Is it irresponsible to get pregnant when you are overweight/obese?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By TreeTog
  • 1 Post By Vicki...
  • 1 Post By hkystar
  • 1 Post By stresswife
  • 1 Post By bluegrassgirl123
  • 2 Post By just_jenn
  • 1 Post By AshleeH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 06:58 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
What are your thoughts on this?

When I got pregnant at 255lbs, I was really made to feel like it was the wrong choice and I should have lost some weight first.

That is why I am so determined this time to be at a healthier weight.

Do you think it is irresonsible? How would you react if someone made you feel it was?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 6th, 2012, 08:31 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Extra weight does have it cons during pregnancy, but it is not the end all. I was 245pounds when I delivered my first and 295 pounds when I delivered my 2nd. My 2nd labor was longer and more nerve racking, but I attribute that to an induction done too early.

I was healthy during both pregnancies. My blood pressure was low and I had no issues with gestational diabeties. My kids were 7lbs 4ozs and 6lbs 7.5ozs at birth. I never had issues with ultrasounds.

I was induced with both pregnancies due to my blood pressure starting to rise higher than my norm around week 37. My OB likes to play it safe. I was 38 weeks when I delivered my first son and 37 weeks and 1 day when I delivered my second son.

If you wait until everything is right or perfect to get pregnant, you never will.

Leslie
yvee80 likes this.

October 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Being overweight can contribute to problems, believe me I know (pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, renal failure). I was 280 when I delivered my daughter and she had to be delivered 2 weeks early with a 37 hour labor to end in a c-section. My blood sugar was super high and meds weren't helping along with my kidneys beginning to fail so it was time. I was so miserable! I was put on bed rest almost right away in the pregnancy. My daughter was 7 lbs 11 oz at 38 weeks. She was a little jaundice but luckily her blood sugar was normal. While in labor I had to be given oxygen because I lost conscience and my daughters heartbeat was dropping fast. I ended up needing a blood transfusion after my c-section. Because of this reason I have been scared to have another baby and someone told me if I did it would be "selfish" of me because I could die. Well, I lost 100 lbs but am still overweight and I do want another one and have discussed it with my doctor and we know I would be going to the high risk center if it happens.

October 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Frozenoj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think so! Sure it may come with extra risks, but so do lots of other things. I wouldn't say it's irresponsible for someone with type 1 diabetes to get pregnant so why would it be for those overweight? I know in my case there is very little I can do to lose weight. I have PCOS which already makes it difficult plus I have chronic pain that is irritated by exercise. Am I just never supposed to have a child? I don't think so. Not if I can help it. If I am able to get pregnant and someone says something about it, I think I'd just tell them to shove it and blame my rudeness on pregnancy hormones lol.

Thanks Bokkechick for my wonderful siggy!
TTC Blog
10-21-12
October 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No. Now if you are so big that it will affect your ability to parent, that is one thing and a whole other bag of worms!

I have a slew of other issues that make my pregnancies high risk so my weight was never brought up. My docs never made my weight an issue. If someone else did I would inform them that my docs were fine with me getting pregnant and that I was being carefully monitored.

October 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenoj View Post
I don't think so! Sure it may come with extra risks, but so do lots of other things. I wouldn't say it's irresponsible for someone with type 1 diabetes to get pregnant so why would it be for those overweight? I know in my case there is very little I can do to lose weight. I have PCOS which already makes it difficult plus I have chronic pain that is irritated by exercise. Am I just never supposed to have a child? I don't think so. Not if I can help it. If I am able to get pregnant and someone says something about it, I think I'd just tell them to shove it and blame my rudeness on pregnancy hormones lol.
I have PCOS too so I feel your pain!

October 9th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
No i don't think so, i had a mostly healthy pregnancy first time around and i started the pregnancy at around 290 and the 2nd time around i had blood pressure problems, along with several other problems and started the pregnancy at around the same weight so in my opinion no not irresponsible at all
yvee80 likes this.

October 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok... I think the answer is no.

I think there are much worse things in terms of who is having kids. If you are providing them a loving home, then your size shouldnt matter!

I have big issues with women who cant afford to take care of their kids, having more kids!
JessiesGirl82 likes this.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

October 14th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Being overweight gave me no problems for my 1st pregnancy, I know average sized women who have a lot of problems with blood pressure ect, .
I would say anyone who told me I couldn't get pregnant because of my weight was an idiot, just because someone is thin doesn't make them a good parent.
yvee80 likes this.

