Labor?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2005, 04:29 AM
Rusha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Rusha
I am just wondering...if anyone in here was a plus size to start out with (before having babies)...how was your birth? Did you find it difficult? I am a 20 to start out with, so I am terrified I will have a hard time with labor because of it....help!

September 21st, 2005, 08:13 AM
Veteran
I wasn't plus size before I got pregnant (I wasn't skinny either though!) but I definitely was by the time I delivered! I don't think your size will affect labor at all. The size of the baby is what affects labor. I had gestational diabetes and Matt ended up being 9 lbs 1 oz and that was a week early! And he has a really big head! I still had him vaginal birth. I was induced and was in labor for about 11 1/2 hours. I pushed for an hour and 10 minutes. That was the worst part because I have asthma and I kept losing my breath during pushing. But I got him out. They had to give me an episiotomy to help him deliver easier. It healed easily though.

Labor isnt' THAT bad! I am totally freaked about pain- I have NO tolerance! I had the narcotic 3 hours into the labor and the epidural at 4 hours into it. My personal recommendation is to skip that narcotic (are you using an epidural or natural child birth?) It was supposed to "take the edge off" but it didn't. All it did was give me chills and make me throw up over and over. The epidural was awesome though! Mine had pretty much worn off before I delivered so I still felt all of that (it's bearable though), but it worked wonders for taking away those labor pains with the contractions. I will recommend going to the pharmacy (I bought mine at Walmart) and buying one of those doughnut cushions to sit on afterwards though. Between the stitches and my hemorroids afterwards, sitting was excruitiating for a couple of days. That cushion was a lifesaver!

You have to keep up updated on what all is going on with you. I love hearing about it. I am SOOOO ready to do it again!
September 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
soontobemommyto3
I was plus size before my 1st and 2nd pregnancies (I have lost weight since having #2 but could lose a little more). I had very easy labors. My first was born in 9 1/2 hours and my 2nd in 2 1/2 hours. I asked my OB if there was an increased risk of me needing a C-section and he said no. I had no problems getting the epidural - the only bad part is they ask you how much you weigh (which I didn't want to say!) but you need to answer so they can give you the right amount of medication.

I didn't have any complications with either pregnancy due to weight either and I still had a big babies. My daughter was 7lbs at 36 weeks and my son was 9lbs4oz at 39 weeks. Both were really long too.

I agree on skip the narcotics statement. I didn't have them with my term deliveries but with the loss of my 3rd baby I was induced and at first took the narcotics and those are horrible! They did nothing for the contractions but made me feel doped up and dizzy and sick to my stomach. Epidurals are the best route, they usually are very effective.
September 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
syncere
Its really hard to say what is "considered" to be plus sized anymore.. Seems like if you arent a size 5 that you are plus sized you know? But, Ill say this.. I was never a skinny girl.. But I was never FAT FAT either.. SO Ill just say.. I was "just right" But, my size did not affect my delivery at all and I even put on 75lbs with my son.. He was 2 weeks early and weighed 8lbs.. My labor and delivery was hard because I was induced so it makes it a bit more painful and not to mention this size of this kids noggin GOOD LORD lol.. A very thin mother could have 10 times the labor a plus sized woman will have it just varies person to person.. With this one.. I still have yet to gain any weight.. Matter of fact Im -2lbs.
Im hoping that this baby will be smaller and have a smaller head lol.. This way maybe I can have a semi comfortable delivery ...
September 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM
kayzie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to kayzie Send a message via Yahoo to kayzie
I was plus sized with baby number two and I am now while prenant with baby number three...there were no differences in difficulty between number one and two I dont think your size will matter at all (coming form someone who was and is still bigger than a 20)
September 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Cameron-n-JaydensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was plus sized before I got pregnant. I have been any where from a 16 to a 22 since I was like 20 years old! (I am 26 now)

I got pregnant fairly easily but cant help you yet as to how delivery was, my 1st son was born at 28 weeks gestation....So it was a very easy labor and delivery! He only weighed 3 lbs! So he "slid right out"!!

I am now 21 weeks pregnant and hope this one stays put...and I hope labor isnt hard. I know it wont be as easy this time but hoping for not very difficult!!!

Good Luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search