Does this bother you?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this is off topic but i wasn't sure where else to post this. There have been some siggies in the past that kinda bothered me but i got over it. I know there's a way to have them not show but for the most part i like seeing them. Today i saw one with a mother breastfeeding, which i'm all up for. I don't typically mind seeing it but when it shows part of the woman's areolas i feel like that's going to far. I personally don't feel like that should be allowed. It just seems like too much of a private thing to go and post online. That's just my opinion. I'm not wanting a debate or even asking for any advice. I was just wondering if anyone else is offended by these?

December 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's really a big can of worms you opened. For many women, certainly traditionally in this country, breastfeeding is considered a private thing, not to be done in public, especially not without a blanket to help you be 'discreet'. However, there is a new movement (sort of a post-feminist thing) that wants to celebrate breast feeding and take the stigma away. It's about de-sexualizing an act that, really, is in NO WAY sexual. Why should our life-giving breasts be hidden away? Why should we run to hide in coat closets or restrooms to feed the baby we love when we go out on the town? I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, having grown up never seeing breast-feeding as something that was accepted beyond your home, and will probably feel weird about public feeding once I have my own baby, even in front of friends and family. DH thinks I'm crazy, and is all for joining the public breastfeeding bandwagon (and no, not because he's turned on by the idea of women's boobs all over the place, but rather, because he's really into motherhood and has a lot of respect for all that our bodies can do). So I guess my 2 cents is that people here have a right to siggy's that represent their pride in motherhood.
December 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
hmmm i understand what you're saying. I definitely feel like women should be able to breastfeed anywhere and anytime they'd like, but personally i'd prefer if they were covered. Sorry for opening a big can of worms *hides* I'd just never seen siggies like that before and didn't know whether they'd allow a picture of a topless woman without a baby in a siggy if they allow that.

December 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha, no need to hide! I think it's important to have open conversations about it, and certainly everyone has a right to their own views.
December 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
LivingAsSara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It doesn't offend me at all, but I can understand how it could be offending to some.
I have a friend who used to breastfeed in front of me - and she never really hid anything and it just doesn't bother me. I'll definitely be breastfeeding, and I'm all for doing in public- while seeing a mom breastfeed in a "siggy" doesn't bother me, *I* would probably cover up a little more But still, it doesn't offend me much- it takes a lot to offend me, though.

December 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I have to agree, while I think it's perfectly fine. We all have different levels of modesty. I've always been modest, and I will always probably cover up a bit more when BFing in public, but I have no problem with women who aren't as modest as me. Heck, sometimes I wish I wasn't so modest! I think BFing has been something kept so in the closet, that people understandably get a little freaked out by seeing boobs, but it's such a natural thing. It's as natural you can get as a mother. I think it's a very positive thing.
December 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A siggy wouldn't bother me. Now I may say something to myself about it, but I wouldn't be offended. I am not one who is going to breastfeed in public because I wouldn't feel comfortable.

I grew up across the street and 4 houses down from a woman who was like the regional president (or something like that) of La Leche League. She, and I kid you not, breastfed the youngest until he was like 4 or 5. I always thought it was really really odd and nothing that I would do in front of visitors, but even though she ran her office out of her house, she would breastfeed in front of us neighbors and other visitors. It was, I guess, uncomfortable to some degree to see the 5 year old kid breastfeeding.

Just my opinion.

</div>
December 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just me Hijacking another thread Youll never get rid of me now. I compltley understand hat your saying but we are all women who havent yet breastfed, as many of us may plan to, its not happened yet. In my opinion breasts are very much seen as a sexual object, when a women starts breastfeeding, they become also the nourishment for another human being, I really hope I can experience that feeling and im sure its amazing but until were in that situation I think its hard to visualize or understand how we will truly feel about it. Hmm I know what Im trying to say but I cant seem to describe it right, lol. Once we have all given birth Im sure we will have a new appreciation for our body and wont just see our bits as sexual objects. Not that thats how I veiw my body but you know what Im trying to say. The person whose signature it is may feel very strongly about b/f and feel its such a beautiful photo and wants to shar with everyone. On this site there are many women who have their stillborn babies in their signature and I feel they have every right to do so, but this unfortunatly may offend some people, although I hope not.
Def an interesting topic and looking forward to seeing everyone elses responses.
December 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
it doesnt really offend me, im all for breastfeeding while i personally would not be comfortable with posting that type of picture online, i say more power to women who are comfortable enough to do that
December 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesnt bother me at all. I wouldnt have the guts to post a pic of myself breastfeeding, more power to her!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

December 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
It's normal to feel weirded out at first. I have to admit I was weirded out. I had a professor breastfeed during our class's presentation. The babysitter brought the professor's son who was like 2 months old at that time to breastfeed right in front of us in the classroom. I was very offended because I thought it was unprofessional. The class reported her and she fought back saying it was her right.. but her boss told her to do it in private.

