How long of TTC before seeking medical attention?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Sariedakota's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm only on my 4th cycle.. but I'm just curious to know cause I haven't even talked to my Dr about ttc yet. At my last annual check up, I told her we would be ttc at some point but I think that was several months before we actually started trying. Should I talk to my Dr? Or are there any tests anyone could recommend?

I've heard that most Dr's wont even give any help until you have been ttc for at least a year.. but I honestly dont think I can wait that long.

September 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
If you have medical problem like pCOS, endo or something like that, they should be able to treat you whether you have been ttc for 5 months or a year.. but if you have normal cycles and all that.. most doctors will tell you wait a year. Thats' why my doctor told me to come back in a year cuz we were healthy.

If you have medical problem like pCOS, endo or something like that, they should be able to treat you whether you have been ttc for 5 months or a year.. but if you have normal cycles and all that.. most doctors will tell you wait a year. Thats' why my doctor told me to come back in a year cuz we were healthy.

September 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Most doctors won't do anything for you until you've been trying for at least a year... if you're 35 and over they'll start helping around 6 months... It can take up to a year for a normal healthy couple to get pregnant.

With that said, there are always exceptions. For example, if you don't ovulate on your own, if your LP is short, if your cycles are long and irregular, etc.

We're on Month 10 and I started talking with my Doctor around Month 7 because I had quite a few annovulatory cycles, and other ones that were long and irregular. I finally got my referral to a RE since my regular OB/GYN had done all the normal tests and didn't find anything to explain what's wrong, I have that appt on Thursday.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

September 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most docs won't see you before a year unless you've been charting daily for at least a few months and can see something is wrong. My doc wanted to see my charts before seeing me. Luckily I'd been temping and had them. I was able to make an appointment before the year mark.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

September 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Lauren S's Avatar Mom to Brady and Hannah
I showed my first doctor my charts at 8 months, and she said she couldn't do anything until we had been trying 12 months. I was ovulating on my own, and my charts showed that. She made it very clear that if it takes you 12 months to get pregnant, you are still in the "normal" range. I went home and bawled my eyes out. I know you feel like you won't be able to make it to 12 months, but honestly you'll probably get pg before then anyway! Keep your chin up!
September 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
I hope it doesn't come to a year for you but like Lauren said, I know it seems like forever and if you had told me a year ago after I lost my third baby that a year later I would still be trying I would have thought it was the end of the world. But really, although it was agonizing at times, it has gone by fast. If you are charting your temps and it shows you do O on your own then I agree that most Drs will tell you to wait a year. If you are charting and notice something is wrong like you don't O or have a really short LP then they might see you sooner. Some OBs will do some preliminary stuff just because you are TTC though...it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. All Drs are different.
September 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I talked with my Dr at the on year mark of TTC. He said that since everything "looks" normal with us, that he didn't really feel comfortable being really aggressive in testing and stuff (unless we really wanted to) until about a year and a half. He said that he sees so many couples come in who are normal and healthy and just take a little longer to get the timing right and it most usually happens before the year and a half mark. DH and I decided that we'd give it until January, but we are both open to starting testing/treatments (if necessary) sooner than that if we just feel like we need to. When I was leaving the office, the Dr told me that he had a good feeling that he'd be seeing us get pregnant before January. I guess we'll see!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

September 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
I just saw my doctor today because I have had a lot of mid cycle bleeding and really short LPs. We have tried since January (with a short break right now) and she said that she feels comfortable moving forward with checking a few things.

September 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went in for a consult at the beginning of our 8th month. My doctor had told me when we first started TTC that we should try a year before coming in. However, I was charting and like some of the other girls, not ovulating on my own (and had the charts to prove it), so I got help a little sooner. If my cycles were normal, I still wouldn't have been able to get any help yet..
Like the other girls said, keep your chin up!

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

September 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that it just depends on the Dr. and how willing and interested they are in helping. It can't hurt. Mine did an initial blood work up and did a sperm test on my hubby at 6 months TTC. It can't hurt to atleast call and let the Dr. know that you are trying and see if they have any preliminary suggestions with helping.

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search