I'm not sure what to do :/

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
ღ Tammy ღ's Avatar Veteran
If you have cats are any of them declawed? did you have it done or did you get them like that?

My Kitten (he'll be 5mths on the 27th) is really bad about scratching everything which I could live with, he is also very bad about scratching people and he'll out of no where jump out at you and claw you. I have been trying everything since he was about 7wks old(hes 21wks old now) to stop this and nothing has worked.

I've been thinking really hard about getting him declawed part of me wants to for the fact he wont be able to do that anymore and when we finally do have a baby he wont hurt it because we'd have to get rid of him if he did and i really dont want that to happen, the other part of me doesnt want to because well he was born with them and is supose to have them..and the procedure looks painful.

At the end of January/ beginning of February is when he'll be getting neutered and possibly declawed if I decide to.

I need help in deciding what I should or shouldnt do

December 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Chesky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know exactly how you feel!!! I had the same problem with a cat that we had back in Puerto Rico, and I didn't want to declaw him either. And somebody told me about this things they sell that you can put on the cats nails, the website is www.softpaws.com

I hope it helps it did for us...

December 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Quote:
I know exactly how you feel!!! I had the same problem with a cat that we had back in Puerto Rico, and I didn't want to declaw him either. And somebody told me about this things they sell that you can put on the cats nails, the website is www.softpaws.com

I hope it helps it did for us...[/b]
I never knew they made these!! I love the idea and colors! thanks

are they easy to apply? have you had any trouble with them?
Im really liking the thought of this rather putting him thru getting declawed

December 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
I have a declawed cat, and if I had it to do over again, I would never have declawed him. It's just so permanent. He can't ever go outside again. At the time it was a good idea because a totally inside cat fit with my life style, but now we live in a house and I would like him to be able to go out if he wanted to, but he can't because I am afraid he couldn't defend himself.

If your cat is scratching, try spraying it with a water bottle when he does something you disapprove of. He will get the hint and stop the behavior eventually.

December 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Quote:
I have a declawed cat, and if I had it to do over again, I would never have declawed him. It's just so permanent. He can't ever go outside again. At the time it was a good idea because a totally inside cat fit with my life style, but now we live in a house and I would like him to be able to go out if he wanted to, but he can't because I am afraid he couldn't defend himself.

If your cat is scratching, try spraying it with a water bottle when he does something you disapprove of. He will get the hint and stop the behavior eventually.[/b]
I've tried the spraying with water...hes very very determined its like nothing phases him.

Thats also another reason I dont want to do it because if he needs them he wont have em.

I think Im going to use the softpaws things, I dont want to take something away from him he might eventually need

December 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a declawed cat who was already declawed when we got her. Amazingly, she's not a biter. I've heard it's very common for declawed cats to turn into biters after having their claws removed.

My aunt had her cat declawed and it changed it's whole personality. Plus, we had to cat-sit while it was recovering and it was just so pitiful to watch.

I personally wouldn't do it unless it was the very last resort. Have you tried moth balls? Get the moth ball packets and place them around areas that you don't want him near. They can't stand the smell.

December 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Super Mommy
I am a veterinary technician, so i have seen hundreds of cats declawed. Really you have two options. The first one is to try 'soft paws' its basically a plastic nail that goes over their real nail that you glue on, it works pretty good, however it is temporary as the nail grows out, the soft paws will fall out.
..the second one is getting her declawed. It is a relatively simple procedure. There are a lot of people who are against it, but in everything i have seen i honestly would probably do it to my own cats if i had any. In most clinics they stay the night to monitor them. And most cats honestly don't seem very painful afterwords (i mean as much as we can tell). I am not going to lie...it is basically an amputation of the last digit in their paw, so i am sure it isn't pleasant, but you have to ask your self....get rid of the cat...or the claws.
The good part is that he is the PERFECT age to have it done. We tell everyone that if they are going to do it, to have it done when they are young...around five months of age. At this age they bounce back much better than when they get older and their bones get harder.
Let me know if you have any questions...
PS. I forgot to ask, is your cat an indoor or an ourdoor cat. If he is indoor than great, but if he is outdoor, i 100% say don't get it done. We won't even declaw a cat at all if we find out that they are indoor/outdoor.

