Getting a second cat

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Em2528's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I are thinking of getting another kitten. It would be so cute and tiny, we would just have to figure out specifics, like where it would sleep and stuff, because we would probably have to keep it isolated at first, and im not sure where we would do that (we have the room in the house, its just a matter of where to put her). My dads gf's mom has 6-8 kittens, and is giving them away free, I dont know what to do, what do you girls think?? Any advise? anyone have more than one cat? Im also worried about our cat we already have feeling "replaced" by a new kitten in the house, which she wouldnt be, im just not sure how she would react to it. What do you girls think? Can anyone help me out?

................. .
.................................................. ..
December 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We got 2 cats about 3 years ago from my mother's cat litter...they were sisters obviously and very close...so that wasn't a problem.

But then last year, from March until October or so....we had a cat come to our back deck EVERY day that we would feed. It would sit for hours and hours on our back deck in the sun. When we woke up every morning, she would be sitting on the banister of the deck which we could see from the window behind our sink, waiting for us to come down and feed her. Because it was going to be getting cold/snowy, we made the decision to take her in.

They still fight to this day, but I think they're all comfortable in the house together. I would advise introducing them slowly to each other, a little bit at a time. Also, have seperate food and litter boxes.

How old is your current cat? I think (well, I'm hopeful!) that it would be an easy transition

December 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Our current cat is almost 3 years old, the one we might get is about 8 weeks old.

................. .
December 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so You are getting another kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ALWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS recommend having 2 cats from same liter for many reasons... companionship, bond, etc!!!! If I were you, I'd get 2 kittens from your Dad's GF! 6 kittens awwww! I would take em all in a heartbeat!

As you see I have 5 cats... The oldest cat Ashley is 17.. my mom only limited me to have 1 cat while growing up... then when I graduated college and moved out of mom's house into an apt and was dating James.. we decided around Christmas we wanted another cat for Ashley's company sake so we went looking around at shelters and humane society. We found a liter of kittens... James said adopt 2 because it's easier on them and Ashley is too old and having 1 kitten would mean the kitten will be lonely when AShley dies ... sooo we adopted 2 sisters (same color)... then what ya know.. a year later someone dumped a beer box on our apt backyard. There were 4 kittens inside. We kept 2 because of same reason.. companionship and sibling bond/love... we gave other 2 to our best friend. We have total 5 cats and we would NOT trade anything in the world! having 5 cats is perfect to us.... So many love and always get love from them no matter when.... when I'm down, I have at least 3-5 on my laps soothing me. Last night I was freezing to death with -1, -22 wind chill and 50 mph gust wind... i was sitting on the recliner chair and watched christmas movies with christmas tree dimming in the dark... my mom came to me to say good night..s he was like how many cats are on your lap!? I said uhh (counts) 4! They kept me soooo warm!!!

anyway i'm rambling.... I encourage you get 2 kittens!!! 3 cats are not bad trust me!!!! You just need to separate them for a few days and go to the vet to get them dewormed, kitten booster shots and neutered/spayed. then start introducing the kitten to your eldest cat by nature. I just let my cats free and they walked to the new cat and smelled their butts (it's a way of greeting). it took a week or so to get used to them. it's easier on younger cats to get along with kittens than old cat like mine.. my ashley HATED the kittens at first then months later they got along.

Good luck!!!
December 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Contrary to popular belief, house cats (unlike jungle cats) are actually social by nature, and will form big groups when feral. I think it's a great idea to always have cats in 2s or 3s, because they really need the companionship. As far as introductions go, just make sure to always be near them when you first put them together, to break up any initial fights that might break out. But don't freak if it isn't an instant bond - takes time for cats to get to know each other, and they may never be true bff's, but once they've established dominance, they'll manage just fine.

Good luck!
December 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Ok I guess the few main things im worried about are these..

1. The feelings of my 3 year old "baby"...she has been our only cat for her whole life and I dont want her feelings to be hurt if we bring another animal into the house, I dont want her to feel replaced or anything, she is my baby and I just love her so much.

2. I dont want our 3 year old cats personality to change towards us because of the kitten being around and stuff. For example, my kitty lays on my lap more than half of the day and im afraid that if I have kitten smell on my or even the kitten herself, that my older cat wont come around me as much and stuff and that would break my heart.

3. We have a "cat bathroom" in our finished baseent where we keep Aprils (our 3 year old kittys name) food and litter box and stuff, and I was thinking maybe we can just confine the kitten to that bathroom for sleeping at night etc. until she is ready to roam the house freely with April, but then what will I do with Aprils litter box and food...I dont want to kick her out of her bathroom. I also dont really want to move the cat stuff to any other area of the house so im unsure what to do there.

