Flu Shot Question...

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Want2BaMom's Avatar Regular
Don't laugh but does anyone know if getting the flu shot affects TTC? Just wondering...I know...silly question!
November 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Not a silly question!!! I don't think that it affects it--as a matter of fact, "the experts" tell you that you SHOULD get one if you're pregnant.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to the flu, right?

November 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Want2BaMom's Avatar Regular
Thank you! Just want to be sure before I book my app't to get the flu shot done since DH and I are TTC.
November 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Flue shots are recommended for pg women. Plus getting the flue will affect temp charting so getting the shot might be a good idea while TTC. I got mine a month ago and right now I am the only person in my office not sick.

November 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Super Mommy
Got mine today. My MIL swears it won't make me sick...years ago when I took it I got the flu, but she swears that's impossible.

November 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Veteran
In Canada, up until only the last couple of years, the government issued guidelines saying *not* to vaccinate women in their first trimester, or women who may be pregnant .... but in 2003 or 04 they changed that to say everyone should be vaccinated. I did a little research (cause my work is having a vaccine day next week) and it seems that there were some old studies showing increased risk of birth defects and miscarriage after the flu vaccine, but the risks were zip for the newer vaccines.

It's a BOY!!
November 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyblonde@Nov 23 2005, 04:59 PM
In Canada, up until only the last couple of years, the government issued guidelines saying *not* to vaccinate women in their first trimester, or women who may be pregnant .... but in 2003 or 04 they changed that to say everyone should be vaccinated. I did a little research (cause my work is having a vaccine day next week) and it seems that there were some old studies showing increased risk of birth defects and miscarriage after the flu vaccine, but the risks were zip for the newer vaccines.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that it's changed... I'm in Vancouver, BC and I'm supposed to be O'ing in the next few days and getting my flu shot on Monday. I was worried reading the first part of your post!

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

November 27th, 2005, 04:06 AM
medicgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepmom@Nov 23 2005, 06:07 PM
Got mine today. My MIL swears it won't make me sick...years ago when I took it* I got the flu, but she swears that's impossible.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Hi!

Your MIL is correct. You got sick because you were either sick right before you got the shot and the symptoms hadn't started yet or you caught a different strain of the flu. The shot will only protect you against the strains they think will be most abundant that year. This is why the shot changes every year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search