Have you ever thought....

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone in here ever thought about cloth diapering or breastfeeding? I have been stalking other forums and after checking out about cloth diapering I think I am pretty serious about going this route once I conceive my bundle of trouble. I already know that I plan on breastfeeding as long as I can produce the milk.

But what is everyone's thoughts in here on the topic of cloth diapering and breast feeding? Do you know anyone who has done either? What has they said pros or cons?
February 18th, 2009, 01:01 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I, for sure, definately plan on breastfeeding for at least a year. Breastfeeding saves a lot of money! (I think it might even be a couple thousand for one year.) I'm not sure about the cloth diapers, though. I know my mom used them and didn't seem to mind them. I believe in some areas they have services that will come and collect the used ones and leave clean ones. I'm not sure how much that costs though. I know a few people who breastfeed and they don't seem to mind it. It can be tricky if you have to take a lot of breaks at work to pump. HTH!

February 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Veteran
I'm definitely with the beast feeding. For clothe diapers, it sounds great on paper but everyone I know who has tried has ended up quitting out of frustration. They leak more, and cause a ton more laundry. Of course, they ARE money savers... maybe. I wonder how much money you'd put in to soap and hot water...
February 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I am 100% set on doing both
February 18th, 2009, 06:13 AM
LivingAsSara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've thought about it! I'm 100% for breastfeeding, I really will try my absolute hardest to succeed as it's very important to me. The health benefits are the biggest with me.. I also look forward to that special bond. Plus, it's FREE.

Cloth diapering, however, is not really for me!

February 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Etph007's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I've thought about it! I'm 100% for breastfeeding, I really will try my absolute hardest to succeed as it's very important to me. The health benefits are the biggest with me.. I also look forward to that special bond. Plus, it's FREE.

Cloth diapering, however, is not really for me![/b]
I'm with Sara! I think it's great for those who do use cloth diapers... just not sure it'd be best for us.
February 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
~April04~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~April04~ Send a message via MSN to ~April04~
Quote:
I am 100% set on doing both[/b]
I already have a pretty awesome cloth diaper stash.

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggie!

February 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
LittleLady19's Avatar Laci
Send a message via MSN to LittleLady19
I will definately be breastfeeding. I thought about doing cloth diapering and brought it up to DH. But we both agreed that we can't see ourselves doing it. We might do cloth while we are at home and diapers when we are out but we'll see.

February 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't plan on cloth diapering but i 100% plan to breastfeed!

February 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Quote:
Quote:
I am 100% set on doing both[/b]
I already have a pretty awesome cloth diaper stash.
[/b]
I need to get a stash going, even though i planned to not buy anything until im actually pregnant i think this one could be an exception it would be quite a bit of money to put out all at once. Though i havent decided if i want to use AIO's or not....
February 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
kasey3's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

I completely agree with this!!

Thank you dizneenut for my gorgeous siggie!!

February 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan on breastfeeding as long as it works out. I do understand though that sometimes it doesn't and that would be ok.
As far as cloth diapering, I'm still undecided... DH isn't too big a fan, and I go back and forth, so I'm not sure!

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

February 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Crystal O_o's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I completely agree with this!!
[/b]

Same here.

Thank you ~Vicki~ for the wonderful signature.
Check out my etsy store for handmade boutique baby items http://MistyDaysBoutique.etsy.com
February 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to breastfeed up until about 6 months or first teeth. As far as diapers, we will be disposable.

My sister in law uses cloth diapers and she took a class in Austin about it and the one thing she told me was that a regular washing machine does not get hot enough to thoroughly clean the diaper pads. However, others on this board will debate that.....so I guess the only way to know for sure is to find a lab who will test it.

I personally do not like how bulky the diapers are...or at least how bulky my newphews are.

Edit: the place that my sis-n-law uses in Austin costs $21/month. They pick up the diapers and drop the clean folded ones off once a week. I only know the cost because I purchased a month for her as a baby shower gift. I think she has the basic plan and it goes up in price from there.

</div>
February 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to breastfeed for sure. My goal is 18 months. As for cloth diapering we are going to give it a try, but we will use disposables as well. My DH wasn't all for cloth diapering, but he knows that I want to try, so we will give it a go!!!

I need to start a stash too!!

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

February 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on giving breastfeeding a try.... and even then I think I will not BF exclusively, I would want to do bottle and BF, so others can also feed the baby, and I am not just a milkk machine.... just my opinion My bff tried for a couple weeks and was sooo depressed by not producing enough milk and needing to feed constantly, not knowing if she was getting enough, etc. So I am going in giving it a shot, but will not be devestated if it does not work out for us.
Cloth diapering, not for me at all......

February 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When i first heard about cding i was thinking the old school white ones that you have to fold and i was like omg that seems like a pain, but, the more i've heard about the mordern day ones i've thought about it more and more. I might try them for a little while then stock up if i decided i like it. I can't see buyinga bucn while pregnant before i'm sure ill keep up with it kwim?

As for breastfeeding, i dont know if ill do it. If anything i'll probably pump but i dont know about actual bf-ing. I know that sounds horrible but i dont think its for me.

February 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran
I definitely plan on breast feeding if I am able to. However, I think I might pump into bottles so I can monitor how much food the baby is getting, and so others can feed him/her. I might have to supplement formula sometimes though because I'm thalassemic. I think they say it causes you to make less milk. I guess time will tell.

I don't think cloth diapers are for me though. Sounds messy.
February 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM
tracyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to do both. DH is not sold on the CD though. I may have to work on him. My very good friend who is PG now is going to CD. I may watch and see how she fares and see if it is something I want to do.
February 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
bigplantnerd
I'm going to breastfeed as long as I can stand it after going back to work. I figure at least 6 months or so. Cloth diapering is something I will definitely try. I have a friend who does it and loves it, saves her buckets of money!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search