December 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Chesky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
They are very easy to apply but you'll definitely need help from someone to hold the cat. And h/she'll get used to it pretty fast. They are like kind of plastic round nails that you put a little glue inside them and then put it on the cats nail. They are gonna come off by themselves (they last about 2 weeks) so you have to keep an eye on them. But besides that is pretty easy to use and they look cool B)

December 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Quote:
I am a veterinary technician, so i have seen hundreds of cats declawed. Really you have two options. The first one is to try 'soft paws' its basically a plastic nail that goes over their real nail that you glue on, it works pretty good, however it is temporary as the nail grows out, the soft paws will fall out.
..the second one is getting her declawed. It is a relatively simple procedure. There are a lot of people who are against it, but in everything i have seen i honestly would probably do it to my own cats if i had any. In most clinics they stay the night to monitor them. And most cats honestly don't seem very painful afterwords (i mean as much as we can tell). I am not going to lie...it is basically an amputation of the last digit in their paw, so i am sure it isn't pleasant, but you have to ask your self....get rid of the cat...or the claws.
The good part is that he is the PERFECT age to have it done. We tell everyone that if they are going to do it, to have it done when they are young...around five months of age. At this age they bounce back much better than when they get older and their bones get harder.
Let me know if you have any questions...
PS. I forgot to ask, is your cat an indoor or an ourdoor cat. If he is indoor than great, but if he is outdoor, i 100% say don't get it done. We won't even declaw a cat at all if we find out that they are indoor/outdoor.[/b]

Hes and indoor cat he never goes outside unless im holding him or if I sit him down but im always right next to him. Im just really scared that if one day he does get out and run away he wont have any way to protect his self.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
They are very easy to apply but you'll definitely need help from someone to hold the cat. And h/she'll get used to it pretty fast. They are like kind of plastic round nails that you put a little glue inside them and then put it on the cats nail. They are gonna come off by themselves (they last about 2 weeks) so you have to keep an eye on them. But besides that is pretty easy to use and they look cool B)
[/b]
Dh just got home a while ago I showed them to him, I think they look awesome and i wished they stayed on a lil longer but eh you cant be picky lol

December 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
I have 5 declawed cats. It is MY and DH's personal decision. I've been verbally attacked about it. And I don't care. I know what is the best for my cats. I tried everything to prevent them from scratching and nothing worked. I've tried the soft paws... it traumatized Angel so bad.. she had OCD on it and would bite on it all day long to get it off.. and when we tried to get it off her claws, it ACTUALLY ruined her claws cuz of glue. It's like trying to get your artifical nails off raw! it's like that!
My cats never turned into biters after they were declawed.

Tammy it's your decision. My cats are just fine. I do see my cats rub the corner of wall all the time... I thank God I don't have to deal with that if they actually had claws... I have my cats at my mom's.. and her kitchen walls are brand new.. and I caught my cats rub the corner... My mom would've killed me if that happened if they had claws!!!

December 25th, 2008, 12:47 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too am in the vet tech field - and I have worked in a clinic since I was 15. I can't tell you how many declaw surgeries I have been in on. 1000's im sure! It's such a simple procedure! Especially when your cat is young (which 5 months is a great age!) The surgery for a 4-paw declaw and a neuter takes like 20 minutes total. They have a little tool that just pulls the claw out and its done just as quick as they start. I have 4 cats - 2 are 4 paw declawed, 1 we got when he was 20 and he was way too old to go under anesthesia so we just trim his nails down to the quick with regular cat nail trimmers, and 1 is going to get spayed/declawed in January when she will be 7 months old.

I think declawing indoor cats is probably one of the best things a person can do (my opinion) because it lowers the risk of anyone (company, you, your child, etc) ever getting scratched and being bitter about it. Someone said they have heard it makes cats biters..but I have never heard of it, and none of my cats are biters - except the one who is getting declawed nex month she is a super play biter (blame DH!)

We tried soft paws, and like Aaron said, it was really traumatizing to our cats. They chewed on them, and my cat sassy literally rolled around on the ground and howled and was spazzing out badly until I took them off. They're similiar to putting on an acrylic nail in my opinion.

There is also some vets who will do a surgery - and it's like 245am and I can't think of the actual name of it...but they cut the tendons to the claws so the cat can't retract them. That might be an option for you - but in my opinion declawing them is much more humane.

declawing a cat is like cutting off the top of your finger...from your 2nd joint up to the end. They learn to adapt, and even if they get outside they don't really use their claws for anything other climbing - and I have seen my 4-paw declaw cat climb onto the roof of the garage because our dumb vizsla was chasing her! It's amazing what they can do even without their claws!

But this all being said, you have to really do what best fits your lifestyle, beliefs, etc. There are tons of people who believe declawing is inhumane and that is 100% their right to feel that way! So I say do some research before you make too many decisions

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 25th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
Just to clarify my point....I don't think it is a bad thing or inhumane or anything like that. I just know from my experience that life situations change and I wish my little guy could go outside and roam because he LOVES to be out more than anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search