Obese and maybe pregnant?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Nikki18TTC's Avatar :) TTC!
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki18TTC Send a message via Skype™ to Nikki18TTC
Okay, so I've been obese all my life. I'm probably what they consider "Morbidly Obese" right now. I'm well over 40 BMI. I was reading online that pregnant women that are over 40 BMI are encouraged to lose weight during pregnancy? Is that true?...I'm also very scared that it will cause health risks for the baby if I am pregnant. This is will be my first child, & before I suspected I was pregnant, I was working on losing weight. I was 400lbs & I'm now down to 368lbs. I actually think that might be how I got pregnant(Update:thought I got pregnant). With my weight I had an irregular cycle, I was pregnant once before and miscarried. Now that I've lost weight, My periods have been slowly and gradually getting somewhat normal. Kudos for that right? I'm just scared is all. I don't want to have to have a cesarean & I don't want anything to happen to the baby such as birth defects,Miscarriages, it dying after birth , or anything. Any help or suggestions would be great!!

Last edited by Nikki18TTC; March 25th, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
March 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
unaspenser's Avatar Member
I have heard that obese women are encouraged to try to lose during pregnancy. I had a friend who had a baby recently and her doctor just told her to try not to gain during pregnancy rather than focusing on trying to lose. It sounds like the best thing is to focus on eating healthy and getting some gentle exercise rather than worrying about weight might be the best approach (that said, I'm not a doctor). I use sparkpeople.com to track my food and exercise, there is a whole section of the site for pregnant moms.

ETA: Here's the website: Pregnancy Nutrition & Pregnancy Exercises at BabyFit.com
April 2nd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I have been overweight most of my life an have 3 kids. I gained the least amount of weight with my oldest. With my 2nd one I gained probably 40 pounds, then lost most of that before I got pregnant with my 3rd, then with my 3rd I also gained about 40 pounds, I lost about 25 then moved to another state an a much higher elavation an now have gained back probably 20 pounds of that. I just had a chemical pregnancy the beginning of march an I was worried about gaining weight also. I also have diabetes which seems over the years to make it almost impossible to lose weight, I also take lots of insulin daily to keep my blood sugars fairly normal. Just here to offer my support

May 5th, 2012, 04:09 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard lose before but not during. But I'm morbidly obese and have 3 kids.

Thank you Claire1979!
May 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I was overweight with both of my pregnancies and was not encouraged to lose weight during pregnancy but was encouraged to gain as little as possible and told that if i lost while pregnant that was fine, I had some pregnancy complications but while i suspect they were weight related they may have also been just genetic (high blood pressure/pre e) but both of my boys are quite healthy and happy lil ones good luck with your weight loss

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search