natural?c-section?

Forum: Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Plus Size Mommies and Mommies to Be LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2005, 11:31 AM
kraeon's Avatar Super Mommy
HI girls!!! I just wanted to know if it's possible to give birth naturally being 50lbs overweight pre pregnancy and maintain weight throughout? Also why are c-sections recomended for overweight women?
Before I found out i was pregnant i was on the atkins diet and lost about 30lbs and then i'm guessing i gained at least 20 back after i found out and dined on carbs *slaps my wrist* bad me i know!! So i am currently about 190-200 but ive been losing weight also probably 10 in the past 2 months...is that normal?
Anyways my main question is, what are my chances of delivering naturally?
Thank-you for your time
October 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Ashes78
I have never heard of them giving a person a c-section because they were overweight. Personally I think a natural birth would be better if you are overweight. I had both my boys by c-section (but it wasn't because of my weight) and the dr. told me that because of my weight it may take a bit longer for my c-section cut to heal. I think you have a great chance of delivering naturally. And it is normal to lose some weight when you are pregnant(especially if you have morning sickness). I lost 11lbs in the first trimester and lost a few more a few weeks before I had him.
October 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had natural with DS and C-section with DD (C-section had nothing to do with my weight), so your chances of delivering natural are good - i've never heard of them doing a section just because the mom was overweight.
with my son i gained 30 + pounds but with my daughter i lost weight from the beginning and only ended up gaining a total of 10-15lbs so your weight loss is normal also.

Good Luck!
October 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
i swear my doctor is nuts...shes tiny and thinks 10 lbs over weight is obese...glad i have a differant OB..
thank you so much for responding makes me feel so much better and i cant wait to hear what my OB says on nov 3rd
October 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Veteran
I delivered naturally at 234 lbs. I think the reason that a c-section is sometimes suggested is the size of the baby. But being overweight to begin with doesn't affect the size of the baby. However, the amount of weight gained during the pregnancy can. If the baby gets too big or gains too much weight, it may be more difficult to have it vaginally. However, Matt was 9 lbs, 1 oz, 22 inches long and had a 15 inch head and I still delivered vaginally, I did have to have an episiotomy though and I pushed for 1 hour 10 minutes before delivering.
October 25th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Cameron-n-JaydensMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I delivered my son naturally and hope to do the same with this one as long as no problems arise! But I have also never heard of a doctor doing a c-section just because of a womans weight maybe the baby's weight....but actually the different has been what I have heard...they would prefer you to try to go natural b/c it can take a long time to perform the operation and longer for you to heal!

So I would say baring any complications and a not having a large baby would say your chances are pretty good...unless your doctor is a "quack"!!!!!

October 27th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Kennysm0m's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Kennysm0m
I was 256 when I delivered vaginal and there was never talk of a c-section. I think the only reason that would happen is if you start to labor and the baby gets stressed but that could happen if you weighed 150 so I wouldnt worry about it. I loved my vaginal birth and hope to do it again this time...so soon.

Jess

October 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM
AnasMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AnasMommy
I delivered naturally at 275! The only reason tehre was talk of a c section is cause they induced me due to high blood pressure and I was on day 3 of being induced!

November 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Thank you for all the responses, made me feel 100% better while waiting to see a new doctor...I went to a new OB yesterday and he said the same thing you all did, I'm healthy no sign of a needed c- section, so releived....
so thank you thank you thank you....
November 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM
sharon81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sharon81
it really depends on your body and the baby positioning. I would ask your doctor if everything looks good. Just becuase you may be big on the out side doesn't mean you are on the inside. and sometimes people don't dialate... and some babys never drop or can't fit through the pelvic area... In my case the babys head was too big to drop... and I never dialated due to him not dropping.

November 22nd, 2005, 06:31 AM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
C-sections are easy for a doctor. They are planned. They are fairly controlled. An elective c-section is the WORSET thing you can do.

There is a book by Henci Goer called "The THinking Woman's Guide to Pregnancy" I could not stress the importance of reading this book for EVERY pregnant woman. http://www.hencigoer.com/ You can alsso click "Articles" and she has four articles on c-section, a few on pain killers, epidurals, etc. She also has informative articles on other pregnancy/birth topics. The articles are NO substitute for the book so please consider checking it out from your public library or buying it.

The chances of you not being able to deliever the baby vaginal because of the babies size is slim. Very slim. There is also a good article on episiotomy and epidurals. Both are must reads.

There is also another good book called Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin.

Best wishes and if you want to really insure a natural birth, I recommend birthing at home or at a birth centre or hospital with a midwife. If you are in the USA, check your state to find out about it. In Texas a certified nurse midwife is covered up to 85% of the fee that an OBGYN would charge.[EDITED TO ADD BY MEDICAID.] In other states I hear its 100%. They are of course skilled and experts and if something is not right, they will tell you. If something during the birth is not right, they will transfer you. (Most midwifes have a very very low transfer rate and when they do transfer its usually for women who are birthing irregularly like 30 hours of labour, abnormal contractions etc. )

So Crunchy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search