Later I thought about it... every woman should have a right to breastfeed anywhere. For me, out of courtesy, I would cover up my breast while BF. I wouldn't want to expose my breast to men! That's just me.

If a mother wants to BF in front of me, that's fine.. I will not stare at it. It's their bonding time.

However, it could ruin for some ladies to see that... because it happened to my mom.. she was traumatized by great aunt ann who always BF in front of everyone. She didn't BF me because of that. AS she got older, she began to realize BF is important so she BF my sister.
December 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Sophia.'s Avatar Veteran
I'd probably be a bit taken aback at first, but it wouldn't offend me to be honest. x

December 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
LittleLady19's Avatar Laci
Send a message via MSN to LittleLady19
it doesnt offend me I see it as a part of nature! But you would never see me whip out my boobies in public to BF I mean if I had a blanket to cover myself I probably would. But then again I'm very shy about that so I would probably do it in private. If a woman is that comfy with her body to post pics of then more power to her but me personally I wouldnt do it. I had a friend that would BF right infront of me and it didnt bother me at all. My SIL never BF cause she said her boobs were for her DB which I think is crap but its her choice.

December 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll be honest, I get a little annoyed by the whole "It's my right to do it in public" thing. There's no reason people can't have a little bit of modesty. I understand it being a wonderful, nurturing thing....I plan to do it. But I'll do it in private, and if I ever find myself needing to BF in public, I will definitely cover up and be discreet about it. While I completely agree it's your right, I don't think it needs to be forced down my throat. I pretty much have the same feelings about a lot of extreme views...why can't there be a compromise?

December 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
Quote:
I'll be honest, I get a little annoyed by the whole "It's my right to do it in public" thing. There's no reason people can't have a little bit of modesty. I understand it being a wonderful, nurturing thing....I plan to do it. But I'll do it in private, and if I ever find myself needing to BF in public, I will definitely cover up and be discreet about it. While I completely agree it's your right, I don't think it needs to be forced down my throat. I pretty much have the same feelings about a lot of extreme views...why can't there be a compromise?[/b]

December 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be honest, I get a little annoyed by the whole "It's my right to do it in public" thing. There's no reason people can't have a little bit of modesty. I understand it being a wonderful, nurturing thing....I plan to do it. But I'll do it in private, and if I ever find myself needing to BF in public, I will definitely cover up and be discreet about it. While I completely agree it's your right, I don't think it needs to be forced down my throat. I pretty much have the same feelings about a lot of extreme views...why can't there be a compromise?[/b]

[/b]

December 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Jesse's_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse's_girl
I don't mind if moms breast feed in front of me with a blanket it doesn't bother me but when they are doing it with no covering I can get uncomfortable and will leave the area I am in. Yes it is a bonding experience but doesn't mean other want to see your boob plain as day. I will bf in a restroom if my baby is hungry but I will still cover up out of respect for others.
December 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

[/b]
Agreed!

December 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
adam*s_mami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I get a little uncomfortable when seeing BF, although I think it is a beautiful thing I dont particularly see it in other women in public all open, when she covers with a blanket I think it is fine...

December 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw a sig like that, i dont know if it was the same lady you saw but the pic i saw she had a kid on each side and i was a little taken a back at first. I understand its womens right to breastfeed and i think its great if its what you choose too do, but, i also feel like i should have the right to go to a store and not see somesones nip if i dont want too. That lady chooses to expose her body in the picture but i dont get the choice of whether or not to see that picture or see her boob when i walk into a restaraunt and shes sitting right there doing it. I dont think thats fair to me. Now if she had posted a link to a picture that was clearly labeled "me breastfeeding Kyle" and i clicked it, well then thats my own fault, but when i'm browsing around say, the nursery forum and then theres just boobies all over the place well i'm not a huge fan of that (yes i know you can turn off sig pictures but if i were going to do that then i've already seen the picture so the "harm" is done kwim?)

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search