What have you cut out?

Forum: Trying to Conceive Your First Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive Your First Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies,

Just wondering what you have cut out of your diet/lifestyle or cut back on in order to help you ttc in a healthier way. And, what is your view on alcohol while ttc?

I used to smoke, but I've been smoke free for two years now. I've also cut back on my caffeine intake. Basically any kind of coffee I decide to drink is decaf. I'm still drinking black tea, but it doesn't have nearly as much caffeine as coffee does. I've also been doing some reading on green tea and how the antioxidants can supposedly help in producing healthier eggs. However mixed the reviews are on green tea, I think I'd like to start drinking at least one cup of that a day too.
As far as alcohol goes, I'm still drinking it and I will drink it up until I get my BFP. I don't drink every day, so I don't feel guilty about a glass of beer or wine here or there.

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in

Last edited by ohfiddleheads; October 7th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
October 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I've cut out alcohol entirely, except for each time AF arrives. I've been in no mood to do much of anything the past couple of days, but I told DH I'm going to enjoy a couple of my favorite beers this weekend (Deschutes Black Butte Porter)! He doesn't drink at all, so it makes it easier for me to abstain in general.

I've also cut out caffeine almost entirely. I only drink decaf coffee now, and that's not even daily. That was my biggest adjustment. I stopped caffeine back in June when we first started TTC. TMI alert... it has been a big adjustment for my GI system. I am not nearly as regular as I used to be. I must admit, though, that I do have chocolate from time to time. I just can't give that up, but it has very little caffeine compared to what my intake used to be.

I really wish I liked green tea, but I just don't. I do drink a cup of peppermint tea almost every evening, though.

I guess those are the biggest TTC adjustments I've made. In general, I eat very healthy and exercise regularly, so that's not been a problem. Actually, I've increased my calorie intake and decreased my exercise regimen since I started TTC because I was right on the cusp of being underweight before we started TTC. Now I'm in the normal weight range, which is supposed to increase chances of a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
October 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
I've tried to take out as much caffeine as I can. I was very much a tea drinker (like multiple cups a day) but I've made the switch to herbals and de-caffeinated black teas. Cutting out caffeine is something I was actually trying to do before I started TTC because I have problems with headaches, but this was the push I needed.

I've mostly stopped drinking alcohol as well, but again, this was happening before I started TTC because of the headache problems. However, between CD1-8 I still enjoy a few drinks here and there .

Other than that, I haven't done that much. I should probably try and be more active... but that's one of the things I haven't made myself do yet

~thanks to Jaidynsmum for my perfect siggy!~

October 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pretty similar to you. I started weaning myself off of regular coffee a few months ago, and now I'm to the point that I can survive most days caffeine free and just have decaf most mornings. If I feel like I need a little something extra, though, I usually go for a cup of black or green tea. Its not quite like my coffee, but it helps. I've also cut out soda, but I never really drank much of that to start with anyway.

As far as alcohol goes, I still drink it in moderation while I'm waiting to O, and maybe a glass of beer or wine occasionally after (since I was always pretty sure I wasnt PG anyway). In the past couple cycles, though, I really haven't had much alcohol at all during the 2WW. If I ever start to feel any possible PG symptoms I won't drink any alcohol until I know for sure. Hoping this is the cycle I get to do that
October 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie22 View Post
I really wish I liked green tea, but I just don't. I do drink a cup of peppermint tea almost every evening, though.
Have you tried any different types of green teas? I have a mint one (peppermint and spearmint) that's really good, along with a pomegranate raspberry one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP83 View Post
Pretty similar to you. I started weaning myself off of regular coffee a few months ago, and now I'm to the point that I can survive most days caffeine free and just have decaf most mornings. If I feel like I need a little something extra, though, I usually go for a cup of black or green tea. Its not quite like my coffee, but it helps.
I probably should have weaned myself off caffeine as well, but went cold turkey and felt pretty bad for a little while. My body felt really off!

October 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKat View Post
Have you tried any different types of green teas? I have a mint one (peppermint and spearmint) that's really good, along with a pomegranate raspberry one.
What brand? I actually just recently bought a pomegranate-raspberry, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it's Stash.

October 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Quote:
What brand? I actually just recently bought a pomegranate-raspberry, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it's Stash.
Stash is the brand . Hope you like it! I like a little honey in my green tea.

October 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I drink a green tea made by Tazo called Zen. It's also got Spearmint and Lemongrass in it and I find it soooo refreshing. The spearmint is where it's at!

About the green tea, I also read that tannic acid, I believe, can neutralize folic acid so if green tea is going to be a regular thing during ttc its a good idea to take an additional supplement.

7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
October 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfiddleheads View Post
About the green tea, I also read that tannic acid, I believe, can neutralize folic acid so if green tea is going to be a regular thing during ttc its a good idea to take an additional supplement.
Good to know. I've got that covered. In addition to my prenatal vitamin, I'm also taking a B complex, which has extra folic acid.

