Where Were You When...

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought that this might be fun. I realize that we are all of different age groups and this is not meant to make anyone feel "old" or too "young".

I'm going to put down some major world events of the past 20 years, you tell us where you were when you heard about it (if you can remember exactly) or what you remember about it.

Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986)

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)

The (first) Gulf War (1991)

Oklahoma City bombing (1993)

Columbine Shootings (1999)

Y2K (2000)

Tsunami in Asia (2004)
May 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) 4th grade - we were watching it on tv.

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) Why do I remember this as happening in the 90s?

The (first) Gulf War (1991) - Freshman in high school and so scared.

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) - Senior in high school and didn't care because I was a senior in high school.

Columbine Shootings (1999) In grad schooll and so upset

Y2K (2000) Amsterdam!

Tsunami in Asia (2004) I hit when I was in Italy on vacation.

September 2009 IVF - BFN; November IVF -Ec topic Pregnancy; May 2010- IVF cycle- BFN,
July 2010 IVF cycle: BFP - m/c induced at 8 weeks because of no heartbeat
March 2011 IVF: BFP!!!
May 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) In my mothers belly about to be born! lol

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) I was 3 living in California with my parents!

The (first) Gulf War (1991) I was too young to know what was really going on here, I was in Kindergarten!

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) I actually remember this, and watching tv with my grandma in her living room!

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was in school (8th grade) gosh this was sooooooo sad. We were watching about it on tv in my current events class. I was soo scared of something like that happening at my school.

Y2K (200o) I was at my grandmas house celebrating the new year drinking sparkling grape juice! lol Me and my sis and my cousin cut up a bunch of construction paper to make confetti and my grandma was sooo irritated! It was a MESS! we were so mad when she made us sweep it up! I remember counting down and blowing our little horn things and checking all the neighbors houses to see if their power went out!

Tsunami in Asia (2004) I was at work!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

May 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986): Running around my grandparents' house being too little to know anything that was going on.

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989): Too young to understand

The (first) Gulf War (1991): In my grandma's bed praying for my cousin to not get deployed

Oklahoma City bombing (1993): Don't remember

Columbine Shootings (1999): At school. We watched stuff on the news about it. I used to be big into band in high school, and a lot of local bands and honor bands played this one remembrance piece composed for Columbine.

Y2K (2000): At a New Year's party with friends, getting drunk underage =)

Tsunami in Asia (2004): In Japan preparing to deploy in support of the humanitarian efforts. (Ended up not deploying, but staying back to be the person who received the videos/photos and distribute them to the news agencies.)

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

May 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Good idea!

Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was 5 yrs old.. i was at home.

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)in elem school?

The (first) Gulf War (1991) in elem

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) i remember this like yesterday in middle school i was in art class and we saw it on tv.

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was a senior in high school.. i remember it like yesterday seeing it on tv at school and i rushed home to watch the live news... first thing i saw on my tv was a boy student jumping out of window.

Y2K (2000) i was at mom's on the computer lol

Tsunami in Asia (2004) i was in indiana at home with dh lol

what about Sept 11, 2001? I remember it like yesterday.... i woke up 6:30am in my dorm room at college and turned NBC news on... and talked to my mom on MSN messenger.. then suddenly i saw plane going thru WTC and i freaked out and told mom LOOK AT THE NEWS NOW! i saw everything LIVE on tv.. so sad everything on campus were cancelled and we stayed in our dorm and watched tv alll day and night. and i spent entire day trying to contact my college friend who lived in same dorm.. he was on internship at the pentagon. he emailed me next day he was fine.

Last edited by ZaydensMomma; May 22nd, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
May 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) We were having lunch in school and a teacher came in and told us. None of us believed her.

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) I was at my friend's house who happened to have a German exchange student staying there. It was amazing to see someone who was directly affected by it.

The (first) Gulf War (1991) In high school - All of us reading the paper, not knowing what would happen - this was our first war.

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) At home studying for final exams. I watched CNN all day instead.

Columbine Shootings (1999) on my lunch break driving to get a hamburger. I missed the beginning and at first thought that the shootings had taken place in our city. I also remember that it was raining.

Y2K (2000) Sleeping - I made no preparations!

Tsunami in Asia (2004) On vacation in Mexico. We didn't hear the news until we got home the next day.
May 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Takinabreak
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was in third grade....but can't remember the exact moment. I remember watching about it on Punky Brewster of all things

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) This I don't remember at all

The (first) Gulf War (1991) I was in 7th grade, wearing all my flag attire and peace signs

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) I was a freshman at high school

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was at work, at a beachside hotel watching it unfold on the tv

Y2K (200o) I was at an enormous concert in the Everglades! Best (non) disaster ever!

