Do you tell????

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have read many posts about how a lot of you aren't telling anyone you are TTC.
So, I just thought it would be neat to know...

Have you told anyone you are TTC?
Who?
Why/Why not?
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

May 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you told anyone you are TTC? Yes
Who? We have told our parents, a few close friends, and a few relatives. Well, mainly I have told them. DH hasn't really told anyone. But he knows I have told people.
Why/Why Not? My dad was the main reason I decided to spill the beans. He has been making comments to my mom and me for a while about how he is ready to be a grandpa. So, I just thought he would be so excited to know we are actually TTC. Then, if I told him, I had to tell my mom. And if I told my mom, I had to tell my in-laws. Because word gets around, if you know what I mean. And it just went from there. Initially, my plan was just for our parents to know. But my family talk and when the word got to my aunt, she is a blabbermouth...so...you know how that goes too.
But I don't regret telling. And really, no one really asks us if we are PG yet or not, the only person that has asked is my blabbermouth aunt. LOL And I just tell her, nooo, not yet!
So...it hasn't been a bad experience that I spilled the beans.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

May 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Em2528's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A couple people know we are and the ONLY reason they know is because they know we have lost so many babies...so obviously they know we have been trying and that ive been pg. I really dont talk much about stuff with them though because its personal and I dont want to talk about it all the time plus I dont want our personal stuff being gossiped about.

................. .
.................................................. ..
May 22nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Have you told anyone you are TTC? We have not
Who? No one
Why/Why not? We decided not to tell anyone, we decided they will know when it happens this time was between us didnt want anyone to try and tell us how haha
May 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I told DH's sister and his parents know but that's about it. Honestly don't really want to say anything to too many people. We would rather wait until I am actually pregnant! I know how my mom and grandmother are and it would be 20 questions every day if they knew we were TTC, so going to hold off on that one! I don't think any of our friends know (well if they do they haven't said anything).
May 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
celebr8's Avatar Veteran
We haven't told anyone. I feel like it will be easier for me in case it takes a long time or never happens for us. I also don't want my parents asking about it all the time and I know they would! I kind of like that no one else knows ~ I feel like it's something special just between DH and I.

May 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Takinabreak

Who? My best friend and my youngest brothers GF

Why/Why Not? I chose to tell my best friend because she's my best friend! She knows almost everything about me, and just recently had her second daughter. I need someone I can talk to!

My brothers gf....now thats a totally different story: On New Years Eve, DH and I got completely hammered. She mentioned something about my other younger brother and his wife would probably have a baby soon and I guess in my ignorant, drunken state, I said "NO!!! I'M going to be the FIRST!" So a few weeks afterward she mentioned that 'conversation'. I apologized and told her that I was obviously wasted and that DH and I were starting to ttc, and swore her to secrecy.

Everyone else we're not telling: I want it to be a total surprise for my parents. They have no grandchildren other than my step-daughter. My inlaws: I don't want them thinking my difficulty ttc is due to me being a vegetarian. I hear enough about my dietary choices from them. Everyone else: I dont want them asking me all the time and having to disappoint with no news
May 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Brandiwine77's Avatar Waiting on God's Time
Send a message via AIM to Brandiwine77
Who? Basically everybody knows.
Why/Why not? AFter the first year, and the fact that I am 31 going on 32, everybody was asking constantly. So everybody knows, and the smart ones don't ask unless I bring it up, lol. (The one exception is a friend who can't have kids, and everytime we go somewhere and see cute baby stuff, she says something like 'when are you going to have us a baby?' And she knows all we have been through, ugh)

May 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Who? My parents and a couple of our best friends.

Why/Why Not? I tell my mom everything and my dad overheard us talking about it, so we told him too. We also told a couple of our best friends because they are a good support system for us who we can trust won't tell anyone else.

TTC #2
May 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
~*Jackie*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Mom knows (we're very close and she also dealt with infertility after me), 2 of my best friends know, and 2 coworkers know-- actually my 2 bosses know as well as I didn't want them to get suspicious from missing work for u/s's and b/w and RE appts.

I had a feeling it might take a while to get pregnant (although I didn't think it'd take THIS long), so I want to keep the element of surprise (for my IL's and Dad, etc.), but as time goes on, I feel like I need their support so I might be saying something soon.. perhaps around our anniversary in October, since we always said we'd start trying at 5 years marriage (shhh)..

Thank you brie_91 for this fabulous siggy!!
Our TTC journey: 6 cycles Clomid, lap surgery/ D&C, IUI, 2 x IVF; 33 cycles- BFN.
IVF#1 (March 2010) Transferred two 8-cell grade A (perfect) embies- BFN and heartbroken.

IVF#2/FET#1 (Jan/Feb 2011):Transferred two (7&8 cell) grade A (PERFECT) embies- BFN again.
March 2011- February 2012: On BCP due to endometriosis.

March 2012- taking a few months off of BCP and we are TTC naturally.
We will re-evaluate another IVF w/FET try in 2013.

May 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Who? A few close friends

Why/Why not? I also told them about my loss. Sometimes you need to talk to someone IRL (or at least know that they are thinking about you).
May 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
I told WAY too many people...because I never imagined it would be so hard. I mean I knew it wouldn't happen the first time, but a year??? sigh...word of advice to anyone starting...ONLY TELL THE PEOPLE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!! Or no one at all...if I could go back 14 months...

May 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
denalibear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have not told anyone

I dont want to hear the question every month..."are ya pregnant yet?"

May 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Holly15's Avatar Veteran
We told a few close friends, and luckily they don't bring it up unless we do (which we RARELY do) I also told my co-workers. I see them everyday and many of them just had babies and 2 of them are PG right now--so it's good to bounce questions off them. They've been supportive.

May 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Have you told anyone you are TTC? No we have not told anyone we are trying again in June.
Who? No one
Why/Why not?

We TTC last time without telling anyone... we got a BFP and told our family and closest friends. Then we lost the baby. It's been somewhat embarrassing and torture since 3 people in our wedding got pregnant at the same time.. oly one of those couples was married.. all 3 babies were accidents.... anyway long story short, we don't want to tell anyone (1) in case it never happens for us, (2) to avoid awkwardness and judgement at all costs, and (3) because many people still insist that we're too "young". I'm almost 25 and DH is almost 27.. we're ready for it and we know it.

May 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Veteran
We have only told my mom directly, but everyone else assumes we are trying since DH and I both love kids and my life revolves around them (I am a preschool teacher and I have worked in childcare for several years) and everyone is always asking if we're pregnant yet.
May 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Shaylyn's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Shaylyn Send a message via Skype™ to Shaylyn
Have you told anyone you are TTC? Nope
Who? No one
Why/Why not?
I don't want to hear the "are you pregnant yet" "have you gotten your period yet"BLAHBLAHBLAH. And the "you need to wait until your out of school." And I if it doesn't happen soon, I don't want peoples advice about how I should be doing it, and the comments on whats wrong with us, they didn't have any problems, they just had to look at their SO and got pregnant. UGH!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search