Jlock126 - Your Avatar!

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Hey, Jenn. Just wondering if your avatar is a wedding photo and if you had a beach wedding? It's a lovely photo (even when small).

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
September 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM
JLock126's Avatar Expecting #1
Thanks. It is a photo of me and the DH on our wedding day. We married in Cancun, Mexico. We stayed at the Sun Palace and had our wedding at the Playacar Palace. Fantastic. The ceremony was held on the balcony and we took photos on the beach, all around the resort, and the balcony area.

I won the trip to Mexico through a radio show here in NC. There's a whole story behind how it all worked out.

We've been married 3 years & 4 months. I'm a lucky gal to have such a wonderful hubby.

September 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
How amazing! So did you win the trip and then decide to get married there? Or was the trip a whole wedding package?

We got married on a beach, too. Our was in Maui on 5/4/06. We have a wedding photo that similar to your avatar, looking longingly into each others eyes, with the ocean in the background.

We were planning a five-year anniversary trip back there, but our actual anniversary date was bad timing this year. So we're heading back there late November/early December instead (thanks to frequent flier miles). Just booked our hotel yesterday. So I had beaches on my mind and thought I'd ask about your avatar.

September 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Beach/destination weddings can be so lovely. We really enjoyed it. You guys are going to have so much fun on your return trip.

I won the trip almost a year before we took it. I was in college (went back to college in my late 20's) and was planning to take the trip after I graduated. I booked the trip 60 days prior to leaving. After Calvin proposed, he mentioned getting married on the trip, totally up to me of course. I was so excited because I NEVER wanted to plan a wedding nor did I want a long engagement. (I have two sisters, both married, both had long drawn out engagements and large weddings.)

Here's the kicker....the resort was offering free wedding services for small group weddings as a promotion. Since it was just the two of us going, we scheduled the promo. Our only expense was the attire, video, and photos.

It was fabulous. Some people ask if I missed having any family there...and looking back, I wish they had been there but it wasn't an option. I also wish we had a cake. When we hit 5 years, we are going to make a return trip, hopefully some friends and family will be able to come, and we will have cake!

September 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wow, our situations are so similar. I have two sisters, too. Only one had a big wedding. The other has had a long, drawn-out engagement, and I honestly don't know when (or if) they're ever going to get married.

When William (my DH) proposed, we contemplated having a big wedding back home for about ten minutes, and then we decided to elope instead. It wasn't exactly eloping because it was planned and we told our families. At the risk of anyone feeling left out, though, we just told them that they were all going to be left out. It was the most perfect wedding in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I even worked with a wedding planner on the island, so I hardly had to think about any of the details.

The one thing we decided to spend a lot of money on was the photographer. We figured if our families and friends couldn't be there, we were going to get some beautiful photos to document the occasion. We probably spent way too much, but we seriously have awesome wedding photos, and I made photo books for each of our parents. I do kind of wish they could have been there, but the day was so much more special because it was 100% focused on us and no one else.

Your five-year anniversary trip sounds awesome. Let them eat cake!

September 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Wow...how crazy is that...so similar. You wouldn't happen to be a middle child would you? hahaha

Your wedding sounds wonderful. You'll never regret splurging on the pics. We would have if I hadn't been a recent poor college grad. We did the best we could and got great pics.

We discussed having a local wedding for about two weeks b.c we weren't sure we would be able to book a wedding with less then 60 days notice. Winning a trip limits you to how early you can book the trip (60 days out max) or if you will even get the requested dates. I had to put in two dates. We were lucky and got our first choice. Then he proposed, then asked about marrying on the trip, then we called to book the wedding and had to wait for them to confirm availability; i.e. another kind of TWW hahaha. But it worked out thankfully b.c that was the most stressful two weeks of my life. I just don't have it in me to plan a wedding.

Your trip sounds so great. Would be nice if you had a little bun in the oven to take along with you too

September 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
This is freakin' me out. Yes, I am a middle child!

About the splurging on pics, I bet yours are awesome, too. The cool thing about getting married in an exotic location is that it's next to impossible to not have amazing photos. The backdrop of the beach and clear blue skies pretty much makes your wedding photos better than 90% of others. And how awesome to have anniversary trips in the same gorgeous place? I sometimes think about vow renewals down the line and being able to have family present (kind of cheesy, though).

Bun in the oven for our trip would be AMAZING! I would even have an excuse not to look svelte in a two-piece.

(Mid-day update, by the way, still no AF. And I am more nauseous today than I've been during this whole 2WW. I am so anxious to know one way or the other!)

September 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
MIDDLE CHILDREN ROCK!!

Anniversary trips to Mexico or Maui sound sooo great. Makes me even more excited for your trip.

Thanks for the update. I'm getting so for you! OMG...I keep rechecking JM. Got to get some work done haha.

Do you sisters have kids? My older sis has a son, 8. My younger sis has a son, 7, and a bun in the oven.

Last edited by JLock126; September 26th, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
September 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
My younger sister has a 6-year-old son. My older sister has two girls: 8 and 10 years old. They think of me as the cool aunt. I think it's mainly because I'm from California and only get to see them a couple times each year. The novelty, you know? I also don't really treat them like kids, and I always make special time for just them and me to hang out. I suspect they won't think I'm so cool once I have a baby of my own.

I also have three stepbrothers (my mom re-married when I was 12... real-life Brady Bunch). And they all have children, too. So I am really the odd man out at family gatherings.

My mom just about broke my heart last year when she made a casual comment about me just not wanting kids. I had never told her that I didn't want children. I guess she just assumed since I was already "in my 30s" that I didn't want them. DH and I were just waiting for the best time. We are so much more financially stable now than at any point in our lives, we own our home, and we've matured over the years as a couple. We just weren't ready until now. And I also have to tell her than 32 isn't exactly an old lady!

Now get back to work!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search