Tsunami in Asia (2004) I was in college. My BF at the time was trying to get over there to help with the relief efforts, but his school schedule wouldn't allow it
May 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
OH I forgot to add... Columbine high school shooting, the male teacher who was shot and died..he was from my hometown.

kimberley, the okla bombing happened april 19 1995 not 93

Last edited by ZaydensMomma; May 22nd, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
May 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Em2528's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wasnt born yet for some of these, or I was a toddler so wouldnt know where I was...but as terrible as it sounds, I cant remember where I was for almost any of these. For Columbine I think I was in school that day. I know this isnt one of the questions but ill never forget 9/11 I was home sick from school that day, my Mom had stayed home with me and I was upstairs in my parents room in bed watching it on tv...my Mom was downstairs cleaning and I ran to the banister that overlooked our living room from the upstairs hallway and we were just shocked!

................. .
.................................................. ..
May 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Brandiwine77's Avatar Waiting on God's Time
Send a message via AIM to Brandiwine77
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was in 3rd grade and we were watching it on TV when it happened. And I remember we just sat there in shock and disbelief.

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) I was in 7th grade, and I remember watching it on TV, and seeing the people celebrate.

The (first) Gulf War (1991) The actual ground war started on my b'day, Aug. 2, and I would be going into the 9th grade. I remember this clearly because we were spending basically every evening with my uncle because my Aunt was being deployed. (she was a nurse and in the National Guard)

Oklahoma City bombing (1995)--it was 95 not 93 It was my senior year of high school. It was a Wednesday. I was sitting at home watching TV. I was home because my Dad had just died the Saturday before that, and we had just had his funeral, and I was going back to school the next day. I remember watching it and crying for all the children and people who died.

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was going through a divorce, and I was at work. I worked in a furniture store, so we had a TV on, and was shocked when it came on TV.

Y2K (2000) I had moved to South Carolina after my divorce was final, and spent the night hanging out with lots of my family.

Tsunami in Asia (2004) I was in college and doing some student teaching when I heard about it.

May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was three years old, didn't learn about it for many years

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) I was six, if I heard about it, I don't remember.

The (first) Gulf War (1991) I was eight, and I remember it being on TV and my mom saying we were in a war.

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) I was ten, and I remember it was very, very sad. I remember our teachers talking about it a lot, and I remember seeing the videos and pictures and being angry it happened.

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was 16. I remember it was very scary, because only a few months prior there was a school shooting. I was in a peer mediation class that quarter, and a lot of my friends wore trench coats. I argued with a guy in that class who said wearing trench coats is a warning sign that someone isn't right in the head. Trench coats were banned that year in school. Our school had a instated a hotline within the month where you could call and give anonymous information about possible school shootings. I wrote an editorial in our paper about that, and how it could be used to target unpopular students through fear or bullying.

Y2K (2000) I was 16, going on 17. I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.

Tsunami in Asia (2004) I was 21. I don't remember much about it, other than seeing it in the news.

May 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Jarheadwed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emg2528 View Post
I wasnt born yet for some of these, or I was a toddler so wouldnt know where I was...but as terrible as it sounds, I cant remember where I was for almost any of these. For Columbine I think I was in school that day. I know this isnt one of the questions but ill never forget 9/11 I was home sick from school that day, my Mom had stayed home with me and I was upstairs in my parents room in bed watching it on tv...my Mom was downstairs cleaning and I ran to the banister that overlooked our living room from the upstairs hallway and we were just shocked!
I will never forget where I was for 9/11. I was a senior in high school, but I was doing my senior year at college as part of the PSEO program. My mom called me at home, while I was getting ready for class. I turned on the tv, and sat down and watched in shock. I cried. I went to school, and no one was in class, they were all gathered in the commons and watching the news. Many people were angry, many were crying. Everyone looked shocked and scared. My grandma worked at the gov't building in Minneapolis, they were evacuated. We have a World Trade Center in Minneapolis, that was evacuated, and I think the Mall of America was too.

That night I had a night class, and the teacher came into the room, took attendance, and said the school would not allow night classes to be cancelled. He said there was a presidental address starting in an hour on TV. He then said he was going to leave the room for five minutes and when he came back, he would not take attendance again.

