Q's I prob should have asked earlier

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi guys,

Ok, I've got some questions here that I should probably already know the answers to before I started TTC but I don't.

My cycles run b/w 31-35 days. How many days do you ovulate for in a cycle?

I've been monitoring my CM and am aware of the different stages, but what stages come first? I had read on a post somewhere that the EWCM is a good indication that you are O, but that you really only O a few days after you get this type of CM. I'm also assuming that your CM and your CP are co-related?! I have never checked my CP, but I'm guessing on this: is it low when you are O? B/c sometimes during O, BD'ing can be a bit painful...perhaps uncomfortable is a better word. Sorry, maybe TMI there.

And honestly, I think we're BD'ing too much! I mean, I know some ppl would say "It's never too much" but for a couple really TTC, at what point should you start to BD? I know it's around O, but like what...3, 5, 7 days before?

Hopefully some of you will be able to help clear things up for me.
Thanks!

March 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I'm still kind of an amateur myself! When you are to O you CM is supposed to be like egg whites, and your CP should have it high and open. I have 27 day cycle and I start getting the CM by the CD 13 and it lasts for about3 or 4 days like this. But we Bd during this time, right before this time and after this time. We Normally take about 3 days off before I am getting ready to O. I just read that its a good idea.
So this is just an example of what I did this cycle, I started getting the egg white CM late last night, but I knew it would come around then, so we BD'd Tuesday, then not again until tonight, then will tomorrow and not again until Monday. So it was two days before that we started.
Sorry I really don't have answers! But most stuff I have just read in articles on the internet and stuff!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

March 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here Angela I found this for you:

Predicting Ovulation by Looking at Cervical Position

In predicting fertility, observing the position of the cervix (located at the lower part of the uterus) can be very instructive. Like cervical fluids, the position and "feel" of the cervix will undergo measurable, tangible change during a woman's menstrual cycle.

By examining your cervix, you can learn to predict ovulation and increase your chances of getting pregnant. If you are fertility charting, then by recording your cervical position changes, you can establish another coordinate for determining your most fertile time.

Examining Cervical Changes

When conducting any self-exam, make sure that your hands are clean. As with ovulation testing and BBT charting, examination of the cervix should take place at the same time every day. Gently insert one or two fingers into your vagina - and by reaching back you should be able to feel your cervix. During the exam, ask yourself the following questions (but remember, it make take time to "learn" about your body - the positions and feel of your cervix throughout your cycle).

Is the position of the cervix relatively low (easy to reach) or high (less easy to reach)?
Does the cervix feel relatively soft or firm?
Does the opening of the cervix feel open or closed?
Is the cervix dry to the touch - or relatively moist - or very moist?
Prior to ovulation - during the first half of your cycle, the cervix will feel relatively firm (like touching your nose) and dry to the touch - and the position of the cervix will be low in your vagina (easy to reach). The entrance of the cervix will feel closed.

However, as you approach ovulation, the cervix will become increasingly soft and will increasingly moisten in order to create a more fertile environment for the sperm. The entrance of the cervix will feel open and begin to lift. At the highest point, the cervix may be a bit difficult to reach and the entrance of the cervix will increase in size. The feel of your cervix will be softer - like touching your lip. At this point, you are at your most fertile time.

Following ovulation, the cervix begins to return to a firmer state and the entrance will begin to close. Also, the position of the cervix will again drop and become easy to reach.

These changes in cervical position can be monitored and recorded, augmenting fertility charting and helping you pinpoint your window of opportunity for conceiving.

Cervical Mucus Analysis in Ovulation Prediction

The presence and tactile consistency of a woman's cervical fluid undergoes a number of changes during her menstrual cycle. By observing changes in cervical fluid, a woman can predict ovulation - her most fertile time for conceiving a baby.

One of the purposes of cervical mucus - during the fertile period - is to sustain sperm in a healthy medium, to allow sperm to move freely through the cervix. Logically, there will be an increase in cervical mucus at ovulation, as well as a change in texture - the mucus becoming more pliable, "stretchable", and slippery.

Using clean fingers, or if you prefer, toilet paper, you can examine your cervical fluid. Prior to ovulation, during non-fertile periods, the woman will experience a dryness (or lack of cervical mucus). Gradually, as the woman approaches ovulation, the mucus will increase, though the consistency will be "sticky" and the color will be white, yellow, or cloudy in nature.

Directly prior to ovulation, cervical fluid will increase greatly, and now the mucus will be semi-transparent, slippery, with the consistency of "raw egg white". This is your most fertile period and ovulation will take place at about this time.

Below you will find an overview of the changes that will take place in your cervical fluid throughout your cycle.

Pre-Ovulation

Following the menstrual period, there is a feeling of dryness. There will be no visible mucus. Gradually, more mucus will accumulate - yellow, cloudy, or white in color and sticky to the touch.

Approaching Ovulation

As you approach ovulation, your cervical mucus will increase. First, there will be a moistness or stickiness to the mucus, as well as a white or cream-colored appearance.

During Ovulation

At ovulation, the quantity of mucus will increase greatly and the appearance will resemble "egg whites", often semitransparent. The texture will become increasingly slippery and 'stretchable'. This is your most fertile time.

Following Ovulation

Following ovulation, the slippery quality of the cervical mucus will decrease and the mucus will become sticky and cloudier. Post-ovulatory dryness will also ensue.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

March 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Regular
Okay thank you to the above writer. By reading everything that you wrote, i see that I do understand my CM.
March 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Kat,

Wow! Thanks so much for that information. It was very helpful!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search