4. When we travel (which isnt often, but occationally to visit our family) we will be traveling with an extra kitten and her crate and litter box (enless they can share a litter box...can they??)

................. .
December 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice as I only have one cat and he's a major grump but I hope that your new kitten joins your family with a seamless transition and the 2 cats get along famously! Good luck to you!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our cats are 6 years apart. We've never had problems introducing a kitten to an older cat. I do recommend making sure you're around for the first week to supervise. Some people keep them isolated at first - we've been lucky and haven't had any major skirmishes.

We have 2 litter boxes which the boys share. As a rule you should have 1 for each cat.

April will probably have her nose out of joint at first, just be sure to spend extra time with her and give her lots of extra love.

When in doubt, call your vet or SPCA for advice.

Good luck! 2 cats are definitely better than 1!
December 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Female cats get along best with female cats as they have similar habits and play the same. For example, females like to chase each other, but won't wrestle. Males tend to chase and then wrestle. If you had a male first and then got a female you'd probably be ok. Since your kitty is 3, I'd suggest you get a female. I would highly suggest you don't get 2 additional cats. It would be highly likely for those 2 to be best buddies and gang up on April. It's because of that that I suggest you get 1 cat. I used to work at a humane society and this is all stuff we used to tell current pet owners.

Your cat may surprise you. We had 1 cat and then got another about a year later. The older cat hissed at the younger one the first time he saw him. We tried to keep them separate, but by the next day they were best friends. I second the 1 litter box for each cat and making sure April gets lots of attention. My boys share 2 litter boxes and have never wanted one that belongs to just them.

If April is very dominate, you may want to pick a cat that's a bit more submissive.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

December 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks girls, ill let you know if we end up being able to get one!

................. .
December 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[quote]
Ok I guess the few main things im worried about are these..

1. The feelings of my 3 year old "baby"...she has been our only cat for her whole life and I dont want her feelings to be hurt if we bring another animal into the house, I dont want her to feel replaced or anything, she is my baby and I just love her so much.

2. I dont want our 3 year old cats personality to change towards us because of the kitten being around and stuff. For example, my kitty lays on my lap more than half of the day and im afraid that if I have kitten smell on my or even the kitten herself, that my older cat wont come around me as much and stuff and that would break my heart.

3. We have a "cat bathroom" in our finished baseent where we keep Aprils (our 3 year old kittys name) food and litter box and stuff, and I was thinking maybe we can just confine the kitten to that bathroom for sleeping at night etc. until she is ready to roam the house freely with April, but then what will I do with Aprils litter box and food...I dont want to kick her out of her bathroom. I also dont really want to move the cat stuff to any other area of the house so im unsure what to do there.

4. When we travel (which isnt often, but occationally to visit our family) we will be traveling with an extra kitten and her crate and litter box (enless they can share a litter box...can they??)

my best advice is before you take any kittens in you need to get everyone tested for feline leukemia and FIV (feline for of HIV)
those are simple blood tests that will probably cost you about 30$ in a clinic..unless you have a teaching school for vet techs around there..then probably only about $10.00...because if those kittens have either of those contagious diseases, they will pass them to your baby and FeLV, FIV cats only have a life span of about 3-6 years.

Also as far as litter boxes go, a general rule of thumb is 1 litter box per animal - you cant prevent them from sharing unless you lock them up but if one is using the litter box you need to have another one to prevent inappropriate elimination! But I would say for traveling, one litter box would be fine.

April might be a little stand-offish at first, but she will probably warm up in a few weeks - however we have 4 cats, and our male cat (who is 24 and lived by himself most of his life mind you) cannot stand the other 3 cats (they are all females) - but they tolerate eachother 90% of the time. They miss and growl, but just go on their way.

good luck!!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Erika, I have YEARS of experience with cats all my life. My dad had over 30 barn cats and we always had many cats in the house in and out and I have always seen cats get along 90% of time. April will be fine, trust me. You have the mommy bear inside that you are fearing for your cat. That's normal. I felt the same way with Ashley when we first looked for additonal cat but ended up adopting 2 sisters. It took Ashley about a month to get along with them. Ashley's personality never changed. She is still same old self. You are responsible for giving equal attention to each cat. I always give each cat equal attention just as I would treat each child. Think of this as a challenge when you have kids. What's the difference when you want more children but you are afraid your oldest child would have his/her feelings hurt if your attention was on other child?

