Do you think you're an emotional eater?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately and I have decided I am DEFINITELY an emotional eater.

I used to be SO thin
Here is a pic of me Christmas 2004 - my mom's last Christmas. I'm in the hot pink holding the white dog. I was 17

Those jeans are a size 4!

I wear like a size 16 now. I gained 100lbs after my mom died. I was 122 pounds on the day of my high school graduation (May 2005)...I weigh 222 now. It has been pretty steady for the last 3 years or so.

Sam and I have been having some rough patches in our marriage the past 8 months or so (Yes, ever since Brylie was born) and I do know that I was/probably still am dealing with post partum depression, but I DONT want to go back on anti depressants. They shoved them down my throat after my mom died and they made me feel awful.

So I have been doing a lot of soul searching, and yesterday Sam and I got into a big fight and the first thing I did was go to the kitchen pantry. Granted, I hadn't eaten yet for the day (it was about 11am) but it made me realize that's where I ALWAYS go when I'm upset. Even if I don't eat anything, I go and look to see what we have.

I also always want to go OUT to eat if we have had a stressful day here at home, which is so unhealthy.

So I have diagnosed myself as an emotional eater. I think I probably need therapy, but can't get it with Brylie. (I have no one to leave her with, and I don't think it would be appropriate to take her??)

So, do you think you are an emotional eater?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
Yes definitely

April 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not me. When I am stressed or upset, I don't eat at all. I am fat because I make really poor food choices.

I would say go ahead and take Brylie to counseling with you. It sounds like you really think you need it. It would be better to take her and have her be a bit of a distraction than not go and keep feeling the way you are.

Major
April 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I am!!
April 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
don't think so - i know so!

April 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I actually don't want to eat when I'm upset. I eat because I'm hungry but then I end up eating too much of the wrong things. Just poor choices for me.

I bet it would be okay to take Brylie with you.
April 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
*Stephanie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Stephanie*
I am, definitely.

April 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I'd say I am. Even though I always say to myself "I'm not going to eat this time" or something like that, I always do.

I also don't have very good self control when it comes to eating. I eat for the flavor/feel of eating rather than just purely for hunger's sake.

I agree with the others. I'm sure you could take Brylie with you. Or, there may even be some sort of therapy place that has a childcare that could watch her just for the hour or however long your session is.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 5th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm definitley an emotional eater too...and my worst problem with weight has been since my dad died in 93. Seriously made the best progress in the right direction with my weight right before I got pregnant and even then, stress was working against me and I had plateaued again.

Therapy helped me recentre long enough to get going on the new lifestyle last time, and I've been off the antidepressants since pregnancy began - but I can tell you that the way I've been struggling, I will probably be going back on them when I'm through baking this little girl. I will probably also be going back to therapy - my triggers are all coming back. It's worth it if you can afford it, and remember that by taking Brylie with you, you're showing her that it's healthy to talk about your problems, and it's healthiest to deal with them in a controlled setting.

Best of luck!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

April 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
crazichickey's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to crazichickey
I don't want to eat when I am upset.

I know alot of people want to use the excuse, but I think mine is genetic. I also make bad food options, but I lost 40 lbs before getting pregnant and would eat the same foods just less and at 5 meals a day. But I have been a bigger girl since 5th grade.

April 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Oh, and i'm also a boredom eater. I eat when I'm bored. Like right now... I'm not hungry in the least, but I'm thinking "Maybe I should go get something to eat before going to work." or "Maybe I should leave a little early for work and I could drive through somewhere."

I just made myself a wonderful breakfast burrito type thing with egg, raw spinach and some bacon bits and ranch dressing. I'm not hungry and won't be hungry for a while. But this later shift makes me want to do something like that.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to Emily_G
I used to be a very bad emotional eater, I think I am better now because my emotions are more stable

I think I have an eating disorder though, or I used to. Sneaking food and hiding whenever I would eat something "bad". I don't do this anymore because I know my DH doesn't judge me, but when I was younger....oh man, I did this a ton.
April 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that I am more of a food addict. I just love food. When I am upset I do not feel like eating. I make lots of poor food choices and I rarely know when to stop.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search