I was also in an acting class. The director of that class made our mandatory final class project about 9/11. He thought it was a great way to show "American spirit and pride." He based it on "the Grinch Who Stole Christmas." Yes, that's right- to pass the class, we had to reenact 9/11 in Seuss-style. It was awful. Several kids dropped the class, but because I was there on a high school program, I had to participate or risk not graduating. To this day I still think it was offensive and inappropriate. I didn't even invite my parents to the showing of it, I was too embarrassed. I played an airplane, because I was only 105 pounds and could be lifted easily.

May 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nicole View Post
kimberley, the okla bombing happened april 19 1995 not 93
oh no! Google failed me! Sorry about that!
May 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was 2...so there is not telling

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) probably in Kindergarten

The (first) Gulf War (1991) I was in first grade and I do remember this. We made a mural and i got my picture in the newspaper

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) I remember this too...fifth grade

Columbine Shootings (1999) I was a freshman in high school, i remember this was very scary. There were a lot of bomb threats and such that year.

Y2K (2000) yeah, this was nuts. Walmart was out of everything!! I would have been a sophomore.

Tsunami in Asia (2004) moving to college, i remember a little about this but really only remember being sad for those people

I remember 9/11 so well. I was in PALS when we got the news, it was my Sr. year of HS. We went on through the day watching TV and then I left early and went to my job ( think it was payday) and i remember there were just lines and lines at gas stations and everywhere i went people were watching the news. That was a HORRIBLE day.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!

Last edited by jensma; May 22nd, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
May 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
denalibear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) We were watching it in elementary school...I remember my teacher turning off the TV right after it exploded

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) Middle school - we had been talking about how the Iron Curtain was about to fall...

The (first) Gulf War (1991) Highschool - I wrote letters to the troops

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) I thought it was in 1995 b/c I was in college - our church sent members to go help with the clean up

Columbine Shootings (1999) teaching - scared me to death I was really glad I was teaching elementary

Y2K (2000) - New Year's Eve that year was CRAZY!!!!! Everyone was afraid to go anywhere...I went to a huge party downtown and that is all I remember

Tsunami in Asia (2004)[/QUOTE] - DH and I picked up my engagement ring the day after Christmas...we were watching it on the TV... it was so sad

May 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Holly15's Avatar Veteran
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) I was in 1st grade, we were watching on tv

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) I was in 4th grade, again I think we had the tv on , but for some odd reason I remember the challenger better

The First Gulf War (1991) 6th grade, we didn't do much work that day, but looked at the newspaper and CNN

OKC bombing (1995) I was in high school and don't remember. The sad thing is I live in the state now and EVERYONE here remembers where they were of course

Y2K (2000) Was at a symphony concert with a date, then "ditched" him and went to a party with my friends after!

Tsunami in Asia (2004) DH (DF at the time) and I watched it on tv--couldn't believe it

May 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986) - in 3rd grade...my dad came and picked me up after school, and he was really mad that my school hadn't told me about it...I cried the whole way home...

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989) - ahh, I don't remember this - but I should...I was in 8th grade...

The (first) Gulf War (1991) - 9th grade...my dad said that war had started, and I should come out and watch...

Oklahoma City bombing (1993) - this was actually 1995, I was in college, and my friend called and said to turn on the tv...

Columbine Shootings (1999) - at dinner at this place called Farrah's with Matt and his mom...all the TVs were tuned to it...

Y2K (2000) - we got engaged on New Years Eve - 1999 We were in New Hampshire at a beautiful bed and breakfast, sitting by the fire watch the fireworks in the distance.

Tsunami in Asia (2004) - in North Carolina at another bed and breakfast...we didnt have a tv in our room, but got online to check email, and found out, so tragic...

Should add in 9/11 - that one was the one I remember the most...I woke up to Matt's grandma calling us and telling us to turn on the tv and that something aweful had happened...I sat there drooling for the next three days...I just couldnt believe it...
May 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I thought that this might be fun. I realize that we are all of different age groups and this is not meant to make anyone feel "old" or too "young".

I'm going to put down some major world events of the past 20 years, you tell us where you were when you heard about it (if you can remember exactly) or what you remember about it.

Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes (1986)
only 2 years old I have no idea. =0 (

The Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)
Possibly in kindergarten

The (first) Gulf War (1991)
1st grade
Oklahoma City bombing (1993)

Columbine Shootings (1999)
I know this one! I was at school! in 9th grade

Y2K (2000)
lying on my mom's floor watching the ball drop

9/11
First day of my senior year in high school. when the first plane hit I was getting ready for "0" period.

Tsunami in Asia (2004)[/QUOTE]
Living in Hawaii, in the dorms... my friend's gf lived in Thailand but she was okay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search