October 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKat View Post
I probably should have weaned myself off caffeine as well, but went cold turkey and felt pretty bad for a little while. My body felt really off!
I weaned myself over a period of about 4-6 weeks, and even that was tough. I would just CRASH early afternoons and had some nasty headaches. That's all really gone away now, though. I still feel a little more tired in the afternoon than I used to, but its tolerable.

Not gonna lie though, I desperately miss my regular coffee!
October 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Not gonna lie though, I desperately miss my regular coffee!

October 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Quote:
I weaned myself over a period of about 4-6 weeks, and even that was tough. I would just CRASH early afternoons and had some nasty headaches. That's all really gone away now, though.
Sometime we don't really realize how much of a drug caffeine is, but it's always overlooked as a social passtime or a necessity in starting the day. Our bodies become addicted to caffeine, but don't really realize it until we make a conscious decision to NOT drink it. Headaches are a super common withdrawal symptom.

I commend anyone who gives up caffeine successfully

7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in

Last edited by ohfiddleheads; October 7th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
October 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I also quit drinking caffiene before we starting ttc. I never drank more than 1 diet soda a day so it wasn't to difficult for me. I still on occasion will have a diet soda or tea. I don't drink a lot so from time to time I will have a glass of wine or a drink when AF is in town. I make sure to eat heatlhy and exercise!

I have also read drinking green tea with vitamins can steal some of the nutrition from the vitamin, I have heard this with caffeinated coffee to so I would recommend just waiting a while after drinking either of those before taking your vitamins!

Forever missing my angel 2010

October 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I don't drink pop, but I do drink my morning coffee. I've began cutting it with decaf to ease off, but its so hard. Aside from the caffeine to keep me going all day, TMI - it keeps me regular. I know that I'll have to find a tea that I can substitute with.

I haven't really been drinking much, only when I KNOW I'm not pregnant.
October 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug115 View Post
Aside from the caffeine to keep me going all day, TMI - it keeps me regular.
If you love the laxative quality in coffee, have no fear. Decaf has the same effect. I was wondering about that, so I googled it, plus I do notice that whenever I drink drip decaf I get the same urge to go. To me, this is great news because it means I will have an enjoyable means of staying regular DURING pregnancy should constipation be a prominent symptom.

7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
October 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfiddleheads View Post
If you love the laxative quality in coffee, have no fear. Decaf has the same effect. I was wondering about that, so I googled it, plus I do notice that whenever I drink drip decaf I get the same urge to go. To me, this is great news because it means I will have an enjoyable means of staying regular DURING pregnancy should constipation be a prominent symptom.
Hmmm? I have noticed a huge difference switching to decaf. I'm not nearly as regular. But in addition to switching to decaf, I have also just cut back on coffee in general. So maybe that's the reason.

October 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
elle8's Avatar Super Mommy
After reading some fertility books I cut all artificial sweeteners. I now use only Stevia. So that means no soda at all, not even diet and being a southern girl I love my sweet tea so I use Stevia for that as well. My next step is to cut sugar all together and maybe wheat. That is my goal for this next month. I cut out caffeine a while back (besides tea) so that wasnt a problem. If I drink hot tea, which I do in the morning it is decaf. If I hadnt all ready I would of cut all red meat and pork.

I am also trying to cut down on hot baths and working out during the TWW. This part is really hard for me because I am very type A and I need these things to relax, but whatever it takes.

Thanks ~Nicole~ for my perfect siggy!
October 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle8 View Post
After reading some fertility books I cut all artificial sweeteners. I now use only Stevia.
I recently just switched to stevia as well. I never used much artificial sweeteners. I'm not a soda drinker, but I would use Splenda in hot tea from time to time. When I read about the possible effects of artificial sweeteners, I switched to stevia.

October 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
elle8's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I recently just switched to stevia as well. I never used much artificial sweeteners. I'm not a soda drinker, but I would use Splenda in hot tea from time to time. When I read about the possible effects of artificial sweeteners, I switched to stevia.
I used Splenda in everything. Oatmeal, cereal, tea, you name it. I knew it wasnt great but I knew it was better than other artificial sweeteners, then I read up on it. About a month after I cut it I noticed I had less headaches and I have really bad migraines. I think this has been contributing to that. Stevia takes a little getting used to and I had to find the right one but it is much better and all natural.

Thanks ~Nicole~ for my perfect siggy!
October 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle8 View Post
I used Splenda in everything. Oatmeal, cereal, tea, you name it. I knew it wasnt great but I knew it was better than other artificial sweeteners, then I read up on it. About a month after I cut it I noticed I had less headaches and I have really bad migraines. I think this has been contributing to that. Stevia takes a little getting used to and I had to find the right one but it is much better and all natural.
I have to use a little more stevia than I did Splenda, to get the desired sweetness that I want. I totally forgot until you mentioned it, but I also used Splenda in my oatmeal. I switched to using honey and fruit, but I'll have to try stevia and see if I like it.

Why did you decide to stop exercising in the 2WW?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search