What is.....

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one thing your inlaws do that bothers you? And how do you handle it.

- - - - - - - - -

DHs stepdad sometimes talks to me like a child...and his mother occaisonally likes to play the "I've done this before, so I know what I'm talking about" card, and it irritates me.

I just ignore them and pretend I don't notice it. When I do bring it up to dh, we ususally laugh about it and make jokes AND....dh will needle me and be like "if you weren't a blond, he wouldn't have to...." or "we'll you only got your masters, stupid..."

I guess it is not a big deal, but it does irk me sometimes!

Last edited by MommaLee; June 10th, 2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: left out a word
June 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM
denalibear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we first got engaged it was a little rough but now we get along fine. And it helps that we only see them a 2 or 3 times a year. We spend more time with my family when we are in town.

June 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My MIL competes to be, what feels like, his wife! For instance, I mentioned in passing that I am going to try and plan a surprise birthday for DH since it's his 30th coming up and now every time I see her she tells me she wants to have a party at her new house and have it catered and what not. And it's like, "umm hello, you knew I already planned on doing that!"

It happens with a lot of things and it can be extremely frustrating. Not to mention she is lonely and likes to talk about everyones business when DH and I are very private about things. She went and told her sister and DH's cousins about personal business and now even DH said he doesn't feel like he can talk to his OWN mother about private things - so he calls my mom!
June 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
angel3y35's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see or talk to my inlaws very often. The one thing that really did bother me happened a few months ago. She came over to visit us and we ended up spending about 2000 dollars because she didn't pay for anything. We flew to Dublin and she didn't pay us back for her ticket. It was only about 120 dollars but still. She didn't pay for her hotel room in Dublin either. Then we took a train to Amsterdam. She didn't pay for that or the hotel room there. The meals we ate out we paid for most of. We also got the IAMSTERDAM card and Tour Dublin cards which were 60 euros per person for each city. we paid for those too. and now she wants to come visit again for Thanksgiving. DH tried explaining to her that we won't have the money and she says oh it's ok I can pay for my own. Plus we are having all our stuff packed and shipped around the 20th so she would be sleeping on the floor. I don't think a 63 year old woman wants to do that.

Thanks to :shortcake: for my siggy

Our adoption miracle born 12/31/13

06/2004 - Lap for endo and cysts
08/2006 - Lap for endo and cysts
02/2010 - Lap for endo, cysts, and hydrosalpinx repair
02/2011 - Lap for endo, cysts, and RSO
12/2011 - TAH and LSO
5/2012 - Lap for adhesions
4/2013 - Lap for adhesions
Stage IV endometriosis, sever adenomyosis, PCOS, IC
June 10th, 2009, 01:01 PM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
I don't think they give DH enough credit sometimes. They put so much focus on his sister's 'mistakes' and her kids. It bothers me and I know it bothers him.
I always try to tell him how proud of him I am and support his decisions.

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
June 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
MY MIL (i do love her dearly) but she is always up our business, like a bit too much and when she does talk to me(about anything) she is like 3 inches from my face...i have this thing with "personal space" and she def enters it. haha...but if that is as bad as it gets, i guess i am ok....
(but she does mention EVERYTIME i see her "well, its y'alls turn for babies" or "you look good with a baby" etc....little does she know we are trying our hardest. But if she knew she would be calling me every month on day 28 and asking if i am prego)

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

June 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My IL's always contradict me. It's at the point now that I rarely speak around them (what's the point if they don't listen anyway?).
June 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
snsgirl336's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my in-laws to pieces and I get along with them very well, but sometimes their lack of communication astounds me. They will call DH and I and ask what the other person said they'd do/see/eat/say etc. Um, Hello... you guys are in the same house and we live 60 miles away how should we know?

Thank you Natalie for my beautiful Siggie!!!

June 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My MIL hates my FIL (they are divorced) and constantly talks about him - it scares me how angry she is about it (even 20 years after the divorce!) and it really puts my DH in an awkward position also...
June 11th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
My MIL is always asking us about money... How much did that cost? How much did this cost? Where did ye get the money for that? How are ye able to afford this with with a mortgage to pay etc... It's gets to the stage if we buy anything new I say it was a present or on sale or make up something b/c it's easier...

[SIZE="3"]

June 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
ashnichole2326's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ashnichole2326
My MIL is a liar, and she steals...like a clepto or something. She also abuses her CRAZY meds. And she always bothers ME instead of her 3 kids with any and every problem she ever has. HaHa! I could go on and on about her. I just try to stay away as much as possible unless she really needs me or something. I've only went off on her one time when she basically stole my truck.

My FIL hates me because he is a manipulator and I can see right through him. lol. He tried to get me to disown Jerrod's mother which I wouldn't mind doing, but obviously can't...and since I didn't just cut her off, he made up a bunch of crap about me and no longer speaks to me...he tried to get Jerrod to leave me pretty much and it didn't work! Ha!

Basically Jerrod is one of few good people in his family. I don't know how he came from them.

Thanks GraysMama for my beautiful new siggy!
June 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
I have it easy. MY family is the crazy bunch. DH's family is wonderful. There's not a single one of my in-laws who I don't trust and adore. My own family, however, is a bunch of flakes, liars, crazies and alcoholics. Guess DH is the one who should be posting on this thread

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

June 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Ash
I absolutely love my inlaws. I have no complaints.

June 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebroche View Post
My MIL is always asking us about money... How much did that cost? How much did this cost? Where did ye get the money for that? How are ye able to afford this with with a mortgage to pay etc... It's gets to the stage if we buy anything new I say it was a present or on sale or make up something b/c it's easier...
Not my mil..but MY MOTHER always ask me that questions you just stated! OMG I'm like get off my case!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped telling her what I have bought unless it was really important that I want to show off... I prepare myself her question how we afford it. LOL

My MIL is awesome..but she lets people walk over her... my SIL uses MIL for babysitting and money... but when MIL gives us money (she always spoils James and I end up say no we don't need your money but end up keeping it lol), SIL gets mad at us. LOL

my sil thinks we should go over to her house.. but she never comes over to visit us. I'm like can't we take turns?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search