smoking and fertility

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2005, 09:04 AM
angelltn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I started our quit almost 1 year ago. We had a few set backs, but overall have been successful. I prefer and did well with cold turkey, whereas DH likes the Lozenges. I haven't been able to find info on...
1. How long does it take to reverse the effects of smoking on fertility once you've quit?
2. Can nicotine replacement therapies effect fertility?

Any info would certainly help. I've been nicotine free since last spring when I stopped BC. DH still uses Lozenges when he has to....hey, it's better than smoking again!

November 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure about the effects but I know that once you quit, your body recovers and heals itself pretty quickly!
Good job to both of you for quitting! That is a tough habit to kick!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

November 14th, 2005, 07:48 AM
wantababy26's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats on quitting smoking! Good for you guys....I'm not a smoker but know its one of the hardest things to quit so good for you! As far nicotine replacements affecting fertility I haven't heard anywhere that it does. Have you checked online...maybe type in nicotine replacements and fertility on google or something? Sorry I'm not much help1

Jake December 13th, 2006 6lbs 15oz. Jake 2 years 33lbs!!!!! What a big boy!

November 14th, 2005, 08:21 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Congrats on quitting to you AND DH!!! Mine had to quit as well and had SUCH a hard time. He went on the patches, gum, whatever he could get his hands on. I know that this will sound terrible, but I made him quit those, too. I felt like he just traded in one addiction for another. And he's perfectly fine with it now. Anyway, he actually did ask his doc about the replacement stuff because we were TTC. For women, as long as the nicotine itself is out of your system, you probably have a good chance of conceiving. Docs usually recommend that you be off ALL nicotine (smoking and replacement) for at least a month before TTC. Sounds like you've done that, so WOOHOO! There have been some studies that have shown that men who smoke (and even use replacement therapy) are up to 75% less fertile, but realistically, that number hovers around 30% overall (I THINK). The study was injecting rats with pure nicotine (so it wouldn't matter if it were cigarettes or patches or gum, lozenges, etc.). Those rats reproduced much more slowly and their sperm lost function.

So this all sounds terrible, BUT smoking does far more damage overall, so you're past that obstacle. Plus, I think that if you get him to wean off the lozenges, some of his fertility will be restored. He still has plenty of healthy sperm, no doubt, but the nicotine might not be helping. Is there a chance that he might come off it?

Sheesh...I still feel like the evil messenger. I think that you're probably both fine, I was just quoting a few of the studies I was given. Plus, I do research in tobacco law stuff and have seen study after study of the effects of cigarettes on fertility. (There are over 100 extra chemicals in cigarettes that, along with the nicotine, attack healthy sperm and eggs.) Like I said, you've both overcome the major hurdle!!! I'm sure that you're well on your way to a baby!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search