November 12th, 2012, 12:43 AM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
This makes me nervous in trying to find a supportive obgyn. I gained some weight after my son, and now am almost back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 255! I know that is still high, but hey I was 320 a year ago. I want to lose more weight before getting pregnant, but know I will still be in the low 200's around the time I want to conceive. My last doc wasn't terrible about my weight, but only cause I had gestational and followed the diet pretty well. (I gained 15lbs total) At least this time I am insured and have more time and options to "shop around."
November 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I don't think it is irresponsible. People can be overweight for lots of different reasons. You could exercise constantly and eat right, and still be overweight. In fact, they had on a TV show one time a lady who weighed over 200 lbs that exercises everyday and is a vegetarian, and her doctors say she is very healthy despite be in the "obese" weight numbers.

I have trouble losing weight. The number practically stays the same on the scale, despite losing inches and stuff. My doctors have all told me its because I gain muscle mass easier than others, so that's why the number on the scale doesn't go down as fast as other women. Plus, if you are pear-shaped, its actually healthier, because most of your weight is in your hips, butt, and thighs.

I am 274 lbs right now and am waiting to see if i am pregnant (still have to wait 10 more days to test), and despite being this weight, i feel that if I exercise and eat healthy like I do normally, I will have a healthy baby.
Have you read the book "Big, Beautiful, and Pregnant?" This book is wonderful for anyone who is overweight and pregnant. My friend, who has PCOS, and I liked this book so much that we each bought copies on Amazon for ourselves. This book says that just because you are overweight doesn't mean that you are doomed for a C-Section, high blood pressure, or gestational diabetes. It is a wonderful book.

Jessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyerMom View Post
This makes me nervous in trying to find a supportive obgyn. I gained some weight after my son, and now am almost back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 255! I know that is still high, but hey I was 320 a year ago. I want to lose more weight before getting pregnant, but know I will still be in the low 200's around the time I want to conceive. My last doc wasn't terrible about my weight, but only cause I had gestational and followed the diet pretty well. (I gained 15lbs total) At least this time I am insured and have more time and options to "shop around."
Not all doctors are grouches about being overweight and pregnant. My gyno just told me that if you eat healthy and exercise and follow exactly what you are supposed to do in terms of weight gain, you will have a good pregnacy and birth experience.
yvee80 likes this.
November 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Kinethra's Avatar Veteran
I weight in the 290's now. I did weight 311 pounds not long ago. I've lost almost 20 pounds just cutting out bad foods and soda. Started doing Yoga & Pilates.

I think, of course, it would always be "best" to get yourself healthy so you can start your babies off properly. BUT, I also believe that it's not completely necessary. I think just start taking care of yourself while you're TTC and while Pregnant, and that will help THE MOST with issues during pregnancy and labor. Exercise especially. Strengthening the proper muscles will help labor tremendously, and of course laying off the junk food will help with pregnancy complications.

It's not wrong to try and have a baby while you are overweight, at all
December 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
just_jenn's Avatar Veteran
(new here...hi) I do not think its irresponsible. I was overweight with my first, I weighed around 240 when I had him and weighed about 250ish when I had my 2nd son. With this one I am a little heavier but I also have PCOS and I have a very hard time losing weight. I was not trying with this one and I am going to do my best to not gain alot of weight. That is my fear is that I will gain alot this time but with my other 2 the most I gained was 30 lbs.
yvee80 and joonzgurl like this.

February 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM
AshleeH's Avatar Veteran
i too was overweight and pregnant with my first two and had two girls, my first developed asthma at about 3.5 and my youngest was born with kidney reflux. (cant pronounce let alone spell the right term for it!) I was 205 with my first and when I had her I was 260, went down to 215 and got preg again and went to 230 when i delivered my second... I am happy to say im preg again (just over 6 weeks) and Im at the heaviest ive been at 265... Im hoping I dont gain too much if anything at all (hoping that with the summer coming i will be more active and lose the weight in my butt and legs!!!) but i know just by being healthy staying away from bad trigger foods (ie no salty foods to swell me up more then what I will be!) and be active every day (work at the airport so thats a given!) then I only hope for another healthy uneventful pregnancy!!!
yvee80 likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search