Quote:
Celry
I would highly suggest you don't get 2 additional cats. It would be highly likely for those 2 to be best buddies and gang up on April. It's because of that that I suggest you get 1 cat. I used to work at a humane society and this is all stuff we used to tell current pet owners.[/b]
I disagree with Celry. Interesting, every vets and animal shelter always encourage get 2 or 3 cats mainly for companship as stlgirl said. I don't think 2 cats would gang up on 3rd cat. I had 3 cats for 1 year before I found Angel and Smoke. Livy and Bender never ganged up on Ashley. In fact, they were best friends and inseparable. Indoor cats are very social.

My mom has 1 cat that is 1 year old. When we brought 5 cats home for the Holidays few weeks ago, he was very territorial and kept to himself. Then a week later, he became best friends with my 5 cats. He always chase after my cats and wrestle and sleep together at nights. It's so cute!!!

Erika, good luck with your decision.

OH and I forgot.... Erika, you asked about traveling. Just put a regular liter box in the backseat floor and they will know where to go. Get your kitten used to the traveling before he/she gets older so he/she will overcome the anxiety. And cover up your back seat with a lot of blankets with tarp under it for pee resistant. Thats' what I do.
My cats overcame the anxiety after traveling few times last year. We moved a lot last year and this year.

And I bought oversized liter box at Petsmart.. it cost about $20.. it is worth my money so I don't need to buy several literboxes because it consume space!

December 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Here's the link to the giant litter box at Petsmart I bought last year. My color is blue.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751239
December 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Veteran
I have 3 cats right now.... the oldest one I had for a few years before I got the other 2. The 2 I got were brothers and i've had them all together for a few years now. They haven't tried to team up against my oldest cat at all. In fact one is closer to my oldest cat then his own brother. They all get along great and I don't regret getting 2 of them at the same time at all. I absolutely agree with Aaron Nicole!! Good Luck with whatever your decision is. Let us know what you decide.

December 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Justjeni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello Erika! I'm a cat lover and have been since I was younger. It really just depends on how your cat reacts. I have always been ab;e to get another cat after having one already. Except last year I got a third cat and my 1 year old kitty didn't like it. He would squill so loud he sounded like a PIG every time the new kitty came around, I'm not kidding it was wild (funny too). Mind you I have an older Cat and he could care less. I hope that if you get a new kitten that your car will just love on it. I have two males now & as long as I have the younger (part pig kitty, ) I can't get another cat. I was sad, but then okay with it. I ended up giving that third kitten away to a great home.

Just wanted to share my experience with you!
December 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here... I was stalking you girls & saw this post.

We have 3 cats, 2 girls & a boy. When we got our newest, she was a year old & left in a box with her kittens near the supermarket. We adopted her at our vet's when we took in one of our others for a check-up.

The best thing to do is keep her in a separate room with a litter box & food/water. Give her a blanket to lay on & keep the door closed. Let your other cat sniff her through the door but don't let them interact yet. After a day or 2, you can bring out the blanket she slept on & let your other cat smell it. Don't worry if your first cat hisses or growls or shows any sort of jealousy. It's normal. Cats are very territorial. It'll pass though. You can do the same for the kitten w/the blanket your 1st cat slept on. They should smell each other out before having any kind of contact.
My vet said to wait 2 weeks before letting them out in the open together. We waited a week. At first, our male cat HATED this new one. He growled at her, his hair stood up, & he'd sit on top of furniture & hiss at her. We never left them unattended. We did this for a couple of days before letting her out full time. It was a little sketchy at first. We weren't sure if they'd get along. All of a sudden, they just went & took a nap together, played together, etc. Out of a clear blue sky. Now they're inseparable. He cleans her all the time. It's adorable..like Fred & Ethel. The other girl cat...not so much. But she was abused & doesn't take to anyone so that was no surprise.
But anyway... it's an adjustment, but eventually they'll come around & hopefully be the best of friends. BTW, there's a 3 year age difference between all of our cats.. they're 8, 5, & 2 if that helps.

Good luck!

December 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Female cats get along best with female cats as they have similar habits and play the same. For example, females like to chase each other, but won't wrestle. Males tend to chase and then wrestle. If you had a male first and then got a female you'd probably be ok.[/b]
This wasn't the case with our cats. The 2 youngest (2 & 5) play all the time together & they're male & female. And unfortunately, they both gang up on the other female. Unfortunately, the oldest female was abused & she needs extra attention & patience. Now that our LO will be coming soon, we've started to look for a new home for her. We just think she'd be happier. It's killing me though... I'm not the type to give a pet away out of convenience...so it's sad. Anyway... I got off my point lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search