how big is to big when trying for a baby

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
how big is to big when trying for a baby. i know i have no probs conceiving, but what weight size is to big, im about 126kg. and really want a 2nd baby, i was allot smaller with my first, around 10 or more sizes smaller,. now worried im to big, i had PE last time around. will docs tell me i to fat even thou i am very active and eat healthy,. and have good blood tests saying im healthy. ? is it all about the weight or health on inside.
April 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
with my last baby I was that big, I was around 300lb when I got pregnant with him, I had allot of problems during the pregnancy that the doctor of course said was because of my weight, but I was also that size with my first baby as well so I felt like it was not my weight in the end that caused all the issues, had high blood pressure from about 13 weeks on and also had low fluid amounts around the baby and ended up being induced for that and for my bp. Honestly I would find a doc that is not judgemental and ask them. Hope this helps (((hugs))) I know how you feel, I finally decided to ttc the size I was because I knew if I waited to lose the weight it might never happen for us

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my Awesome Sciencey Siggy
April 10th, 2010, 07:21 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a general rule your chances of health problems or complications during pregnancy go down the closer you are to a healthy weight. However there are plenty of overweight and obese women who have very healthy normal pregnancies. If you have any preexisting conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) then losing weight would probably help get those under control and help you have a healthier pregnancy. I have also heard of some women being automatically considered high risk because of their weight, even if they have no other problems, so that's another thing to consider. Plus, if you have irregular cycles weight loss can help make them more normal and make it easier to conceive. And you would probably have a much more comfortable pregnancy as well with less weight to carry around.

That's what happened in my case. I was 305 pounds and had high blood pressure but in about 11 months I managed to lose 120 pounds and control my high blood pressure. For me, the fear of developing pre-E (or other problems) during pregnancy was actually one of the major motivations for me to lose weight. We got pregnant the first cycle we tried. When I got pregnant I was exactly borderline overweight/obese and I was able to come off my blood pressure meds (I think the less meds you have to take while pregnant the better.) My doctor and nurses couldn't stop talking about my weight loss at my first appointment. I never got any negative treatment or wasn't automatically considered high risk just because I am obese and nobody has even said anything about my weight gain yet (almost 35 pounds, yikes!) And I have had a very easy and comfortable pregnancy so far with no health problems to speak of yet (let's hope it stays that way!)

You know your situation and your health best and it really is a very personal decision. There ARE plenty of good reasons to try to lose weight first, for you and your baby, but I know it can take some time for people to conceive even with normal fertility and you just have to decide what's best for you. Since you are very active and eat healthy and in general good health then it sounds like you are already on the right track! I think having healthy habits are generally more important than the number on the scale.

April 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to *Manda* Send a message via MSN to *Manda* Send a message via Yahoo to *Manda*
What an amazing thread for me to stumble on. I have recently reached about 275 and Im worried. I have irregular periods(not sure if its BCP or weight) and Im fixing to go to the doctor about it. I really wanted to lose weight first but wasnt ever sure if that was the right thing. So I went ahead with TTC and we'll see what happens.
At least Im not alone...
April 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
thanks heaps for replays, yes i think before i tell doc i had Pre-eclampsia with first pregnancy will ask them about my weight and if they think im to big etc.
ive had some doctors tell me i should try asap as less chance of PE if u get pregnant again near the last, but its not been almost 7 years.
daughter would love a sister or brother. breaks my heart cause she gets so bored being only child, no matter how many toys she has, its still not same as having a brother or sister.

i am not on any medication, have good blood pressure, and far from diabetic. no health problems.

just with last pregnancy i did get sick, was around i think 22 weeks i started feeling odd, but did not get it seen to till around 28 weeks.

i wont have probs conceiving, i am sure of that have good cycle ,and such. just scared with the last pregnancy with Pre-eclampsia and now being more overweight.

along with family at me telling me im selfish and i will die leaving my daughter with out a mum etc. its been hard listening to them for years telling me stuff of what will happen, even thou i want another more than anything its very hard just getting over the total lack or support from mum and sisters,.
April 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
*Stephanie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Stephanie*
I was 311lbs when I had Kaitlyn. I was 280 when I got pregnant with her. I also have PCOS, so I beat the odds regardless. I didn't have any problems with the pregnancy do to my weight. No high BP, no diabetes, nothing. I'm trying to lose some more weight before we have another one but I am stuck at about 305 right now. My ob didn't give me any "fat talks" as I call em lol, she was nice and said weight has nothing to do with having a healthy baby. Which is a lot different with what most doctors tell you. Of course when you are overweight that is the primary focus with some doctors, of couse every problem is because you're fat. Anyways, nope I didn't have any problems at all!

April 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
My my first, I was what I weigh now and I lost 20 lbs between the BFP and 20 weeks. After that I gained back what I lost plus 4 lbs. My doctor was perfectly happy with that although he didn't stress about my weight or anything.

Now that I am pregnant again I am going to try to exercise as much as I can (mostly walking) and eat healthy and hope I can do the same. My weight loss before was because of nausea and food aversions (to almost everything) so we will see what happens.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I was... 118kg when I got pregnant with Emersyn - then went on to lose 9kg, through lack of appetite & morning sickness... it was only at my 28w appt, I had put any weight on (2kg).

I don't know if I've just been lucky or what, but i haven't (touch wood) had any of the 'usual' plus size pregnancy problems (high BP etc etc).. Other than my weight I seem to be pretty healthy, so part of it MAY be to do with your general health, and not just your weight....

April 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I got pregnant at 240 lbs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search