How long can OPKs stay positive??

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I posted this on the AIP board already, but received no responses, so I thought I would respost it here:

I'm a little bit confused and need some feedback. I purchased the Answer brand OPK strips from Walmart (you get 20 in a packet) and I was pretty sure it wasn't working, but on CD 18 I definitely saw the test line darker than any of the other days I tested before...this would be accurate since I believe I would be ovulate around CD 19.

However, it's been four days since the first positive OPK (and I know they can be a little difficult to read) and I am still getting what appears to be a positive result. (I know, I know I'm crazy, but I'm addicted to POAS and since I had 20 and they said they were going to expire w/in a month, I decided what the heck??).

Is this common? Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried??

September 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As far as I understand, you will O 12-36 hours after your first positive OPK. I generally test until I get my positive and then one more time to make sure...
Here's a link that might explain it better... Check out FAQ#4 : Pee-on-a-stick.com

I would say that as long as the test on CD18 was in fact positive, then you should have/will O on CD19 (CD20 at the latest). I hope that helps and I hope you catch that eggie!!!! Good luck!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

September 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
As far as I understand, you will O 12-36 hours after your first positive OPK. I generally test until I get my positive and then one more time to make sure...
Here's a link that might explain it better... Check out FAQ#4 : Pee-on-a-stick.com

I would say that as long as the test on CD18 was in fact positive, then you should have/will O on CD19 (CD20 at the latest). I hope that helps and I hope you catch that eggie!!!! Good luck! [/b]

I agree with Cris. I hope you'll get your BFP!! Keep us posted.

Hollie
September 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the responses girls! I will try to test again tomorrow to see if the it goes back to negative.

I did get one response on the AIP board and she said that for two months after she got off BCPs, there were several days of positive OPKs, but afterwards, it was only two. The other thing she said to watch out for was PCOS, since apparently it can be a sign of that...my sister has PCOS, so I will be sure to watch it for next month to see if it's just a fluke or if I need to get it checked out.

Will keep you posted.

September 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
That is why I don't use the Answer strips...when I did one month all I got were positives for like 6 days...I switched to ICs and those are way more accurate for me. Some people like the Answer strips but I have heard of other girls having the same problem...I say get a different brand next time!
September 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
shannaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with April, that the answer OPK's have been known to give many days of positive results. If you can afford it, I would recommend investing in a Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor. That way there is never any guess work as far as reading the lines. It will either give you a low, high or peak reading. You can find them pretty cheat on E-bay. I gave up using OPK's, and now would be lost without my CBEFM.

Good luck, and let us know know you make out!

By the way...Welcome to the board! I hope we get to see you around here more often!

Thanks to Vicki for my gorgeous siggy!

September 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks girls for the advice specifically on the Answer OPKs!!

I had a freaking out session last night about the idea that I might possibly have PCOS (my sister has it and it does tend to run in families) and what this could mean etc. etc. DH was good enough to talk me off the ledge (as he always does), but I definitely will try a different brand next month or get a CBEFM if I get the chance.

EDIT:
I tested again today using the OPK and it is FINALLY a negative, so that would make 4 days of positive tests.

September 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My FR OPKs were like that a few months ago. I got 3 definite positives in a row.

September 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
I sometimes have several days of +OPKs in a row before I get a negative. I do use the answer brand as well, but what I have learned is that you may have several days that *look* positive, but if you really analyze them, you will notice that even though the test line is darker than the control line in all of them, you will have a couple of days that are the darkest. I count those days that are the darkest as the +OPKs. KWIM?

I agree with Shanna that the CBEFM is great and takes the guess work out of it, although the first month that I used it, I got a peak reading but had conflicting body signs. It turns out that I actually O'd after it gave me a peak. I think it was just a fluke because it was the first month I used it and the machine was still learning my body.

The best way to *know* that you O is to use OPKs, temp, and to learn those body signs. For instance, I have EWCM for several days before I actually O. Many people will tell you that you should consider yourself fertile if you have EWCM, but I know that if I do not have EWCM accompanied by sore nipples, then I haven't O'd yet. For me, the sore nipples is the key. Everyone's bodies are different, so it is so so so important that you learn your body.

Good luck, and welcome!

September 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I definitely think the 2nd or 3rd day that the OPK came up positive were darker than the first day, so that may be something to watch out for in the future.

I have been charting changes in my cervix, but unfortunately am not able to chart my BBT because I tend to wake up several times a night to use the bathroom (healthy, but very small bladder :-P). I do tend to have EWCM a few days leading up to O, so that seems to be helpful along with the OPKs (this is my first month using them).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search