler - early in my pregnancy- it was harder to hear the heartbeat because of my extra weight.

But, it was not a problem at all to see everything they wanted to see. You will be fine. Don't be embarrassed to have your husband come along with you. My husband was able to make it to all my early appointments and it was great having him there.

Thanks Typical Heroine!!

April 13th, 2006, 09:10 AM
406kurby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had my first u/s I was 6 wks, 1 day and the tech couldn't get a clear enough picture, so she did a vaginal u/s. It doesn't hurt or anything and you thinkt it's going to be way uncomfortable ( it is, a little) but once you see your little bean on the screen, you forget how they're getting the picture on there! Good luck to you at your 1st appt!!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart
April 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue Canada
Most early ultrasounds are done transvaginally...and then at around 13 weeks they start becoming abominal...at least that has been my experience with this pregnancy....

Melissa

April 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
I am pretty hefty and the only thing they had to do different is they had to press a little harder to get a good pic...
April 14th, 2006, 09:43 AM
ok thanks for all the great info. I don't want to be weighed in front of my husband it's embarassing. I know that sounds so vain. So I kinda want to go to the first appointment alone to see how they do everything.

April 14th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Veteran
When I got my u/s done with my first pg - I was only 12 1/2 weeks along - the u/s tech said it was more difficult to see/read when the patient is heavier (I wasn't)...but perhaps that is a reflection of the technician and their experience?

As for the weight thing - my doctor's office has a note in the file NOT to weigh me

I weigh myself every other morning at my house - same scale, same outfit, same time of day

that way there aren't any fluctuations -

then I tell them the weight ...
April 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Quote:
When I got my u/s done with my first pg - I was only 12 1/2 weeks along - the u/s tech said it was more difficult to see/read when the patient is heavier (I wasn't)...but perhaps that is a reflection of the technician and their experience?

As for the weight thing - my doctor's office has a note in the file NOT to weigh me

I weigh myself every other morning at my house - same scale, same outfit, same time of day

that way there aren't any fluctuations -

then I tell them the weight ...[/b]
really you can do that? I would love that

April 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
really you can do that? I would love that
[/b]
Remember - YOU are in charge of your health, not them

I got into it with a nurse a couple of times - the doctor said, "I need to know the weight of the baby to see how healthy..."

I replied, "I provide you with the weight every single time I'm here..."

I explained that depending what time of day I went in, what I was wearing, what I had or had not eaten, I would get a different weight, which means there would be little accuracy to it.

However, because I weigh myself at the same time, wearing the same thing, and on the same scale, I have consistency that shows true weight gain...

He told the nurses to lay off

after all - they couldn't FORCE me on the scale

I simply said, "No."

when she argued I yelled in her face "NO!"

My husband was standing right there -

what were they going to do, pull out a knife and force me?

heh heh

I also refused the gtt -

I remember the flabotamist saying, "I've never heard of anyone being able to refuse this..."

I said, "I'M in charge of my health and what tests I get and don't get - not the doctor or nurse..."

my point was and I explained to my doctor

every time I go in they test my urine for excess sugar and protein

it was always normal

so why take a blood test that will only suggest what my risk is? That would only tell me how likely I was to develop a problem? that is so stupid...

I said, "If I come in here and one of those test strips shows high sugar, THEN I'll go get a blood test - but not unless..."

I don't let (and never have) doctors push me around - I am in charge of my health - and I'm METICULOUS about it - and he knows that

his nurse didn't like it - but too bad...
April 16th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to FriendAim Send a message via Yahoo to FriendAim
Dawnn, I understand you are embarassed, I was too, but my husband came to all but one of my appointments and that one just happened to be the one when I got to hear her heartbeat for the first time. He was so disappointed that he didn't get to hear it with me and I felt so bad that I didn't care about the other stuff. Daddys have it bad because they don't get to experience all of the stuff we do. To them it is really abstract until they can actually feel the baby kick. Letting my husband in on everything really helped him get involved. Plus pregnancy brain is no good for listening to your doctor. It's nice to have an extra set of ears. Maybe you could ask him to come and he could wait outside the door until after the exam part is over. Just a thought. I bet he would appreciate you wanting him to be there.

PS I assume he's seen you naked before or else you wouldn't be in this predicament-lol!
Joseph David arrived 2/4/10

April 18th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Dawnn, I understand you are embarassed, I was too, but my husband came to all but one of my appointments and that one just happened to be the one when I got to hear her heartbeat for the first time. He was so disappointed that he didn't get to hear it with me and I felt so bad that I didn't care about the other stuff. Daddys have it bad because they don't get to experience all of the stuff we do. To them it is really abstract until they can actually feel the baby kick. Letting my husband in on everything really helped him get involved. Plus pregnancy brain is no good for listening to your doctor. It's nice to have an extra set of ears. Maybe you could ask him to come and he could wait outside the door until after the exam part is over. Just a thought. I bet he would appreciate you wanting him to be there.

PS I assume he's seen you naked before or else you wouldn't be in this predicament-lol![/b]

true LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search