Preventing Children From Being Overweight/Obese

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I read a stat that a child who has an overweight parent has a 3x more likely chance to be overweight.

Both parents overweight? Make that 10X!

What are you planning to do to keep your children healthy? Where do your kids fall at the moment? (percentile)

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is something I really struggle with. I want to keep them healthy, but I don't want to deprive them of things either.
Both of my kids fall near the 50th percentile for their ages. I offer them healthy food and snacks and my toddler gets lots of "excercise" running around constantly!

October 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
This is something I really worry about too.

Avery is at about the 75th percentile and has been since birth. I hope to keep here there as she grows older.

DH thinks we need to keep her active in sports and put her into lots of stuff. Well, that didn't really help me.

I think a big thing is going to be teaching her to eat properly, and asking "are you still hungry" at the dinner table instead of "are you full?"

Also, modelling behaviour! I really want us to be a family that goes on bike rides and to throw the ball around, etc. Hopefully all of those things combined ensure our children grow up healthy and without the weight problems I grew up with. Thankfully DH was not overweight growing up so here is hoping they get his genetics.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
My kids play outside. My kids are 5yo and 2yo. I don't restrict their food or drinks.

Ryan weighs 46 pounds and is 44 inches tall. He has gained 4 pounds in 2 months due to his meds. He is 5yo.
At 5 years:

your child is 46 pounds, and that is
at the 81st percentile for weight.

your child is 44 inches, and that is
at the 71st percentile for height.

Liam is 29 pounds and 34 inches tall. He is 2yo.
At 24 months:

your child is 29 pounds, and that is
at the 62th percentile for weight.

your child is 34 inches, and that is
at the 35th percentile for height.

Leslie

October 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have kids yet, so it's really hard to say. I definitely want to make sure they find something active to do. DH and I are pretty sedentary so being more active is something we will need to work on. We are slowly working on becoming more low carb as finances allow so I'm hoping we will have achieved that by the time our potential little one is eating solids. My DH likes pretty much any vegie but my tastes are more limited so I am hoping our kids inherit DH's taste buds instead of mine.

Most of my family has been thin until puberty, the boys remaining a healthy weight until middle age while DH's family is more on the heavy side overall. If it is a boy I am hoping weight won't be a genetic problem but I know if it's a girl it is likely she will become overweight as a tween and that is just something we will have to live with.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 9th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My dd is around 15th percentile and has been there pretty much since birth! I try to offer her healthy snacks and foods but we do let her eat the same stuff we are (we are also trying to teach her that she doesnt get special meals and needs to learn to eat what we eat).

I am making sure she gets plenty of physical activity at home (but its been hard the last few weeks with my morning sickness in high gear).

I think the biggest thing for me, is letting her know that she is beautiful no matter how she looks. We will always make sure to tell her she is good enough for us! (I was always told I was not enough as a child, and food never judged me. So I attribute a lot of my eating to that.) We will also make sure she is always enrolled in a sport but one that she enjoys.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search