Irregular cycles

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this group. I've been "officially" TTC for about 2 months and "unofficially" for 4. Prior to June of this year, I was on the pill for 6 years.

Since going off the pill, my cycles have been very irregular (varying from 23 to 30 days). At a recent dr. visit I had my progesterone levels taken; they were reported to be low and they were taken around the time I should have been ovulating.

Should I be concerned for any reason that I've had irregular cycles and possibly wasn't ovulating for at least one cycle? I'm trying not to obsess and I realize that it can take time to get back to normal, but at the same time, am trying to foresee any potential problems.

Thanks!!
October 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Welcome to our group! I'm April (22) married to Jeff (22) We're on Month 11 of TTC #1.

I'd say if your cycles are 23-30 days that isn't really that irregular and I wouldn't really worry about it. And when did you have your progesterone tested? It's supposed to be taken 7 days after you ovulate (7DPO), if it was taken before that, thats probably your reason for a low reading.

Just for some more information. My cycles are anywhere from 19 days (only happened once though) all the way up to 61 days. That's irregular. So see you're pretty normal.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

October 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WELCOME!!! My name is Beth (24), DH is David (26) and we have been TTC #1 for just a few short months. In fact, I also went off bc in June as well. I agree with April - 30 days is definitely not irregular. My doctor said it can take up to 3 months before you start ovulating normally again, but it sounds like you are probably ovulating, and you just didn't get a reading at the right time. My doctor said that if I get my period to go in and get tested, so that would be like almost 14 days after I ovulate. Do you chart or use OPKs? I started to chart in August and that has really helped me learn a lot about my body and when to plan to BD.

My Blog
October 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Hello there!

Since you are off the BCP, it takes few cycles for your body to get back to normal. Some jump right back, some take months before they become regular, some never gets their cycle regulated and had to have provera to induce AF.
I would give it a few cycles and see how it goes.

I'm your cohost along with Ash Les and I have been TTC for 2 years. Please feel free to ask any questions and jump in the posting. Good luck with your cycle!

Oh and FYI, there's a website for you to record your cycle at http://www.fertilityfriend.com
October 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the group! I'm Jackie (27) DH is Jon (28) and we've been TTC since December 07, currently in our 3rd cycle with medical assistance.

As for your questions, I think the ladies here covered it well. It's going to take some time (doctors usually say up to 6 months) for your body to start to regulate after BCP, although mine never did.

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

October 8th, 2008, 05:46 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Kris! Welcome!

I'm Tina(25) and DH is Justin (26 today!). We have been today for 5 years and married for 2. This was our first "official cycle" TTC, though we've been TTC unofficially since late July.

I'm in the same boat you are. I stopped using BCPs in late July after being on them for 5 years. My first cycle regulated immediately, but this second cycle is going on CD 46 now. I have a doctor's appointment today to talk about options since she knows we are TTC and I am anxious for AF to arrive so we can start trying again.

October 8th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the group!!! Hope your stay here is short and sweet. I'm Amanda (27) and DH is Michael (25), We have been TTC for 10 cycles now. I think it's different for every woman when they come off of BCP. I got off in January of 07 and it took me a year and 3 months not to have irregular cycles. My Cycles ran from 26 to 38 days. But after that it has gotten regular. It's a good thing that your Dr is already testing your levels. Is your Dr. going to put you on any medications to help with the progesterone? I hope that you can get your BFP soon.

May 2010- Kennedi

Oct 2012-Everly

4 angel babies watching over us.

October 8th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I'm Lee Ann, DH is Matt. We're on our third month of ttc.

I was told that anything below 21 days and above 35 days is irregular.....so I agree with the other ladies - your not. The fluctuations from one cycle being 23 days and the next being 30, might just be your body adjusting and I think they will probably level themselves out, just give it time. (That is what happened with me )

</div>
October 8th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi. I'm Cel (30). DH (31) and I have been ttc for 19 months now. This is our fifth medicated cycle. I'm like April, in that I have very irregular cycles. I did before going on and after coming off of bcp. I don't know for sure, but my doc suspects my longer cycles were annovulatory. I hope your cycles regulate soon and you don't have to wait much longer to get a BFP. Good luck.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
I am Ashley (30) and DH is Nathan (31). We have been TTC since January 08 after being on BC for 8 years. This is my 10th month off, and I still have varying cycles. This is the break down:

Cycle 1-35 days
2-38 days
3-29 days (yay, a normal one. Maybe I am getting back to normal!)
4-28 days (woo-hoo, that's two months in a row)
5-36 days (Maybe not!)
6-27 days (what the heck)
7-35 days
8-29 days
9-?? (current cycle)

I wrote all that to let you know that you are definitely not alone. The most important things are that you are ovulating and that you have a normal length Luteal Phase (time from ovulation to AF or BFP). You Luteal phase needs to at the least 11 days, although I have heard that if it is less than 12 you need to point that out to your doctor (if TTC, which is the case here).

Anyway, welcome! I am also one of your co-hosts....with Aaron Nicole. If you have any questions, let one of us know (or anyone else for that matter). The ladies of this board are the BEST!!

October 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Regular
Thank you, ladies, for all the helpful replies! It is reassuring to connect with others like myself. By the way, I'm Kristin (28) and my husband is Craig (34).
October 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think everyone else has answered your questions, but I wanted to pop in and say Welcome! I'm Cris married to Shawn and we've been trying for 15 cycles now. I hope your stay here is short and I look forward to getting to know you!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

October 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Kris!

I can totally sympathize with the confusion of ending BCP. My first two cycles were crazy long, as you can see at the bottom of my signature. Things started to regulate with the third cycle though.

May your stay here be short and sweet.

~ Jessica ~

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

October 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
Hi and Welcome!! I agree wiht the other girls that your cycles really aren't that irregular. I also wouldn't count that one cycle out as annovulatory. Progesterone is low in the first part of your cycle and goes up after ovulation but since you weren't tracking your cycles and it was "around when you would ovulate" it is possible it was just taken too early. The best thing to do is start charting your cycles. There is a sticky posted at the top of the page that is called Getting Started TTC. It has info on why it is helpful to chart and what it can tell you. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search