What Activities / Sports will Your kids do?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I want a girl, Jason wants a boy. We keep saying thing like "after she's born" and he'll reply " you mean after he's born".

So yesterday we were driving home and I noticed all of the posters up for the Spruce Meadows Masters tournament (an annual show jumping event held in town), I commented that if we have a girl we're probably going to be stuck driving her to the stables, and if it's a boy to the hockey rink. Either way requires us to be up really early.

That got us talking about what kinds of activities/sports that we will encourage our child to join. So I ask you:

What activities / sports will you encourage your child to join?

*Edited to remove typo
August 31st, 2008, 10:21 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will definitely put my kids in riding lessons. Girls I will probably veer them more towards barrels and team roping, maybe jumping of some sort but im not into English so much....boys i will probably put in calf roping and driving.

i will also DEFINITELY put all of my children in dance - i danced my entire life and still do (im almost 21) and it is the best thing I do with my spare time! boys will probably just take like tap & tumbling when they're younger to help their coordination, girls i will not force of course but i will put them in what i do - lyrical, hiphop, ballet, tumbling, tap & jazz.

also i think every child should play soccer and softball/baseball!

i was involve in all of those as a child/teenager and it kept me busy and I loved it!! i dont want any kids living in front of computers or tvs!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Our kids will definately be doing something but exactly what they do is up to them. We will expose them to different things and what they decide to stick with will be their decision. If we have a girl we will definately put her in gymnastics/dance as well as other sports like soccer and softball...etc. We may also put a boy in gymnastics if the interest is there early on but mostly will do the normal soccer, baseball, football routine. Swimming lessons early on are a definate and whether they choose to persue it as a sport is up to them. I guess I don't really have a plan other than giving options and letting them decide what they like best.
August 31st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Veteran
DH and I were soccer players all through grade school, high school and college. Our kids will DEFINITELY grow playing soccer, though I'm sure we'll be open to letting them play whatever sport they'd like. Living in Colorado, if we don't raise skiers, I'll be very disappointed. :-)

<a href="http://preg.fertilityfriend.com/pages/217ca0" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Obviously it will depend on what interests them, but both DH and I are very athletic. A girl will almost definitely play softball, and anything else will be up to them (field hockey, soccer, gymnastics, cheerleading?). A boy will almost definitely play baseball and football. We may teach both of them to play golf too.

August 31st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it will depend on what interests them. I was into show jumping, DH played hockey growing up. I'd like to see boy or girl play soccer, tennis and golf. I've told DH that if they're into hockey that he's driving them to the early morning practices. If they want to ride, we may need to move somewhere closer to edge of the city.
August 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up riding horses and my mom and sister give riding lessons, so that would be an easy one for our kids. Other than horseback riding and dance lessons, I wasn't exposed to many sports growing up so I started basketball and softball a lot later than most of my friends. I loved them both and I just wish I had more time to play as a kid. Sooooo... I think I would just like to expose our children to all kinds of sports at young ages and see what interests them and let the kids take it from there.

Hollie
August 31st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to USArmySPC_2010
DH and I have discussed that if we have a boy that we will get him involved in sports and let him choose which one he likes. A little girl probably dance and horse back riding. DH's family is Portuguese so soccer runs in thier blood while I played softball and basketball in HS and College.

DH has even talked about teaching them to fly when they are older. He can't wait to take our future kids up flying.

August 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I really am not sure what we'd do. I'd probably try to introduce them to acting,art,&music and see if they want to pick up on any of that. If not, we'll try whatever sport they'd like. I did acting/art most of my childhood and SO did sports and music so hopefully something good will rub off. I don't want my kids to be couch potatoes, but I want them to be able to choose what they like instead of saying "you're doing this and thats final."

August 31st, 2008, 06:42 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH and I have discussed that we won't push our children into a particular activity or sport, but we will expose them to as much as possible. My DH likes to think that our children (boys or girls) will be born wearing Hockey Skates and carrying Lacrosse Sticks. That would be fine with me, but I'd also like for them to try softball/baseball, golf, football, swimming, gymnastics and definitely anything else they want to try. I'd love to get our children involved in athletics when they are young and keep them as active as possible!

Who knows, maybe one of us will end up with a future Olympian!!! LOL

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

August 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Super Mommy
I want our kids to be active, but I want them to decides what sport, or activity. DH is adamant that they will be playing soccer and little league, but if they don't want to do that, then they don't have to. I've played a sport that I wasn't fond of, and it's torture!
August 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i also want to put my kids in 4-h. i grew up in the city where 4-h was not available, but dh was in it his entire life. i am going to school for vet tech (with large animal interest..i will specialize in equine & bovine when im through)...and i eventually plan on going to vet school..i have all my pre-reqs done for that but cant afford it right now ... i want my kids to be able to break their own horses, and 4-h calves so i will probably have to start working with them for that when they're fairly young...i love working horses though when i have the time and so does my dh so hopefully it will be in their blood!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
September 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Angel_Maker
DH played Baseball until he was 17...he was extremely good and was being scouted by colleges when he was in 9th grade There's no doubt that he COULD'VE gone to the Major Leagues if not for getting hung up with the wrong crowd and getting in to drugs

If we have a boy, I know that DH will STRONGLY encourage them to play baseball. He'd probably rather them play baseball over football, but would be fine with football if our son had no interest in BB whatsoever....HOWEVER, DH has made it very clear that our sons will not be allowed to play soccer In school DH always hated the "soccer kids"

As for a girl, definitely dance. And although I would LOVE to get them into gymnastics, I would probably hold off until they were a bit older....I was put in gymnastics when I was 4, and suffered long term damage to my knees because my body was not prepared.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search